PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Being A Patriots Fan Is Being a Wreck This Time of Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Right now in Santa Clara, a lonely 49ers fan is sitting in his cubicle and saying to himself "Geez, don't I wish I was a Patriots fan right now. It must be a blast following that team right now.

More...

Right now in Santa Clara, a lonely 49ers fan is sitting in his cubicle and saying to himself "Geez, don't I wish I was a Patriots fan right now. It must be a blast following that team right now.

More...

I don't understand the significance of a 49ers fan? Why not Rams or any team on the top of the draft pick list? Do you know somebody there?

I recalled the Christmas/New Yr season of 1984. I was dreadfully in SF for some business, lonely away from family and friends. I sit at a bar in my hotel, watching a niners game (don't remember which one), among mostly 49ers fans. This was before the days of Internet, ESPN, and massive media coverage. Only in the Bay Area did anyone hear talks about how great this 49ers team were, going for 15-1. I recalled reading local coverage or listening to some radio talks that it were something historic, a team going for the most wins ever (?)... But the hype in the pre-media-overload days was not as much as the present 16-0 Pats. The national sport talk at the time was more about the phenom rookie Dan Marino. (Although Joe Montana was of course a star also. Brady must have been... what, 7 yrs old? started watching JM?)

A couple 49ers fans made a conversation with me, and I replied that I came from Boston and were a Pats fans (a doormat of AFC East). Trying hard not to be patronizing, they politely asked casual questions (they knew nothing of the Pats) and made pleasantry remarks wishing the Pats well. Perhaps not unlike a Pats fan now making good wishes to the Saints or Rams.

All they wanted to talk about were actually the AFC East top dog Miami. They boldly predicted that if the two teams would meet in SB, 49ers would win (of course, 49ers fans!), but I recalled one or two did express some fear of Miami and Marino.

Fast forward to present, who could have imagined, 23 yrs ago, where the Pats, Miami, and 49ers are currently right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News