PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Offensive Line Coach Unpopular with Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definalty believable...is it the case? Idk

Mankins did sign an extension. A couple of years ago! One that made him the highest paid guard in NFL history (I think?). What he would not do this summer was renegotiate that extension to take less money. Scar not being the Oline coach any longer had zero bearing on Mankins not being willing to renegotiate. There's a big difference between an extension and a renegotiation.

Mankins did sign an extension. A couple of years ago! One that made him the highest paid guard in NFL history (I think?). What he would not do this summer was renegotiate that extension to take less money. Scar not being the Oline coach any longer had zero bearing on Mankins not being willing to renegotiate. There's a big difference between an extension and a renegotiation.

I don't think so. That was his first post rookie deal. Mankins has never taken less than the absolute best contract terms.

Brady got sacked 40 times last year, the most since 41 in his rookie year of "01. Was that all Scars fault? I don't remember to many posts decrying him (although there may have been a couple, it was miniscule)

If you are fired from an organization that totally sucks, it means that you suck at sucking . Which means you're good. Count the negatives and get an even number.

BB is good. He was fired from an organization that totally sucks, it means that he sucks at sucking .

Rex Ryan has not been fired from an organization that totally sucks, means that he excels at sucking.

Sucking 101.

Brady got sacked 40 times last year, the most since 41 in his rookie year of "01. Was that all Scars fault? I don't remember to many posts decrying him (although there may have been a couple, it was miniscule)
Honestly Brady being sacked 7 times is not the issue it is the number of hits he has taken. He was sacked last season but he was not taking close to as many hits.

He's unpopular with fans too. I know our line isn't great, but damn, its been bad.

No it's not enough; as has been stated multiple times on various threads it wasn't for being a bad coach.

Speaking of coaches who were fired by bad teams, Belichick is in that group, fired by the Browns. I guess he sucks too.

Belichick also used to be with the Jesters. Was he fired or just pushed to quit.

All this *****ing about Guglielmo is just scapegoating. The reality is there are new players and players playing new positions. It just takes time to come together.

As to the "Talent" question. For the first time in the Belichick era, all the potential starters and rookies are relatively high draftees, as opposed to some UDFAs. Their athletic credentials are superior to virtually all the BB era Offensive lines. I don't buy it.

Honestly Brady being sacked 7 times is not the issue it is the number of hits he has taken. He was sacked last season but he was not taking close to as many hits.

But he was. I went through the box scores and did the math, posted on another thread:

I don't know about pressures, but from looking at the box scores Brady's been hit 14 times so far this season. He was hit 16 times in the first 3 games of 2013. An interesting pattern:

Game 1: 9 hits by the Bills in 2013 (3 sacks), 6 hits by the Dolphins in 2014 (4 sacks)
Game 2: 1 hit by the Jets in 2013 (1 sack), 2 hits by the Vikings in 2014 (1 sack)
Game 3: 6 hits by the Bucs in 2013 (3 sacks), 6 hits by the Raiders in 2014 (2 sacks)

The 2013 line continued to struggle: 2 QB hits and 0 sacks to Atlanta week 4 (week), 8 QB hits and 4 sacks to Cincinnati week 5 (loss), 7 QB hits and 5 sacks to New Orleans week 6 (last minute win), 3 QB hits and 4 sacks to the Jets week 7 (loss), 4 QB hits and 3 sacks to Miami week 8 (win), 6 QB hits and 3 sacks to Pittsburgh week 9 (blowout win), 6 QB hits and 2 sacks to Carolina week 11 (loss), 6 QB hits and 3 sacks to Denver week 12 (OT win), 5 QB hits and 1 sack to Houston week 13 (win), 6 QB hits and 4 sacks to Cleveland week 14 (last minute win), 7 QB hits and 1 sack to Miami week 15 (win), 4 QB hits and 2 sacks to Baltimore week 16 (blowout win), 2 QB hits and 1 sack to Buffalo week 17 (win; Pats with 267 yards rushing and only 24 pass attempts).

Brady got hit a lot last year. Atlanta and Buffalo were probably the 2 best OL games, and rushing the ball effectively and cutting down on Brady's pass attempts definitely helped decrease the amount he got hit.

Brady was sacked 40 times in 2013, and hit 82 times. Ouch.

WRONG !!! He had taken 16 hits in 2013s first 3 games and 7 sacks,

In 2014 he has been sacked an equal 7 times but hit only 15 times through 3 games. A miniscule difference to be sure.

But last year conventional wisdom blamed the rookie receivers for the problem completing passes and QB pressure. This year, conventional wisdom is blaming the revised interior Offensive line ... and the receivers, RBs, TEs, OC, OL Coach, BB, Phase of the Moon, the Galactic position, Global Warming, Acid Rain, ALAR, the heartbreak of Psoriasis etc.

it is if he cant coach

Quitting your job is different to being **** at your job. I haven't liked a lot of people I've worked with (and still don't) but I pride myself on the quality of work I deliver. Truthfully, they sound like mentally weak folk without the fortitude to sit down with their HOD, work through their issues and find common ground to coexist. If they choose to leave after doing so, then fair play. Then again, I've always stressed open lines of communication to quash issues immediately.

In my opinion, there are incredibly horrible bosses but that's an exception not the rule. I'm not sure what the standards are in the US but in Australia, there are employee protection policies for workplace bullying and harassment.

Last edited:
Wasn't LaFell complaining last week about being frustrated by all the blocking he has to do?

Seems to me that if anyone on the team is talking to Bedard, the Patriots have some issues with team leadership. There's more squawking now than I can remember since the Adalius Thomas days.

Wasn't LaFell complaining last week about being frustrated by all the blocking he has to do?

Seems to me that if anyone on the team is talking to Bedard, the Patriots have some issues with team leadership. There's more squawking now than I can remember since the Adalius Thomas days.

Ya I'm not in the panic crowd but this is a little bit alarming. Who do you think the rat is?

Being the biggest dbag on the jets us appalling.

rex-ryan-middle-finger-pic.jpg

WRONG !!! He had taken 16 hits in 2013s first 3 games and 7 sacks,

In 2014 he has been sacked an equal 7 times but hit only 15 times through 3 games. A miniscule difference to be sure.

But last year conventional wisdom blamed the rookie receivers for the problem completing passes and QB pressure. This year, conventional wisdom is blaming the revised interior Offensive line ... and the receivers, RBs, TEs, OC, OL Coach, BB, Phase of the Moon, the Galactic position, Global Warming, Acid Rain, ALAR, the heartbreak of Psoriasis etc.

Last year through 3 games

Brady's top 5 receiving targets from the previous year were unavailable and the adjustment period was taking place
Amendola got hurt week 1
Brady ended up throwing to 2 rookie WRs.
OHOH and Mulligan were the TE1 and TE2

Yeah, the receiving was to blame. It didn't take rocket science to see it. The thing is: Brady was able to hold the ball for a bit. It didn't matter, because the receivers couldn't do anything right, but Brady had more time.

This year

Scar's gone
Mankins was traded late in the exhibition season
All 3 IOL positions have been altered
Dobson's recovering from foot surgery
Amendola's seemingly either hurt again or still isn't 100% from last year
LaFell's new to the system
Wright came over at the end of the exhibtion season and is still learning the ropes
Gronk's still working his way back from ACL surgery

Yeah, the OL is largely to blame, and the Patriots obviously know that, as can be seen by their playcalling. And pointing to 2013 as having allowed more hits is incredibly misleading, particularly given the fact that the Patriots have gone so heavily into the 6OL/3 step drop/1 read playcalling so far this year (particularly in game 2, where they also threw the ball just over 20 times), in order to make up for what the team knows is terrible OL play. Beyond that, there are 2 more new receivers and 2 medical recoveries clearly still in progress. This year, Brady not only has receivers who can't get open, he also has less time to throw.

Take all that, and add in a new OL coach who's ruffling feathers, and you've got a recipe for just the sort of crap we've been seeing out of this offense.

Last edited:
Dave DeGuglielmo, whose abrasive personality irked members of the organization and made him an easy target for the media, was fired Tuesday after one season as the Jets' offensive-line coach.
DeGuglielmo's ouster came as no surprise. He was closely aligned with coordinator Tony Sparano, who was fired after the season, so it was only a matter of time before he received a pink slip.
First quote sounds like media trotting out the bs they got from their "source" copied verbatim (lazy reporter) where the source has a personal grudge with the guy.
He'll be remembered for his almost comical, ill-fated vote of confidence for Wayne Hunter. Defending the embattled lineman last spring, DeGuglielmo said, "Until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son-of-a-gun is going to be the starting right tackle. And he's going to play well."
Ooooooh, crucify a guy for supporting a guy who works for him, that's not an admirable trait! (;)
Hunter was shipped out a few months later.
Juxtapose this with article text next quote down. Gee, last I heard the guy making all these personnel decisions and most likely pushing the playing time got fired later on too.
DeGuglielmo is a tightly-wound coach who sparked a brushfire in November, when, in a heated interview session with reporters, suggested the front office was pulling the strings with regard to playing time. He made it clear he wasn't in favor of the Matt Slauson-Vladimir Ducasse platoon at left guard, saying the decision came from "high above me." That comment didn't sit well with the people high above him.

He did only three interviews during the year, each one more contentious than the last. In training camp, he warned a handful of reporters to take a step back from him, saying he needed room to spit tobacco juice. In November, he practically walked into the interview room kicking and screaming, making it clear he was there only because he had to fulfill the NFL media obligation.

By league rule, position coaches are required to speak to the media at least once during the regular season -- the bye week. The Jets closed their offices during the bye week because of Superstorm Sandy. DeGuglielmo, seemingly oblivious toward the devastating impact of the storm on the region, snapped at reporters, claiming he was available during the bye week. Team officials cringed.
Sounds like aBB kind of guy when it comes to media and desire to speak to them. And if hadn't told them to move back and they got spattered, how would this para read - no winning.
DeGuglielmo was ultra-defensive, claiming no one in the media was qualified to criticize the performance of the offensive line. Truth be told, he didn't do a bad job, but he may have sabotaged his employment by speaking out.
"If you think this line stinks and I'm a terrible coach, so be it," he said at the time. "I disagree and I think my bosses would say the same thing."
He spoke too soon.
All in all it appears to be a carefully orchestrated hit piece that some lapdog media wrote to appease and reward a source with a grudge. That said, there could be some truth in there and bb may have hired a lower quality guy as a pity-reclamation hire because he saw the guy had been jobbed. But I'll wait for more evidence one way or the other.

PFF for what it's worth has reported that Brady had 2.57 seconds to throw his completions in the first 3 games of 2013. He has taken 2.65 seconds for his completions in 2014.

Brady had 3.57 seconds per sack in 2013, and 3.65 seconds per sack in 2014.

He has had slightly more time this year counter-intuitively. The disorganized newcomers are doing a slightly better job already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3