PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: How the Redskins Beat the Giants TWICE this Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know if you even watched the game.

When they ran, the series died. When they passed, they gashed the Giants.

I mean, look it up for heaven's sake.

I gave you facts, you gave opinion.

The last two times these two teams played the Pats P-R ratio has been 48-16 and 49-24.

The Pats lost both times.

The Giants have a great pass-rushing DL and are mediocre against the run.

Keep believing what you want, Mr. Martz.

Last edited:
We'll have to see how it works out with Gronk. I expect they'll try to determine how much he can use his ankle. Though it might loosen up as the game goes on and I hope his father was planting misinformation. Low probability on both, but we won't know until game time no matter what the experts theorize.

I say we remain balanced, try our thing and adapt to whatever the Giants are giving us. I expect this time adjustments to be made on the fly and this team will definitely respond.

Both teams seem mentally tough, so I'd really like to get up on them and keep the foot on the gas (I don't ask for much).

At worst gronk becomes an extra blocker for most of the game against that giants pass rush.

I gave you facts, you gave opinion.

The last two times these two teams played the Pats P-R ratio has been 48-16 and 49-24.

The Pats lost both times.

The Giants have a great pass-rushing DL and are mediocre against the run.

Keep believing what you want, Mr. Martz.

I just gave you a bunch of facts on the previous post showing what happened series by series in the first half. When they passed, they moved the ball. When they ran, they sputtered.

Look it up yourself.

How can you call it opinion when it is a FACTUAL account of the 1st half series?

Last edited:
Patriots tried to run the ball at the Giants in the game this year, and were getting stoned. If you guess right that the Patriots are going to run, it's the best formula for keeping Brady off the field. Put Brady in 2 and 8s and 3 and 7s because you're selling out in the run early, and it'll be late 2nd quarter before the Patriots figure it out.

I think they need a running back there, but they should use small dump offs to the RB to set up the run later on. Come out balanced.

Then you can pick your spots for running it at the Giants. When the Giants bring their bigs in to stop your run, that's when you have them. At that point, it's no huddle all the way.

The Patriots ran the ball with 4.4 yard average first time out. Plenty good to keep the Giants honest up front. My bet is that the balance is better than the first game and that you'll see at least two end arounds or Hernandez rushing plays in each half to keep them guessing.

Your point about long 2nd and 3rd downs is just plain wrong. Tom Brady averaged 8.6 yards per passing attempt this year, and a stunning 13.1 yards per completion. 2nd and 8s and 3rd and 7s are another day at the office for this offense.

Check it out: Tom Brady NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sigh.

I said "coming out running the ball." You took my post completely out of context.

The mistake was running it for little success in the first half when the defenses are typically stout.

Don't believe me?

Go back and look at the game:

Series #1: Ran the ball 3 times, punted after 4 plays.

Series #2: Ran the ball twice for a 3-and-out.

Series #3: Started passing the ball finally. 2 runs out of 8 plays, just 2 runs for 7 yards, the series gained 63 yards total.

Series #4: back to the run, 2 runs for 4 yards, 5 plays. Out.

Series #5: Mostly passing. 3 runs for 11 yards, 3 runs out of 12 plays. Total of 83 yards. Missed FG.

Halftime points scored: ZERO.

You aren't fooling anyone. That loss had absolutely nothing to do with the way we were running the ball.

You aren't fooling anyone. That loss had absolutely nothing to do with the way we were running the ball.

Go on, ignore the facts. They are written right there in bald face. In the first half, they passed and moved the ball. When they ran, they sputtered. That's a fact.

The Patriots ran the ball with 4.4 yard average first time out. Plenty good to keep the Giants honest up front. My bet is that the balance is better than the first game and that you'll see at least two end arounds or Hernandez rushing plays in each half to keep them guessing.

Your point about long 2nd and 3rd downs is just plain wrong. Tom Brady averaged 8.6 yards per passing attempt this year, and a stunning 13.1 yards per completion. 2nd and 8s and 3rd and 7s are another day at the office for this offense.

Check it out: Tom Brady NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

It's like one bizarre post after another in this thread. You're giving me general stats over the season, while I'm giving you how the Patriots did against the Giants in the first half. In the first half, they ran the ball on early downs, got into 3rd and longs, and sputtered. when they passed on early downs, they moved the ball. When they ran, they gained very little. This is an indisputable fact.

Showing me how Brady did against other teams doesn't change anything.

Go on, ignore the facts. They are written right there in bald face. In the first half, they passed and moved the ball. When they ran, they sputtered. That's a fact.

You'll have to be more specific than that in trying to prove that we ran too much in that game.

Remember that even after the 4 turnovers, we were still up 13-10. They scored (off Brown's DPI that got them 35 free yards), then we scored, then they scored (one big pass and one TD to Bollard who was being covered by Tracy White who did not, not once, turn back to look).

So to me, the reason we lost that game had a lot more to do with the shaky defense (benching an useless Haynesworth, losing Spikes, losing Chung) than anything else.

You'll have to be more specific than that in trying to prove that we ran too much in that game.

Remember that even after the 4 turnovers, we were still up 13-10. They scored (off Brown's DPI that got them 35 free yards), then we scored, then they scored (one big pass and one TD to Bollard who was being covered by Tracy White who did not, not once, turn back to look).

So to me, the reason we lost that game had a lot more to do with the shaky defense (benching an useless Haynesworth, losing Spikes, losing Chung) than anything else.

You're moving the goalposts. I never said we ran too much. My post said we should come out throwing to establish the run. I wrote we should not go into the game looking to ram it down the Giants throats, because in the last game, they sold out in the first half to stop the run. And they did. This was largely why 3 of the 5 possessions in the first half died after 5 plays or less.

I'm all for running, but only as a secondary tactic, as it was used against the Ravens. In my view, the offense used against the Ravens is precisely the one the Patriots should use against the Giants, but with greater accuracy from Brady.

IMO its all about the run game

Run to keep them off balance, setup play action and so they cant pin ears back and rush the qb..this game is ALL about our run game. So BOB no empty sets please.

Plus will setup shorter 3rd downs and protection wount have to be held as long.

Run to keep them off balance, setup play action and so they cant pin ears back and rush the qb..this game is ALL about our run game. So BOB no empty sets please.

I look at what the Saints did to the Giants more than Washington. NO put 49 up on the NYG this year. At home in the Superdome. They ran for 205 yards on only 30 carriers. We have to make their pass rushers respect the run. Brees was 24/38 363yds.

Agree about the empty sets. Keep a back in there and run some draw plays. I'd also like to see a shuttle pass to Woodhead. I think Ridley plays a little in this game. Need his quickness back there. Not if in poor field position. That killed us in that first game against them this year. But if we are past the 30. I have no problem giving Ridley the ball.

In 09 Brees put 48 up on them at the Superdome. 23/30 369YD 4 TD. Only ran for 124yards. But, had 40 attempts. Seems like they make the Giants respect the run and try to hit em deep. We don't have that deep threat. But, would like to see one or two shots downfield to keep their post safety back there. In that first game, Ochocinco beat his guy but Brady threw behind him. Didn't lead him across the field or it might have been a td. I think that was the game where there was speculation about Tom's arm bothering him. Didn't really drill a couple of balls in there. Kinda like last week. Hope the week off makes his arm stronger and allows him to do that.

The Patriots haven't been about the run game since 2006. Don't expect it to be about the run game on Sunday, either.

The Patriots haven't been about the run game since 2006.

How many Super Bowls rings has that produced?

But, hey, let's build a statue to Mike Martz.

Last edited:
The Patriots haven't been about the run game since 2006. Don't expect it to be about the run game on Sunday, either.

If Gronkowski is limited, the running game will be emphasized more. If we see increased ends-around with Welker, Edelman and Hernandez in addition to a steady diet of BJGE and Woodhead, it will probably be a sign that Gronk is less effective than usual.

I imagine Gronkowski will spend a lot of the day running slants across the middle to drag a linebacker with him or to occupy a zone with a run into his area so he can block rather than catch. He can still be effective even if he can't run with the ball the way we are used to seeing him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News