PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: How the Redskins Beat the Giants TWICE this Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Pats pass more than they run in this game, BOB should be fired by Penn State before he even gets one game in over there.

The ring is there for the Pats' taking if they commit to the run. They are playing Russian Roulette if they plan on dropping Brady back 35+ times against the four sprinters on their line.

I agree. You have to figure BJGE is the main guy and I see Faulk playing a major role as well as Woodhead. There is no way Ridley plays IMO.

They're pass rushers are relatively light in Tuck, JPP, and Osi but they are superquick on backside pursuit. I feel like everyone else if they commit to the run they can wear those guys down. You gotta figure even the strongest light guys get worn down by being leaned on continuously.

You gotta figure Polite is gonna be a factor. I'll have to research when he was picked up, if he was picked up right after week 9 for a game like this not that they would know they would be playing the giants.

If the giants wants to put all 3 pass rushers with Canty on the field the Pats need to go no huddle not so much for speed but to trap them on the field with the tightends to wear them down. let them rush alll they want, just got to block with great technique.

Brady should not be in the shotgun with the empty set.

Nicks is really good but I think the guy to double is Cruz. he ate up the niners with something like 10 catches in the first half but the niners made an adjustment and had so many opportunities to intercept Eli but collided with their own teammates.

McCourty needs to be the 2nd safety. you need these guys to play over the top for help. I can just see Nicks getting behind Arrington. I can see Cruz doing a slant.

Do you jam Cruz?

Mark Anderson has played great but he and Ninko can't overpursue and flush Eli from the pocket. This is gonna be a big game for Deadrick, Wilfork, and Love coollapsing the pocket. If the two outside guys can contain the interior guys can do their job just like in the Baltimore game.

I agree. You have to figure BJGE is the main guy and I see Faulk playing a major role as well as Woodhead. There is no way Ridley plays IMO.

They're pass rushers are relatively light in Tuck, JPP, and Osi but they are superquick on backside pursuit. I feel like everyone else if they commit to the run they can wear those guys down. You gotta figure even the strongest light guys get worn down by being leaned on continuously.

You gotta figure Polite is gonna be a factor. I'll have to research when he was picked up, if he was picked up right after week 9 for a game like this not that they would know they would be playing the giants.

If the giants wants to put all 3 pass rushers with Canty on the field the Pats need to go no huddle not so much for speed but to trap them on the field with the tightends to wear them down. let them rush alll they want, just got to block with great technique.

Brady should not be in the shotgun with the empty set.

Polite was picked up before the Bills game, after Brady hurt his shoulder doing one too many sneaks against the Fish. Not that that has stopped him, the QB sneak is one of the most unstoppable plays for short yardage in the NFL, especially when you have a QB who is willing to take the hits on 2nd and 1.

There will never be a game we run more than pass without 40mph sustained winds or a 30+ point lead. Ideally, I'm looking for 55% pass 45% run at worst. Giants can be run on, but expecting a PASS FIRST team to run the ball more is just silly.

We will run far more than SB42, count on that, but BOB will not call more run plays than pass. If he does that with TB, WW, AH, and RG, THEN he should be fired upon arrival.

I figure this is a big game for Hernandez lined up in the backfield whether it be shotgun or under the center.

Perry Fewell doesn't exactly strike me as a defensive mastermind. I hope Josh and BOB have some big surprises for him.

Pats need to study up on those two games. There may be something the Pats can do to defeat the stinkin' giants.

Giants were not able to stop Helu and Royster in their last meeting. THe Skins basically ran the ball down their throats and never allowed Eli to get into a rhythm.

I like using the game plan the giants used against the bills in SB 25. The giants had the ball for something like 40 minutes that game! it's the same thing the giants did to the pats in the last super bowl. Win the time of possession battle.

This may not be the thread to discuss this but,...

I think McCourty moving to safety is more a function of trying to have the best 4-5 DBs on the field. (i.e. avoid having to play Sergio Brown on defense).

Everyone always has the same game plan for a high flying passing attack: jam and reroute the receivers and get to the QB with 4 down lineman. The best way to beat this defense, as many have pointed out in this thread, is to run the ball into their defensive line.

The Patriots are not a good screen team. Don't throw screens please...

If the Pats pass more than they run in this game, BOB should be fired by Penn State before he even gets one game in over there.

The ring is there for the Pats' taking if they commit to the run. They are playing Russian Roulette if they plan on dropping Brady back 35+ times against the four sprinters on their line.
I agree to a point. The Giants are definitely a pass defense by design. At the same time, the Pats are a passing offense, and that's where their playmakers are. I think we should run more than normal, open up the play action, and keep Eli off the field. If they do those things, it doesn't matter to me what the run/pass ratio is.

One thing to consider. They aren't a 3-4 defense, and that will make it harder to chip the tight ends on the way to Brady... and even if they did, that would slow down their pass rush. The Ravens had success against us because they were able to do that.

The Giants would have to come up with a more creative alignment, or use their linebackers. And frankly, their linebackers aren't even close to Baltimore's. Boley, while very good, is basically Gary Guyton on steroids, not a physical guy like Jarrett Johnson, Suggs, or Kruger. The Gmen had trouble with SF's tight ends.

NY also don't disguise well, which spells big trouble when you're playing against Brady if he has time (which he did in week 9, contrary to popular belief).

Patriots tried to run the ball at the Giants in the game this year, and were getting stoned. If you guess right that the Patriots are going to run, it's the best formula for keeping Brady off the field. Put Brady in 2 and 8s and 3 and 7s because you're selling out in the run early, and it'll be late 2nd quarter before the Patriots figure it out.

I think they need a running back there, but they should use small dump offs to the RB to set up the run later on. Come out balanced.

Then you can pick your spots for running it at the Giants. When the Giants bring their bigs in to stop your run, that's when you have them. At that point, it's no huddle all the way.

Sounds like keeping Cruz and Nicks from hurting you deep is not letting Manning get out of the pocket. So lane discipline is a high priority.

I like our outside rush of late. I say they can get it done. Hopefully the secondary can stay on their assignments long enough.
As an aside, I'd love to see Edelman catch the game-winning touchdown... from Eli. :cool:

Pats can run on the Gaints also, some no huddle to wear down the Giants rushers.

Yeah, I like the Pats' first possession of the 2nd quarter vs. the Ravens a lot.
Heavy doses of Green-Ellis up the middle for chain-moving gains, back to back, not to mention the TD run to finish it. Ravens D was getting pushed around big-time on that last play.
If the Giants are committed to "lighter, faster" up front, they may be in for a long one, if the Pats can grind out a couple (or more) series like that.

Patriots tried to run the ball at the Giants in the game this year, and were getting stoned.

Wrong.

The Patriots were 24 for 108yds on the ground in this year's game. That's no stoning.

Meanwhile, Brady passed 49 times.

The definition of insanity is making the same mistake over and over again.

In SB 42 the Patriots pass-rush ratio was 48-16.

Exactly how many times do you want the Patriots to bang their heads against the wall?

Last edited:
I believe passing the rock is our bread and butter. I think the key is to make sure we do not get into long 3rd downs. I also believe that we need to keep them honest with a few runs mixed in. Just like what Belichick would do , we do not want to be one dimensional. This is what we always want to do against good defenses ..... it all comes down to execution...and nothing else.....

easier said than done...

Take no prisoners......

"Bread and butter" of DEFEAT against this team.

So the last two meaningful games against this team with almost the same strengths of our offense against their pass rush, you want the Patriots to continue to bang their heads against the wall until the wall falls?

That's the Mike Martz College of Blowing Championships.

Last edited:
I would be very happy if the Patriots game plan and execute similar to the first regular season Jets encounter in 2011.

Then again, I don't really care what they do as long as they win.

One thing to consider. They aren't a 3-4 defense, and that will make it harder to chip the tight ends on the way to Brady... and even if they did, that would slow down their pass rush. The Ravens had success against us because they were able to do that.
We'll have to see how it works out with Gronk. I expect they'll try to determine how much he can use his ankle. Though it might loosen up as the game goes on and I hope his father was planting misinformation. Low probability on both, but we won't know until game time no matter what the experts theorize.

I say we remain balanced, try our thing and adapt to whatever the Giants are giving us. I expect this time adjustments to be made on the fly and this team will definitely respond.

Both teams seem mentally tough, so I'd really like to get up on them and keep the foot on the gas (I don't ask for much).

Wrong.

The Patriots were 24 for 108yds on the ground in this year's game. That's no stoning.

Meanwhile, Brady passed 49 times.

The definition of insanity is making the same mistake over and over again.

In SB 42 the Patriots pass-rush ratio was 48-16.

Exactly how many times do you want the Patriots to bang their heads against the wall?

Sigh.

I said "coming out running the ball." You took my post completely out of context.

The mistake was running it for little success in the first half when the defenses are typically stout.

Don't believe me?

Go back and look at the game:

Series #1: Ran the ball 3 times, punted after 4 plays.

Series #2: Ran the ball twice for a 3-and-out.

Series #3: Started passing the ball finally. 2 runs out of 8 plays, just 2 runs for 7 yards, the series gained 63 yards total.

Series #4: back to the run, 2 runs for 4 yards, 5 plays. Out.

Series #5: Mostly passing. 3 runs for 11 yards, 3 runs out of 12 plays. Total of 83 yards. Missed FG.

Halftime points scored: ZERO.

Last edited:
"Bread and butter" of DEFEAT against this team.

So the last two meaningful games against this team with almost the same strengths of our offense against their pass rush, you want the Patriots to continue to bang their heads against the wall until the wall falls?

That's the Mike Martz College of Blowing Championships.

I want to know if you even watched the game.

When they ran, the series died. When they passed, they gashed the Giants.

I mean, look it up for heaven's sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye