PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Be honest all of you old heads. What was your initial thought when we hired BB?

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I didn't think it would be all that great. A defensive coach replacing Carroll. Also, a
defensive coach. Didn't hate it. Was just surprised we went with someone who
didn't kill it in Cleveland. I know there were extenuating circumstances.

I didn't think it would be all that great. A defensive coach replacing Carroll. Also, a
I was excited as possibly could be.

He turned around the 1995 6-10 sieve of a defense into a Super Bowl defense upon his arrival.

He went with Parcells to the Jete and turned around that defense as well.

I'll tell you what disappointed me: after Parcells left, Belichick cleared out his office, Kraft tracked him down in the parking lot, they sat there talking for 4 hours, and the press speculated that Belichick was going to be the next coach. I'm sure Kraft offered him the position. I don't know why he didn't take it, but I suppose he did that out of loyalty to Parcells. It would've been great if Belichick took over a Super Bowl team right there and then.

Ha ha!

I wanted Terry Donahue/Dom Capers over giving up a first round pick for Belichick! Julian Peterson was taken with pick #16 that year....and Shaun Alexander a few picks later!

I was enthused at it, but hated giving up a 1st pick, especially after the Rats’ treachery with Bill Parcells.

Who could have dreamed it would play out as well as it did?

I thought......."I pray he never considers extending Drew Bledsoe"

Was super excited. Thought he was dynamic smart brilliant defensive mind who would bring discipline that was lacking under Pete the poodle.
Also Mcginest said he was psyched so that is all I needed to hear. Bill had been DC under Parcells in 86 and all the D guys loved him.
Pete was so weak and wishy washy and team was so mediocre with himas coach was happy to see him go.

Last edited:
I wanted to keep Carrol,
But when I saw the options were Belichick or Dom Capers I literally prayed for Belichick.
That Jets conference was legendary.
However when he came and dismantled a very talented team and brought in the corpses of Charles Johnson,Torrance Small, released Ben Coates, Didn’t bring back Jefferson, big play Clay, Slade, Rucci, Lane, Armstrong if memory serves right. I hated what he did to the Team,

He took my hero’s and jettisoned them out and released Milloy I was livid.
Then we did Ty law super dirty, and traded Glenn.

Ugh.

If it wasn’t for Brady man.

Just think, the Boston media wanted to fire him after that first year. They had the knives out for him. Didn't like his press conferences.

If Kraft had listened to the Boston news media... oh wait!~!!!

I liked the move, given that he was a brilliant defensive mind and I felt like his experience in Cleveland would make him a good fit here. And the one thing I'll also say is a lot of the cryptic stuff with the media came later in his career here after the team had more success. He talked openly and honestly about a lot of stuff during the early days, and was very forthcoming. He actually started out that way and then later pulled back, so he was a much different guy back then.

Honestly didn't know what to think! Was optimistic as he brung some pedigree with him from the Giants.. but optimistic..

I was in the military at the time. I was stationed on the West Coast. The internet was around but it's not like it was today. I heard some news of the Pats getting a new coach. But I wasn't paying that close attention to the team back then. I remember not liking Pete Carroll so was more or less onboard with a new guy.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back