PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB's contract status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Kraft is on 'EEI and they just asked him about BB's contract status. Kraft is answering it in THE MOST OBTUSE manner. Talking about stability, and partity in the NFL rather than answering the question. He says he HOPES BB will be around a few more years and he'd be a bad businessman if he didn't try to make that happen. Dale intertupted so he didn't get back to it.

The answer made me uncomfortable.

Was it really Obtuse or obscure?

Why uncomfortable? BB and Bob Kraft view contract information as confidential, I see nothing in this to worry anyone.

Hoodie said:
Kraft is on 'EEI and they just asked him about BB's contract status. Kraft is answering it in THE MOST OBTUSE manner. Talking about stability, and partity in the NFL rather than answering the question. He says he HOPES BB will be around a few more years and he'd be a bad businessman if he didn't try to make that happen. Dale intertupted so he didn't get back to it.

The answer made me uncomfortable.
Who do you think Kraft learned that from?

Modus operandi.

I think it was obtuse -- as in round about and without clarity.

A few months ago Kraft intimated that BB's contract was done. This did not sound nearly as certain.

Did anyone else hear it?

The last time BB had his contract extended, it was announced months after it was done. BB is at his most secretive when it comes to his private life and that's saying a lot.

There's nothing to worry about.

Pay him double whatever he asks for!

Maybe you guys are right but here's what Kraft said in January:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...t_tries_to_look_on_the_bright_side/?page=full

Per his policy, the Patriots chairman and CEO would not discuss specifics concerning Bill Belichick's contract situation, but for the first time he indicated that a contract extension or a new contract is in place.
Belichick, who signed a five-year deal when he joined the team in 2000, got a two-year extension (announced in July 2003) through the 2006 season.
Kraft said yesterday, however, that any representation of next season as the final year of Belichick's contract would be untrue.
''It's our intention that Bill will be the coach for some time," Kraft said. ''Bill Belichick and his staff have done a great job. In many ways, the coaching job this year was his most outstanding.​

What he said today made me throw up my ice coffee!

Hoodie said:
I think it was obtuse -- as in round about and without clarity.

A few months ago Kraft intimated that BB's contract was done. This did not sound nearly as certain.

Did anyone else hear it?

Sorry, I don't mean to quibble ;) but obtuse can mean insensitive, or it can also mean an angle greater than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees.

Obscure means unclear.

I ask because if Kraft was answering in the most obtuse manner, it could mean he was answering in the most insensitive manner. Now that would really be news! :D

smg93 said:
Sorry, I don't mean to quibble ;) but obtuse can mean insensitive, or it can also mean an angle greater than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees.

Obscure means unclear.

I ask because if Kraft was answering in the most obtuse manner, it could mean he was answering in the most insensitive manner. Now that would really be news! :D

Ok -- how about "vague" -- which I don't think is quite a strong enough description but I will go with it if we can agree on that? You must be a lawyer :)

I heard it and...I am not worried...as has been prevously stated..they really do NOT talk about contracts...simple..

haha, not a lawyer but have been reading a lot of contracts lately! Maybe that's it. :D

smg93 said:

Obscure means unclear.

I think obtuse basically means stupid. Obscure is difficult to see or faint.

Perhaps evasive is the word we are looking for.

smg93 said:
Was it really Obtuse or obscure?

Or perhaps a combination of the two: Obscuse, which is an obscene excuse.

spacecrime said:
I think obtuse basically means stupid. Obscure is difficult to see or faint.

Perhaps evasive is the word we are looking for.

Obtuse can mean stupid or insensitive. You are right about Obscure - difficult to see, faint or unclear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kraft and Belichick both have the perfect situation. As long as BB wants to coach, he will be here. Kraft has always taken care of the guys that need to be taken care of (when paying someone wasn't a coaches decision).

Hoodie said:
Maybe you guys are right but here's what Kraft said in January:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...t_tries_to_look_on_the_bright_side/?page=full

Per his policy, the Patriots chairman and CEO would not discuss specifics concerning Bill Belichick's contract situation, but for the first time he indicated that a contract extension or a new contract is in place.
Belichick, who signed a five-year deal when he joined the team in 2000, got a two-year extension (announced in July 2003) through the 2006 season.
Kraft said yesterday, however, that any representation of next season as the final year of Belichick's contract would be untrue.
''It's our intention that Bill will be the coach for some time," Kraft said. ''Bill Belichick and his staff have done a great job. In many ways, the coaching job this year was his most outstanding.​

What he said today made me throw up my ice coffee!

If BB's contract status makes you that uneasy you should seek help for ultimate chicken little complex.

Whether he is signed to a deal or not BB will leave when he's ready, and it likely won't have anything to do with money or another NFL opportunity IMO. The Krafts will pay him whatever it takes because that will basically be in the vacinity of his peers (and I use that term merely to encompass the coaching/GM ranks of the NFL) because other than being paid fairly he is not money driven and doesn't measure his value or the level to which he is respected by the size of his paycheck (although he fully appreciates that most around him do).

While he may seek out other opportunities to be challenged down the road, I don't think he has any plans to (for example) attempt to make a champion out of a moribound franchise with incompetent ownership just to prove he could do that too. Like his QB he values his legacy built here. I honestly could see him going to the college ranks - maybe one he has a connection to like Annapolis - when he tires of the NFL grind. Teaching is in his genes and it's the part of his job he enjoys just as much as winning. And I sense he'll want to do some writing as a student and teacher of the game and a football historian.

I don't think he's a man who would be comfortable leaving a job or a contract unfinished (unlike his own mentor who made a habit of that). He could easily have a 5 or even 10 year extension if he wants it - but perhaps he prefers to keep his own committment here more incremental so that those around him remain on their toes knowing they better make the most of their time with him and not make the mistake of equating posessing a piece of paper with job security. And so that those he is mentoring know they might even have a shot at his job sooner than they'd think. With long term security and contentment can come a malaise that doesn't jive with his model of continuing accountability. Bill doesn't like anything that smacks of contentment where a football team is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very thoughtful and penetrating essay, Mo.

Your surmise about a coaching afterlife at Navy would be highly appropriate,
were that to come true.

Hoodie, I don't think this is anything to worry about. BB likes to keep these things private. No need to worry over nothing. I also think he will be here long term and maybe move into a GM type roll like SP when he is done with coaching. Maybe like a talent evaluator or a consultant. I really don't see him coaching at the college level.

smg93 said:
Obtuse can mean stupid or insensitive. You are right about Obscure - difficult to see, faint or unclear.
Obscure literally means hidden. E.g, the sun was obscured by the clouds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News