PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB on Brandon Lafell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were the Pats even in on Sanders the second time around? I was under the impression that they wanted Sanders in 2013 (hence the offer sheet) but not in 2014 after Edelman's breakout year because Sanders was seen as a bit more redundant while LaFell added some size that was otherwise lacking. I don't think too many people here would complain about them picking Edelman over Sanders.

As a restricted free agent under player representative Jordan Woy, Sanders signed an offer sheet with the Patriots in 2013 -- only to see the Steelers match. He drew interest again from New England last March but couldn't find common ground on contract terms.

"Emmanuel loved it there," current agent Steve Weinberg told CSN New England's Tom Curran on Friday. "He said, 'Give me Danny Amendola's deal and I'm there.'"

Amendola signed for $28.5 million over five years, with $10 million in guarantees. Sanders ended up in Denver for $18 million over three years, with just $6 million in guarantees.

"New England was competitive throughout the process," Weinberg added. "Had they been aggressive from the beginning it would have gotten done, but, in this market, nobody knew what to do with the wide receivers."

Emmanuel Sanders nearly signed with Patriots - NFL.com

I've been really confused by the amount of vitriol aimed at LaFell. I guess it has to do with expectations. He almost had 1,000 yards last year and everyone must have hoped he would be able to fill in for Jules when he got injured.

But he is what he is. Even with the injuries robbing him of conditioning and timing at the beginning, his stats pro-rated to a full season would make this his second-best season in terms of catches and yards. He's always been a #2, never close to a #1, and when Jules got injured, he often faced the #1 corner. He has never been great at creating separation on his own. He has always had questionable hands. It's amazing to hear these things as if they're new.

He is what he is, a solid receiver when healthy, not elite, plays a role for a decent price, our #3 WR in terms of contract (Dola is the highest-paid WR this year don't forget), and he is what he is. With a fully healthy Jules, he'll go back to getting open against #2 corners and he'll drop some passes and he'll make some catches and he'll break some tackles here and there.

I guess because Dola started producing, we needed a new whipping boy. But save that for someone on the OL.

I still hope Lafell plays at or better than last year's playoffs level because he brings a lot more to the running game, more toughness and better at back shoulder passing game than any one else on the team.

I DON'T KNOW about that, Ive seen Dola make some unbelievable turn around catches that ended up being back shoulder fades this season

Why would you be confused? He's played like **** at a time when the team needed him to step up.

Minus the rust from injury, he's more or less been what he's always been.

When McCourty got hurt, it would be unrealistic to expect Ebner to step up as a Pro Bowl safety. But many seemed to expect LaFell to be a #1 WR when he's really a low #2, maybe even a #3 on many teams. And he is here as well with Gronk and Jules the main targets.

He didn't step up because he's never been capable of stepping up to that #1 role. To expect that of him has more to do with unrealistic expectations than his play.

I still think, maybe wishfully, LaFell will step up with the full Pats core of pass catchers and play an important role in this run. Willing to eat crow if I'm wrong of course. I've always been a big Blount supporter as well so take it FWIW. It's a marathon not a sprint and hopefully he can string together a solid performance or two together in the PO's as he works his way back to 100%.

If Edelman gronk and amendola are healthy and lafell is 4th option. I'm pretty confident about our odds of winning a few more games

I still think, maybe wishfully, LaFell will step up with the full Pats core of pass catchers and play an important role in this run. Willing to eat crow if I'm wrong of course. I've always been a big Blount supporter as well so take it FWIW. It's a marathon not a sprint and hopefully he can string together a solid performance or two together in the PO's as he works his way back to 100%.
We'll see what happens. He was decent in last years playoffs. If he can duplicate it I'll be happy.

It's a shame we didn't pursue sanders more aggressively he gets amazing separation

I would take sanders over Lafell

Minus the rust from injury, he's more or less been what he's always been.

That's simply not true, as his coach has clearly acknowledged in the process of defending him. As he noted:

“Brandon’s really pushed through,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said before Wednesday’s practice at Gillette Stadium. “Being on the PUP, he had a little extra time in terms of starting right at the beginning of the season, but anytime you come in the middle of the year without the full training cycle, the offseason, training camp and all that — you’re always playing catch up. You might marginalize the gap, but it’s not the same as having that whole period there.

“Mentally and schematically, I think that’s all caught up. Physically, it’s improving. It’s certainly good enough to be competitive. Is it as good as it would be without all the other training? No, I don’t think so.

Bill Belichick: Brandon LaFell 'Really Pushed Through' Amid Injury Struggles

Last edited:
The thing with LaFell, is we depend on him. The problem with LaFell, is we depend on him. He's just not dependable. And I'm getting tired of being let down, too often, when he was really needed. Never seem to get 100% out of him IMO. After this season I'd be happy if he were gone and made room for another experiment. ... BTW, did I use the word "Depend" too much? I guess it depends....o_O

Lafell can't be invisible even if we get edelman at 80 percent. He has to step up now.

It's a shame we didn't pursue sanders more aggressively he gets amazing separation

I would take sanders over Lafell
you would probably be complaining about something else Sanders was doing and saying how much he costs too much . Lafell is signed for very little which is hybrid deal was so good

Of course, everyone would.

Believe it or not, there were quite a lot of posters who felt that the Broncos had somehow made the wrong choice, and that we ended up with the more productive receiver.

Of course, they failed to realize that Sanders had 100+ catches last season, and that he's clearly proven himself to be a top threat.

I thought the LaFell signing was a nice one last FA period, but he's practically fallen off the face of the earth this season with 35 catches.

That's simply not true, as his coach has clearly acknowledged in the process of defending him. As he noted:

Bill Belichick: Brandon LaFell 'Really Pushed Through' Amid Injury Struggles

Okay, that's fair, he's not 100% what he can be. But I think even if he was 100% healthy, he wouldn't be what fans expect him to be.

The point is he's never been a guy who can consistently get open on his own. He relies on the system and other stars to take coverage away, and he was never going to be able to step up to fill Jules's shoes. So I never felt disappointment at what he's doing. Last season was the outlier in his career, and largely attributable to the better supporting cast and HOF QB throwing to him.

Believe it or not, there were quite a lot of posters who felt that the Broncos had somehow made the wrong choice, and that we ended up with the more productive receiver.

Of course, they failed to realize that Sanders had 100+ catches last season, and that he's clearly proven himself to be a top threat.

I thought the LaFell signing was a nice one last FA period, but he's practically fallen off the face of the earth this season with 35 catches.
Eh. Extrapolate those numbers out to a full season and it comes out to 54 catches. When you consider that at least the first 2 or 3 games are going to be rough coming off an injury with no training camp, and then you add in him having to basically act as the #1 WR for the past few games (meaning he's seeing the #1 CB more often) I don't see him as being that far off.

Eh. Extrapolate those numbers out to a full season and it comes out to 54 catches. When you consider that at least the first 2 or 3 games are going to be rough coming off an injury with no training camp, and then you add in him having to basically act as the #1 WR for the past few games (meaning he's seeing the #1 CB more often) I don't see him as being that far off.

I think you make a fine point, but that doesn't excuse his excessive number of drops or the fact that he's quit on routes.

That's because you're cherry picking the adjustments a bit. When you consider that he's been a higher priority target with Edelman missing time and Amendola being banged up, that drives him further 'off'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST