PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Battle of the Leaks: Kraft strikes back

I remember Curran answering a question years ago about his relationship with Mayo and he admitted that they were friends.
Curran had him on Quick Slants every week, course they were friends and probably still are.

Nobody knows that. These younger ex-player coaches seem to know how to inspire the modern players, something that clearly Bill was no longer able to do.

Yea. You're right. Mayo is going to come in day 1 a better coach than Bill.

Obviously you're not going to give Bill the credit for how well the defense played this year because that would flyin the face of your claim that Bill can't inspire the modern player to do their damn job.

Of course, I said that. That's where the >70M in cap space and the #3 pick come in.

I'm just telling you, since 2016, EVERY team that spent the most during FAcy won +5.3 wins that season. I think you can guess why.

The patriots in 2021 had 5.3+ wins over 2020?

Curran had him on Quick Slants every week, course they were friends and probably still are.
There is nothing nefarious about it but I would imagine it would make reporting objectively difficult for Curran. Just human nature, no one's fault and I'm not questioning anyone's motive.

Yea. You're right. Mayo is going to come in day 1 a better coach than Bill.

Obviously you're not going to give Bill the credit for how well the defense played this year because that would flyin the face of your claim that Bill can't inspire the modern player to do their damn job.
Mayo / Steve were running the D. Mayo was coordinating (meetings, game planning, assignments) and Steve was play calling. Just listen to what the players said about Mayo. Nobody said he would be a better coach than Bill. I believe he can be a good leader and a competent coach. We won't know how that translates until it happens.

But whatever man, you obviously believe that nobody in the NFL can be a better coach than bill, despite the records speaking for itself. DeMeco Ryans is a rookie HC and he's in the DIV round w/ a rookie QB while Bill is making copies of his resume a Kinko's.

The patriots in 2021 had 5.3+ wins over 2020?
They had 3 wins. The 5.3 is an average.

Lol, I'm not making this up, it's from a Mike Reiss article after the '21 FAcy, who I assume is still taken seriously around here. Maybe not.

They had 3 wins. The 5.3 is an average.

Lol, I'm not making this up, it's from a Mike Reiss article after the '21 FAcy, who I assume is still taken seriously around here. Maybe not.

I'm asking you flat out why the Patriots didn't see 5 more wins in 2021 than they did in 2020 when they lead the league in spending. What happened there?

They improved by 3.

Mayo / Steve were running the D. Mayo was coordinating (meetings, game planning, assignments) and Steve was play calling. Just listen to what the players said about Mayo. Nobody said he would be a better coach than Bill. I believe he can be a good leader and a competent coach. We won't know how that translates until it happens.

But whatever man, you obviously believe that nobody in the NFL can be a better coach than bill, despite the records speaking for itself. DeMeco Ryans is a rookie HC and he's in the DIV round w/ a rookie QB while Bill is making copies of his resume a Kinko's.

So Steve was play calling when the game is actually in play but it was Mayo during the week you believe is doing all the work?

We may need a poll to determine what nickname we should use for Jonathan. So far I have seen "Little Jerry Jones", "Big Pat Sullivan" and now "Lord Farquar". Is there consensus?
I'd like to see him honor his interoffice memo to Tom E Curran and become a non-issue. We shall see.

Not surprising at all. The fact that people started this theory the Krafts were meddling is laughable.

For the entirety of Bill's time here he was in charge. He approved everything so don't come whining about an alternate reality.

He got all the power because he kept winning. It is natural and how the world works that when you start losing questions start to get asked. When you lose too much you get moved on. Period.

I want a GM that overseas everything that is not coaching and who does not report to Mayo. Can't have one person have all the power.

What actually pisses me off is the Krafts making up their mind after the Germany game and leaked to Curran while the season was still going on. That I can't seem to get pass and makes the Krafts look messy to me. Actually disgusted by it. No way to treat this man who built the culture that sustained winning over two decades.
While I agree we should not leak stuff like this during the season I think they were laying the ground work to get people used to the idea. Compared to everyone getting blindsided by the decision if Krafts explicitly said Bill is safe.

I am more inclined to believe the Curran reporting here simply because it’s most likely to be coming right from Kraft. The other reporting likely comes from various scorned assistants serving their own interests.
Yup. Given the accuracy of Curran's reporting, the people involved in said actions he reported on (i.e. ownership decisions) and that Mayo gains nothing from leaking this stuff but criticism, it was obvious to me it came from the Krafts.

Curran is the one who said the Colts game was the point of no return and confidently stated Mayo would be the next HC. Both of which turned out true.
And not something anyone but Krafts would know. It's really obvious where the leak is and it is to control the narrative.

Yup. Given the accuracy of Curran's reporting, the people involved in said actions he reported on (i.e. ownership decisions) and that Mayo gains nothing from leaking this stuff but criticism, it was obvious to me it came from the Krafts.
I hope that you are right. Having a coach leak things in the press is much more damaging to the team on the field than the owner. I think Mayo is a legitimate leader, I still have concerns about his connection to Curran.

I generally agree, but even if so, I worry about Mayo’s ability to do his job if the Krafts are leaking so much. Hopefully this is a very short term situation.

I generally agree, but even if so, I worry about Mayo’s ability to do his job if the Krafts are leaking so much. Hopefully this is a very short term situation.
I think they did this to drive the narrative. It won't continue.

While I am not the biggest fan of Kraft he has really good decision making. Good HC hires (even Carroll turned out a HF coach), he stopped Brady from being pushed out too early, learned to stay out of day to day operations.

So Steve was play calling when the game is actually in play but it was Mayo during the week you believe is doing all the work?
Yes. Steve play calling. Mayo coordinating.

I'm asking you flat out why the Patriots didn't see 5 more wins in 2021 than they did in 2020 when they lead the league in spending. What happened there?

They improved by 3.

Because it varies. I used the average listed in Reiss' article.

2016: NYG from 6 wins to 11.
2017: Jags from 3 wins to 10
2018: Bears from 5 wins to 12
2019: NYJ from 4 wins to 7
2020: Phins from 5 wins to 10
Average: 5.4 wins per Mike Reiss article

2021: Pats from 7 wins to 10
New Average: 5 wins

2022: Jags from 3 wins to 9
New Average: 5.1 wins

2023: Broncos from 5 wins to 8
New Average: 4.9 wins

So the range is from 3 to 7 wins
5, 7, 7, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3
Avg.: 4.9
Mean: 4.6
Mode: 3
Median: 5

I hope that answered your inquiry.

Yes. Steve play calling. Mayo coordinating.

So Steve is the guy. Not Mayo. Got it.
Because it varies. I used the average listed in Reiss' article.

2016: NYG from 6 wins to 11.
2017: Jags from 3 wins to 10
2018: Bears from 5 wins to 12
2019: NYJ from 4 wins to 7
2020: Phins from 5 wins to 10
Average: 5.4 wins per Mike Reiss article

2021: Pats from 7 wins to 10
New Average: 5 wins

2022: Jags from 3 wins to 9
New Average: 5.1 wins

2023: Broncos from 5 wins to 8
New Average: 4.9 wins

So the range is from 3 to 7 wins
5, 7, 7, 3, 5, 3, 6, 3
Avg.: 4.9
Mean: 4.6
Mode: 3
Median: 5

I hope that answered your inquiry.

It did. It means this stat is useless.

So Steve is the guy. Not Mayo. Got it.
Nope, coordinating is the most important aspect of the job according to resident expert Ken.

It did. It means this stat is useless.
I'll use it to wager $50 on the Pats winning over 8 before FAcy and the draft. You game?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back