PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barkley @ 29

If the Pats are going to draft a QB to groom to replace Brady, then I'd rather have him being a huge upside guy that needs some work, so a guy like Kaepernick. I wouldn't be nearly as much of a fan of a lower ceiling, higher floor guy like Barkley.

Yeah. I certainly don't want to waste a first rounder on a player to sit the bench for perhaps his entire rookie contract. First round picks play now, not get groomed for a potential starting job down the road. That's what fourth round picks are for.

As has been said, this team is among the elite. There are holes at DB, DL, WR, possibly OT. How can it be justified to use our highest pick on somebody who won't help win a Super Bowl during this high point?

If Mallet is traded, the sensible thing to do is to sign a veteran Matt Hasselbeck/Matt Cassel/Kyle Orton/Brian Hoyer type who can come in and help win a few games if Brady gets banged up, and draft a kid late who has the skills but not the pedigree/coaching to perhaps be a future starter.

Yeah. I certainly don't want to waste a first rounder on a player to sit the bench for perhaps his entire rookie contract. First round picks play now, not get groomed for a potential starting job down the road. That's what fourth round picks are for.

As has been said, this team is among the elite. There are holes at DB, DL, WR, possibly OT. How can it be justified to use our highest pick on somebody who won't help win a Super Bowl during this high point?

If Mallet is traded, the sensible thing to do is to sign a veteran Matt Hasselbeck/Matt Cassel/Kyle Orton/Brian Hoyer type who can come in and help win a few games if Brady gets banged up, and draft a kid late who has the skills but not the pedigree/coaching to perhaps be a future starter.

Did Green Bay make a mistake drafting Aaron Rogers in the first round and sitting him on the bench?

Did Green Bay make a mistake drafting Aaron Rogers in the first round and sitting him on the bench?

Has Brady been thinking about retirement? Let alone actually telling his coaches that he was retiring?

If they had known that Favre was going to play another 6 years, they never would've done it. It's just terrible resource management.

I don't like Barkley coming out as much as I did Palmer or Leinart and throw in Sanchez and I'm really gun shy on taking a USC QB. I also hate the idea of using a pick in the first on a team that should be poised for another push for a Super Bowl.

Barkley will be a bust. Sanchez looked better in College.

If you want Brady's successor, then take Nassib. Arm, footwork, motion, head - he has the tools already.

The only way I'd do it, personally, is if I knew that the rookie would be expected to start during his rookie contract—similar to what the Patriots did with Nate Solder (they didn't expect Light to play more than another year or two, and Solder had too much upside to pass on).

Has Brady been thinking about retirement? Let alone actually telling his coaches that he was retiring?

If they had known that Favre was going to play another 6 years, they never would've done it. It's just terrible resource management.

Just to be fair, there's a difference between knowing he's going to play another 6 years, and knowing he's going to play well for another 6 years. Favre did the former, it's not at all clear that he did the latter.

I think Glennon, Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel are better prospects than Barkley this year.
I'd rather look at Tajh Boyd or Aaron Murray in next year's draft.

The only way I'd do it, personally, is if I knew that the rookie would be expected to start during his rookie contract—similar to what the Patriots did with Nate Solder (they didn't expect Light to play more than another year or two, and Solder had too much upside to pass on).

Just to be fair, there's a difference between knowing he's going to play another 6 years, and knowing he's going to play well for another 6 years. Favre did the former, it's not at all clear that he did the latter.

Well he was good-to-great his last three years with the Packers, subpar with the Jets, excellent year 1 with the Vikes, and disinterested year 2 with Minnesota. I do understand your point though. The only way this makes sense at all from the Patriots angle (assuming they grade Barkley or any other QB that highly, and if Brady isn't retiring soon) is if they don't want to pay Brady anymore and are planning on moving on. Favre told Packers brass and the press that he was retiring four times with the Packers. Huge difference.

Barkley will be a bust. Sanchez looked better in College.

If you want Brady's successor, then take Nassib. Arm, footwork, motion, head - he has the tools already.

nassib is undraftable in my eyes. I don't think he has "it" and had a terrible performance in the senior bowl, 2 picks I believe

If you think a Southern Cal player will sit on the bench for 4 years and keep his mouth shut, you're crazy. They all think they're god's gift to football. And, that's why we don't draft them.

If you think a Southern Cal player will sit on the bench for 4 years and keep his mouth shut, you're crazy. They all think they're god's gift to football. And, that's why we don't draft them.

Except, of course, for Matt Cassel. ;)

We can think what we want about Brady, but there are two facts which stand out.

1. He will be 36 years old next season.
2. He only has 2 years left on his contract and will be 38 years old as a free agent.

While right now he may not be thinking retiring, whats to stop him from changing his mind? What if he wins two more rings, feels content and decides to ride off into the sunset? What if, like most late 30's QB's he starts to decline and is no longer worth the $20mil a year he is going to demand in a new contract? What if, God forbid he gets hurt and decides to hang them up? We can think what we want, but there is a real chance Tom Brady might not be the QB for this team for another 5 years so we need to plan for that situation. I would much rather have an adequate replacement sitting on the bench for 2 years than have something happen and end up with nobody. This isn't about just drafting a QB for the sake of having a backup if we trade Mallett, its about drafting a guy you think could potentially be the face of the franchise for the next decade, and thats who I think Matt Barkley is.

I don't like Barkley coming out as much as I did Palmer or Leinart and throw in Sanchez and I'm really gun shy on taking a USC QB. I also hate the idea of using a pick in the first on a team that should be poised for another push for a Super Bowl.

I don't see how 3 guys that played under a completely different coaching staff in a completely different system have any impact on his potential in the NFL. I hate this argument because I can't find any logical link between these guys and Barkley other than the fact that they wore the same uniform. I understand not wanting to use a high pick on a QB, but the USC QB thing doesn't make any sense to me.

I think Glennon, Tyler Wilson, EJ Manuel are better prospects than Barkley this year.

May I ask why it is you have them rated higher than Barkley? What I'm looking for is some actual reasoning and analysis of why people don't like Barkley. The only guy to actually give me any sort of analysis is manxman in another thread and it seems he has at least come around to the idea a little bit. So can someone give me some actual reasoning behind why they don't like him? I am open to ideas and opinions, I would just like to hear the reasoning behind it.

Not sure if being sarcastic or just ignorant.

A USC QB?

What could possibly go wrong...

I don't see how 3 guys that played under a completely different coaching staff in a completely different system have any impact on his potential in the NFL. I hate this argument because I can't find any logical link between these guys and Barkley other than the fact that they wore the same uniform. I understand not wanting to use a high pick on a QB, but the USC QB thing doesn't make any sense to me.

The USC QB lineage comment was more of just the stigma attached to those QBs right now given the lack of success at the NFL. They're viewed as soft and I think there's some validity to it. I still stand by Palmer and Leinart being better prospects. Granted some of it is the talent around them but both won National Titles, both won Heisman Trophies. Barkley hasn't shown any of that promise. He was over-hyped and really never lived up to the billing at the college level. Maybe if he gets in the right system 4 years down the road he could develop but I think those players are drafted where Mallet was not Rogers as a general rule.

Detailed scouting report on Barkley:

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: USC QB Matt Barkley | Bleacher Report

Whilst I'm not overly keen on the value of taking him in the 1st, dependant on circumstance, of all the QB's in this draft, Barkley is the most plug and play ready QB in this draft for our offense.

So if there will only be two more Brady years and Mallett isn't the answer, then yes, I do believe it would be a worthwhile pick.

The USC QB lineage comment was more of just the stigma attached to those QBs right now given the lack of success at the NFL. They're viewed as soft and I think there's some validity to it. I still stand by Palmer and Leinart being better prospects. Granted some of it is the talent around them but both won National Titles, both won Heisman Trophies. Barkley hasn't shown any of that promise. He was over-hyped and really never lived up to the billing at the college level. Maybe if he gets in the right system 4 years down the road he could develop but I think those players are drafted where Mallet was not Rogers as a general rule.

Leinart was a "better prospect" cuz he had bush and mike williams open every play... with a good o-line. Imagine if barkley had bush they would of won another title no doubt. Barkley still put up 36 tds to 15 ints in an OFF/injured year. Call that soft? And Barkley was in contention and lead the pre-season favourite to win the heisman this year but it didn't work out due to injury, bad o-line play and losses.

And he's also BB's type of player, humble with leadership. There is no doubt in my mind he would fit the "Patriot Way"

That's nothing...I was supposed to marry Heidi Klum, but it didn't work out due to ugliness, poverty, and being an @ssh0le.

Isn't the USC quarterback a Heisman favorite EVERY pre-season?

I was addressing an argument because the poster said he did not win the heisman, so in hindsight your right it doesn't mean anything, so who cares if leinart and palmer won it? You proved my argument

Against Oregon, an 11-1 team with a respecatble defense and has SPEED. Barkleys pocket mobility and arm looked great

And Barkley was in contention and lead the pre-season favourite to win the heisman this year but it didn't work out due to injury, bad o-line play and losses.

That's nothing...I was supposed to marry Heidi Klum, but it didn't work out due to ugliness, poverty, and being an @ssh0le.

Isn't the USC quarterback a Heisman favorite every pre-season?

I was addressing an argument because the poster said he did not win the heisman, so in hindsight your right it doesn't mean anything, so who cares if leinart and palmer won it? You proved my argument

Against Oregon, an 11-1 team with a respecatble defense and has SPEED. Barkleys pocket mobility and arm looked great

To be honest, I haven't watched nearly enough of Barkley to form an opinion on him. I think taking any quarterback at #29 is silly.

To be honest, I haven't watched nearly enough of Barkley to form an opinion on him. I think taking any quarterback at #29 is silly.

Its in the scouting report link that manxman posted just above

EJ Manuel and Tajh Boyd are garbage, and are not good fits for this system. Aaron Murray has a little too much gunslinger in him for my taste. I'd rather have AJ McCarron.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back