PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Barkley @ 29

Barkley was in contention and lead the pre-season favourite to win the heisman this year but it didn't work out due to injury, bad o-line play and losses.

That's nothing...

I was supposed to marry Heidi Klum, but it didn't work out due to ugliness, poverty, and being an @ssh0le.

Isn't the USC quarterback a Heisman favorite every pre-season?

Early nominee for Post of the Year!! :rofl:

Early nominee for Post of the Year!! :rofl:

he musta been handsome rich and a gentleman the year before then, or ur rlly off the grid on that one

Hi, my name's Matt Barkley. I have a future NFL top 5 draft pick at WR (Marquise Lee) and a 2nd round WR (Robert Woods) and I'm still bleh vs. Pac-12 defenses.

Nassib is the only QB I have in the top 50. Smith, Glennon, Barkley, Wilson, Bray, etc. shouldn't be drafted in the first four rounds, they all blow.

Hi, my name's Matt Barkley. I have a future NFL top 5 draft pick at WR (Marquise Lee) and a 2nd round WR (Robert Woods) and I'm still bleh vs. Pac-12 defenses.

Nassib is the only QB I have in the top 50. Smith, Glennon, Barkley, Wilson, Bray, etc. shouldn't be drafted in the first four rounds, they all blow.

To be honest, I think EJ Manuel has the most potential of any of this year's QB's.

I would throw up in my mouth a little if they drafted him that high.

Doesn't make sense to draft a guy super high only to have him sit on the bench for 2 or 3 years. By the time he's ready, his contract is up and you're paying FA money.

nassib is undraftable in my eyes. I don't think he has "it" and had a terrible performance in the senior bowl, 2 picks I believe

The entire North offense was awful, save for Franklin.

You're better off actually going back and watching his, you know, career. Check out his last two Bowl performances too.

Name a USC QB who HASN'T SUCKED who has come out in the last 20 years. Yeah, even if we do trade Mallet, I don't think Barkley is the answer. There's a big reason why Mallet could be valued higher than the other QBs coming out in this year's draft.

At #29 I'm not sure what we do yet, but if we get a 1st rounder for Mallet, then I'd look to trade #29 for a 1st in the 2014 draft plus say a 3rd and change this year. 2014 should be a better year to look for QBs. And from recent memory the 2012 draft class will be very tough to top for QBs - I mean Luck, RG3, and Russell Wilson ALL led their teams to the playoffs as rookies.

Before you say no way, lets take a look at what we have at QB.

Brady: HOFer BUT has shown no mobility and is only getting older. Defences know if you get respectable pass rush against the pats Brady is ineffective. Brady also only has i believe 2 years left on his deal which is perfect for barkley developing. It could be like a Rodgers and Favre situation without all the BS.

The X-Factor is what happens with Mallet.

Mallet: Mallet is viewed as an NFL ready qb by many teams. I think this comes down to if he is traded for a first or not. Cleveland wants this kid so bad but are they going to give up the 6th pick? That is the x-factor. Mallets contract will be up when brady's is up and who knows what his agent will want due to him being a "hot commodity" even though he hasn't done anything yet. If we can get a first for mallet then we can fix the position we wanted @ 29 and then use 29 as a luxury pick for Barkley.

Barkley: Man this kid is so talented, he was considered a top 5 pick last year if he came out. He had shoulder issues which effected him this year but those are not long term injuries. I think he's gunna be way better then any other bum QB in this draft (Geno may be decent). Barkley could learn under brady for 2-3 years and take over the reigns.

What do you guys think?

To be honest, I think EJ Manuel has the most potential of any of this year's QB's.

Then you haven't seen a lot of EJ Manuel. His deep ball is pretty, and he can run... but that's about it. Pocket presence is eh at best and his decision making needs a good amount of improvement.

Name a USC QB who HASN'T SUCKED who has come out in the last 20 years. Yeah, even if we do trade Mallet, I don't think Barkley is the answer. There's a big reason why Mallet could be valued higher than the other QBs coming out in this years draft.

Serious question, how do the previous USC QB's have any impact on Matt. Barkley's ability to be a quality NFL QB? This is one of my most hated arguments come draft time "Gaines Adams was a bust so Da'Quan Bowers will too" or "South Carolina can't develop WR's so Alshon Jeffery will be a bust." Each player should be evaluated on an individual basis, who cares what someone in the past did at that school.

I would maybe take the lack of success of USC QB's more seriously if Barkley didn't play for a completely different coaching staff in a completely different system than all of those guys. And the fact that he started as a true freshman and didn't sit and learn behind any of these guys means there is even less of a link. So to be honest I cannot see a logical link as to why Palmer, Leinart or Sanchez would have any impact at all on Matt Barkley's potential to be an NFL QB.

If you don't like Matt Barkley I am fine with that, but like I said earlier in the thread, I would actually like to see some poeples analysis of why they don't like him and not some B.S. reasons like "he is a USC QB so he is going to bust".

Name a USC QB who HASN'T SUCKED who has come out in the last 20 years. Yeah, even if we do trade Mallet, I don't think Barkley is the answer. There's a big reason why Mallet could be valued higher than the other QBs coming out in this year's draft.

How about you name another Tennessee or Michigan that was drafted in the past twenty-five years that hasn't sucked besides Manning and Brady? Brian Griese? Todd Collins? Elvis Grbac? Jeff Francis? Heath Shuler? Besides Jim Harbaugh at Michigan in the mid 80's, neither of those schools were known for chugging out great starting NFL QBs prior to Manning and Brady being drafted. So applying your argument above, the Colts should never have drafted Peyton Manning and the Patriots should have never drafted Tom Brady.

Aside from that, is it just me, or is Matt Barkley's pre-draft evaluation turning out to be eerily similar to Drew Brees's? Both were once projected to be high/mid round 1st round picks that fell due to their measureables being questioned (height, arm strength, athleticism, etc.) despite having a statistically good senior season (although USC as a team was sub-par this year).

Personally, I think Barkley will be a potential steal for a team if he falls to the late 1st round / 2nd round, and a much better value than Geno Smith at the top of round 1. Over his four seasons (and especially his junior season), he's shown that he is extremely knowledgeable about the position, has the arm strength to make most - if not all - of the throws required by an NFL QB, and has experience playing in a pro-style offense. Yes he has some questions and things to work on, but to be fair what rookie coming out doesn't?

Serious question, how do the previous USC QB's have any impact on Matt. Barkley's ability to be a quality NFL QB? This is one of my most hated arguments come draft time "Gaines Adams was a bust so Da'Quan Bowers will too" or "South Carolina can't develop WR's so Alshon Jeffery will be a bust." Each player should be evaluated on an individual basis, who cares what someone in the past did at that school......

The USC QB argument is based off of 3 players, Palmer, Lienhert, and Sanchez. The USC QB is valid for two major reasons:

1) The 3 QBs above are all SoCal products with more training than talent. They were groomed to be QB1s at USC and faced little adversity or failure along the way. More so than QBs at other schools, USC QBs get the celebrity treatment. This is the “anti-chip-on-the-shoulder” argument and while anecdotal, I don’t think USC QBs have the necessary perseverance, toughness, dedication required to be elite in the NFL.

2) USC recruits the best WRs and RBs in the country. Mix that with excellent O-Lines and atrocious Pac12 defenses, and you get really inflated stats. You have to take everything you see with a grain of salt.

Both of these apply to Barkley. Doesn’t mean he can’t be good, just means there are inherent risks you need to consider when looking at a USC QB

The USC QB argument is based off of 3 players, Palmer, Lienhert, and Sanchez. The USC QB is valid for two major reasons:

1) The 3 QBs above are all SoCal products with more training than talent. They were groomed to be QB1s at USC and faced little adversity or failure along the way. More so than QBs at other schools, USC QBs get the celebrity treatment. This is the “anti-chip-on-the-shoulder” argument and while anecdotal, I don’t think USC QBs have the necessary perseverance, toughness, dedication required to be elite in the NFL.

2) USC recruits the best WRs and RBs in the country. Mix that with excellent O-Lines and atrocious Pac12 defenses, and you get really inflated stats. You have to take everything you see with a grain of salt.

Both of these apply to Barkley. Doesn’t mean he can’t be good, just means there are inherent risks you need to consider when looking at a USC QB

I think point two certainly has some validity. However you need to take into consideration USC's scholarship reductions and the fact that Barkley hasn't had as much talent around him (outside of WR) that some of those other guys had. The running game hasn't been very reliable and the O-line in 2012 was poor. When he had decent O-line play in 2011 he was seen as a top 10 pick.

The first point however certainly doesn't apply for one simple reason, the Pete Carroll debacle. You don't think Barkley faced adversity starting as a true freshman, becoming the face of the program so young then having to deal with all of that drama and NCAA sanctions. This is one of the things I like the most about him, he showed his strong character and leadership to help guide that program through a very tough time. Then he decided to stay for his Senior season and try to win a National Championship instead of entering the Draft and becoming a likely top 10 pick. "Perseverance, toughness and dedication" describe Matt Barkley better than any other QB and maybe any other player in this draft.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back