PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Baker Mayfield to be waived... edit: The RAMS claimed him

Reports say he'll be back 7-8 weeks, just in time for the playoffs
If they make the playoffs...

They're at the top of their division at 8-4 but the Seahawks are only one game behind at 7-5 and they play each other head-to-head in two weeks. The wild card teams are currently Dallas (9-3), NYG (7-4-1) and Seattle (7-5), with Washington in 8th at 7-5-1 so it SF is definitely at risk of getting bounced out if they drop some games.

Last edited:
Absolutely. 1971 gave hope... Pats knocked the Colts out of the playoffs on the final game of the season. 1972-3 went backwards... then the Pats added Hannah and Gray, and the 1974 team went 6-1 until injuries hit almost everywhere. I think Plunkett gets a bad rap for the early part of his career.
I forgot to mention that Plunkett won Rookie of the Year honors in 1971. But what is most amazing is the heist that Chuck Fairbanks managed to pull on the 49ers when he traded Plunkett to them in the 1976 off-season. For a quarterback with a career 23-38 record who had been benched in the middle of the previous season, the Patriots got two 1976 first round picks, one 1977 first round pick, and one 1977 second round pick. Those draftees became Pete Brock, Tim Fox, Raymond Clayborn, and Horace Ivory. When added to the Pats own 1976 first round pick, Mike Haynes, and their own 1977 first round pick, Stanley Morgan, the Patriots were ready to win the Super Bowl - which they should have except for larceny. Fairbanks drafting in this period is a reminder of how great drafting builds teams and how weak Belichick's recent drafts have been by comparison.

Actually it kinda shows the opposite.

Belichick did it for years without massive loads of 1st rounders and proved himself the master of the UDFA.

Belichick did it for years without massive loads of 1st rounders and proved himself the master of the UDFA.
Fairbanks success in the draft in the mid-seventies "shows the opposite?" Fairbanks picked top talent like Steve Nelson in the second round and Steve Grogan in the fourth round, both members of the Patriots Hall of Fame. In addition to Nelson and Grogan, Mike Haynes, Stanley Morgan, Raymond Clayborn, John Hannah, Leon Gray (claimed on waivers), and Sam Cunningham are also Patriot Hall of Fame members. Arguably, Russ Francis should be a member along with Fairbanks himself. Eight Patriot Hall of Famers out of 29 total, and two NFL Hall of Famers (should be three - Morgan deserves admission) in only six years as coach. Belichick deserves credit for his record with sixth rounders and UDFAs, but Fairbanks was impressive in picking true impact players.

I was not trying to denigrate Fairbanks in any way. He was a great coach and talent evaluator, whose time with the Pats ended way too soon.

Someone call him and tell him to save himself from taking a beating! Don't show up!

Baker landed on his feet for one night at least. Big assist from the Raiders chokiness but Baker showed some balls leading those two 4th quarter TD drives. It reinforces my relief that he didn't land in SF where any functional quarterback can be successful.

…and actually won. Repeatedly. At an unseen clip.

Are we actually pining for years of NOT winning the SB and suggesting they were superior to years of WINNING the SB ? Things are getting crazy.

I knew he wasn’t that bad after all!
3 4th Q comebacks during his rookie year (with CLE going winless the year before) while Mac only has 1 so far in his career (that ugly game versus the Texans last year). We'll see when it's all said and done, but Mac needs a serious shot of McClutcheon neat before the 4th Q or something.

3 4th Q comebacks during his rookie year (with CLE going winless the year before) while Mac only has 1 so far in his career (that ugly game versus the Texans last year). We'll see when it's all said and done, but Mac needs a serious shot of McClutcheon neat before the 4th Q or something.

I agree but Mayfield does not instill any confidence watching him. Baker got the job done but I think Zappe looks smoother.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back