PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Backup NT

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Marvin Austin?He could fall.He's very talented.Its an issue about coaching him up.

Pea on the other hand is listed at about the same height as Wilfork, but looks so much shorter on the football field. However I absolutely love the way he plays inside and if he truly is 6'1 or 6'2" then I would welcome him as a backup to Wilfork.

I like Paea a lot too, but it would take a premium pick to get him. How high would you go for a "backup to Wilfork"?

I like Paea a lot too, but it would take a premium pick to get him. How high would you go for a "backup to Wilfork"?

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Looking at the teams picking ahead of even the Raiders' slot, Denver is likely looking for a Jamaal Williams replacement (assuming the new coaching regime elects to stick with the 3-4), the Skins might still be looking for a real 3-4 NT (I really don't have any idea how Anthony Bryant did this season), Aubrayo Franklin is a free agent and maybe the only guy the Niners have for the nose.

So, that's three teams right there who might feel that 3-4 NT is enough of a critical need to take Paea early. Probably at least a couple more before you get to the #32/#33 picks, all of which might have a second shot at Paea before the #64 pick. If the rest of the draft prospects who are playing/could potentially play the nose don't clearly have more potential than Love, Brace or Weston, then why bother?

Last edited:
Pretty much what I was thinking.

Looking at the teams picking ahead of even the Raiders' slot, Denver is likely looking for a Jamaal Williams replacement (assuming the new coaching regime elects to stick with the 3-4), the Skins might still be looking for a real 3-4 NT (I really don't have any idea how Anthony Bryant did this season), Aubrayo Franklin is a free agent and maybe the only guy the Niners have for the nose.

So, that's three teams right there who might feel that 3-4 NT is enough of a critical need to take Paea early. Probably at least a couple more before you get to the #32/#33 picks, all of which might have a second shot at Paea before the #64 pick. If the rest of the draft prospects who are playing/could potentially play the nose don't clearly have more potential than Love, Brace or Weston, then why bother?

Beyond 3-4, Paea is a popular 1st-round pick for the Colts in recent mocks.

Beyond 3-4, Paea is a popular 1st-round pick for the Colts in recent mocks.

And there's that. :D

It does seem to me like they could use some quality help on their interior D-line.

This is an annual thread, in the end I don't think the roster is big enough to carry a backup NT. This may change if roster sizes increase because of the 18 game schedule.

The Patriots tend to like players like the Warren brothers, Brace, Wright, Wilfork that can play any spot on the line. To have a player on the roster who can't play special teams and would likely only be available on early downs doesn't make sense.

For 2011 much depends on the status of the fabulous Warren's, personally I rate 3-4 DE as the only area of the DL to seek improvement.

We still need one. The defensive line is aweful if Wilfork is out or not playing NT. Counting on Wilfork to play 100% of the defensive resp at NT is NOT a good idea.

Belichick has tried.
2007 4th Karren Brown
2009 2nd Brace
2010 UDFA Love

Maybe Love is the answer; maybe not.

Jarvis Green played some backup NT when needed.

Last edited:
This is an annual thread, in the end I don't think the roster is big enough to carry a backup NT. This may change if roster sizes increase because of the 18 game schedule.

The Patriots tend to like players like the Warren brothers, Brace, Wright, Wilfork that can play any spot on the line. To have a player on the roster who can't play special teams and would likely only be available on early downs doesn't make sense.

For 20011 much depends on the status of the fabulous Warren's, personally I rate 3-4 DE as the only area of the DL to seek improvement.

I agree. Plus, having two strong 3-4 DE bookends means there's a little less lost overall when Wilfork takes a breather - at least lowers the burden on Wilfork's relief man a bit.

If that were all he could be it would be a concern - I see Paea as a 3 & 4 position player depending on which front and sub-package you were in. #15 (as of this week) wouldn't be excessive.

I think it's fair to say that nobody places more value on a second High Caliber Nose Tackle than I...But a 1st Rounder??
stop%20here.gif

1) I would have no problem at all cutting Love and having G. Warren as our emergency backup NT.

2) With regard to the last cut, that depends on camp. Sadly, a defensive lineman is likely to be injured in camp opr the pre-season.

===============================================
The first step is to re-sign G Warren. The second step is to draft a defensive lineman with one of our first three picks.

We can worry about the last cut in camp.

This is where that numbers game comes into play. Pick 7:

Wilfork
TWarren
GWarren
Wright
Brace
Pryor
Love
Deaderick
Rookie DL

1) I would have no problem at all cutting Love and having G. Warren as our emergency backup NT.

2) With regard to the last cut, that depends on camp. Sadly, a defensive lineman is likely to be injured in camp opr the pre-season.

===============================================
The first step is to re-sign G Warren. The second step is to draft a defensive lineman with one of our first three picks.

We can worry about the last cut in camp.

:confused:

Cut Love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes