PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots attempted to reacquire Stephon Gilmore this offseason

How hard could the Patriots have pushed if they couldn't beat an offer of a 5th round pick? It's no big deal either way whether it's totally accurate I guess.

Trading for him would've been just another example of how dysfunctional the Pats have become.

This has been the most frustrating part of the post Brady era to me, the lack of direction in the "rebuild".

What rebuild? I see this more of a reload.

He has lost a step, but I wouldn't have hated the signing at the time.

However, I agree that I hate the thought of it in hindsight if it meant no Gonzalez.
I believe even if it did happen, gonzo would still be here. Gilly a guy who went to 2 superbowls and 1 one here DPOY, He spoke Nothing but glowing remarks about his time here. Sounds like he angled the trade to go to Dallas from his remarks.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. We are betting a lot on a rookie. Gonzalez could be amazing, but this could also be the weakest year of his career just based on how much he needs to develop.
I like to listen to the vets talk when it comes to rookies.. Jon Jones, Peppers, Philips, Bentley all have raved about gonzo. They all said he isn't like a typical rookie. Said since he got there he's been studying film, asking questions and leaning how to be a pro. Physically gonzo has everything to succeed, it's just the mental aspect of the NFL he will continue to adapt too with each game played.

Not sure how seriously I take the report if they couldn’t beat a 5th round pick offer. I wouldn’t have been against it.

Not sure how seriously I take the report if they couldn’t beat a 5th round pick offer. I wouldn’t have been against it.
I think it’s more about the potential willingness to pay a 33 year old corner $10M on a “rebuilding” team with young corners.

This has been the most frustrating part of the post Brady era to me, the lack of direction in the "rebuild". Signing these aging veterans who are progress stoppers for the young guys. I assume they looked into Gilmore before they drafted Gonzalez but even then we had Jack Jones and Marcus Jones on the roster with a cornerback spot already taken by Jon Jones. Why bring in a 33 year old corner and pay him $10 million? We just seem to keep straddling the line between rebuilding and trying to win now and it is leaving us in NFL purgatory as a team around .500 every year.

I don't understand the angst.

Pats always signed vets just in case the rookies falter.

Gonzo may be great but hes a rookie

Jack Jones is a headcase and might not be with the team

Jon Jones is 30

Myles Bryant sucks

Marcus Jones is OK

Green Goblin is fragile

Gilly knows the system.

Agreed; a well-managed roster should have a combination of vets & yutes at as many levels of the depth chart and at as many positions as possible; and it's for that reason why I still feel we're one vet Boundary CB and/or FS short of a complete defensive backfield.

This wasn't some veteran minimum guy he would have been on the roster had he been signed.
...and the 'Boys grossly overpaid which is why he isn't here.

...and the 'Boys grossly overpaid which is why he isn't here.
Even for a few million less I wouldn’t want him. He’s what Parcells used to call a “progress stopper”.

Agreed; a well-managed roster should have a combination of vets & yutes at as many levels of the depth chart and at as many positions as possible; and it's for that reason why I still feel we're one vet Boundary CB and/or FS short of a complete defensive backfield.
I don't know about that C, I'm thinking that there is going to be at least ONE tough cut from the S and CB rooms as well as the DL. Only so many slots. To have our best roster (that's the 53 + PS we are going to need a little luck or the Foxboro flu to get everyone we want

Seems to be a very low opinion of Gilmore's ability here. Here are his QB ratings against over the past five years.

2018 - 73.9
2019 - 44.1
2020 - 75.7
2021 - 78.6
2022 - 74.0

There's been virtually no dropoff since he fully recovered from his 2020 - 21 injuries. It's been vintage Gilmore, 2019 was the outlier. Belichick saw an opportunity to land a top 15 CB at way below market price. Honestly, I'm surprised he found a 5th was too steep.

The pursuit of Gilmore is entirely independent of the drafting of Gonzalez. Gonzalez was the best player available in virtually everyone's rankings. I don't envision the team expected to have him fall to them. You pounce on that value when you get the chance regardless of free agency.

He’s obviously not the Gilmore from his defensive player of the year days, but I would’ve been fine if the Pats had signed him. He would’ve been a McCourty replacement as far as leadership and experience in the Pat’s defense. Probably a 2 year player.

I seriously, Seriously doubt Gilmore would've re-signed here.
This whole thing is predictable for the new Bill.
Dump a top player when he looks to be paid.
Bring him back years later after his price drops.

Edit: I just saw the price tag for Gilmore and it isn't low.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back