PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

B-more or Indy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indy beat KC, in KC. kinda handidly too. I'm just saying, they seem legit to me. Which is the crazy part as I'm sure when Luck announced his retirement, everyone counted them out. Not only are they playing really well, they're beating the teams that are good, not the tomato cans we've played thus far.

KC was down their top two WR, two OL and Mahomes got hurt. It was superficially impressive, but needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

KC was down their top two WR, two OL and Mahomes got hurt. It was superficially impressive, but needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt.
The Colts were missing 2 starting safeties and their pro bowl LB. Not to mention injuries to 3 different Colts' receivers at the time (Parris Campbell, Devin Funchess were out, and TY Hilton was playing hurt)

I think the injuries actually even out. With that much damage to the Colts' secondary the Chiefs should have been able to get open. And Brissett was missing a lot of his big weapons too.

If Mahomes comes back in week 12 with full health, they will be very good threat even seeded #4 thru 6th.

The Colts were missing 2 starting safeties and their pro bowl LB. Not to mention injuries to 3 different Colts' receivers at the time (Parris Campbell, Devin Funchess were out, and TY Hilton was playing hurt)

I think the injuries actually even out. With that much damage to the Colts' secondary the Chiefs should have been able to get open. And Brissett was missing a lot of his big weapons too.

I know about the Colts injuries, I just disagree that they are close to evening out. KC's top WR was a nobody and their line kinda sucks to begin with. Add in a hobbled Mahomes and you're talking about a bottom 10 offense, and that is probably generous.

Teams that scare me in the AFC in order of strongest to weakest:

1. KC
2. Baltimore
3. Indy
4. Houston
5. Buffalo
Nobody scares me. If the Patriots work out their OL/WR/TE issues, they're the best and they'll continue showing it.

Nobody scares me. If the Patriots work out their OL/WR/TE issues, they're the best and they'll continue showing it.

I would rather they work out the OL problems first over the WR/TE issues

The ol issues are as worked out as they will be until Wynn returns

The TE issues in particular cause part of the OL issues. The offensive line is doing part of the blocking work that the blocking TE used to do and it's overexposing them.

They could scheme around the weakness of individual OL if they weren't also covering for other holes on the roster. We're asking too much of a battered unit right now.

That's one of the reasons that Belichick made a move a few days ago to bring in a thick body blocking TE. if we can get back to blocking with TE at a reasonable level, that's gonna make the OL's job way easier both in the pass and the run.

Since the Patriots lost to the Jets in 2010, everybody scares me.

The Chiefs haven't looked good since Mahomes tweaked his ankle - the Lions had them beat, the Texans beat them, and Indy beat them. In other words, WITH Mahomes injury, they slipped into that second tier of "good." They'll get out of that if they get healthy.

Baltimore looks like the second best AFC team right now, maybe with Buffalo. Not surprised. Harbaugh is an ass, but he's a very good HC.

It's never easy to get the #1 seed, but the Pats have to be odds-on for it this year. It's never easy to get to the Superbowl, but again, right now at least, this year looks much more doable than in the past.

The Pats need to win the games they're supposed to win pretty handily, and the run to the SB will go through Gillette.

1. Pats
2. Chiefs (if Mahomes gets healthy)
3-6 tie. Baltimore, Indy, Buffalo, Houston

Those look like the AFC playoff teams right now, but it's still very early, and even though I put KC #2, I doubt they get the bye.

I know about the Colts injuries, I just disagree that they are close to evening out. KC's top WR was a nobody

And Brissett's top WR was either a hobbled TY with a quad injury, or Zach Pascal, the living personification of "who???"

and their line kinda sucks to begin with.
Which has nothing to do with injuries.

Add in a hobbled Mahomes

Mahomes wasn't hobbled until the Colts D (Autry?) hobbled him with an ankle-tackle sack.
and you're talking about a bottom 10 offense, and that is probably generous.
I think that's excessively lenient to the Chiefs. The only issue actually caused by injuries is the lack of a top WR. The rest is systemic issues with the composition and tactics of the team.

Sure, he was missing his top targets. But Mahomes is allegedly an elite QB. If he's elite, he should be able to elevate his second tier receivers. he shouldn't NEED elite targets if he himself is elite.

The ability to make the receivers around you adequate even when they aren't is a defining distinction between the elite QBs and the best of the rest. Manning's had to do it. Rodgers has definitely had to do it. Brady has REALLY had to do it over the years. Heck, even Brissett did it, he's put the undrafted Zach Pascal on the map over the last few weeks out of almost nowhere.

Why is this so much to ask of Mahomes?

If Mahomes comes back in week 12 with full health, they will be very good threat even seeded #4 thru 6th.

I don't think you'll see Mahomes 100% healthy this season. He has a high ankle sprain as well as a dislocated knee.

All I know is, if the Patriots played that game against the Dolphins at home, that the Bills did today, all week would be 'Will the Patriots Make the Playoffs? Is it over?"

How they're on any 'scare' list is beyond me.

Still think the Chiefs are the main competition. They can beat GB & Minnesota. Their offense will get healthy bodies back.

How badly do you wish you really believed this?

#1-2 are locked out and every week we have new #3 through 6

Honestly, we need to look at ourselves. I don't know if this anemic offense will be carried throughout the year. If we start clicking there, i don't care about 2 to 6, cause we'll be 1st, with 0% doubt

What do you mean by “locked out?”

What do you mean by “locked out?”
I think he means that the Chiefs are locks at #2

needless to say, as of about a week ago, I strongly disagree. The injuries to Mahomes pushes the Chiefs back into the pack. They are now one of the good-not-great teams like Baltimore and Indy.

If Mahomes is a shaky version of himself the rest of the season, this is easily the least “scary” group of AFC opponents in the dynasty era. Even if Mahomes is a full strength, it still might be. This is a bunch of mediocre teams, none of them elite, which I define as are a near sure thing to win road games against bad-mediocre teams AND nearly a lock to win any home game. I see bunch of randomness in the standings, with no team standing out in point differential other than the Patriots.

This conference is very winnable, but the Patriots need to work out some kinks on offense and special teams or they could very well get bounced by an inferior opponent.

Being scared of other afc teams is a complete waste of energy right now.

First, we need to be focused on the Jets. They are the next game on the schedule.

secondly, we must get healthier. Yes, we will get Wynn back and then he has to prove he can stay healthy. Hopefully Harry gets healthy enough to be activated. Then he will have to prove, he can contribute.

third, next man up! Gordon is going to miss the next two games with the sprained mcl. That is just how the body works. It is up to gunner and Meyers to step up and become nfl receivers.

fourth, we have a hard count down to trade for some talent. Yes, the cap is tight, but we have to get creative. Newhouse is garbage and depth in the o line is non existent. Can we upgrade the o line via a trade? Wide receiver and tight end are thin, the fullback position is completely ir’ed. Yes, we added two tight ends recently. Are they enough? Can we add depth to the wide receiver position? Is there a free agent fullback worth signing on the scrap heap?

focus needs to go toward the controllables, not wasted on what the other guys are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back