PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

B.G.C. 2019 NFL Draft/Patriot-Type Players Thread

Has anyone looked at this prospect yet? I don’t think Gronk is retiring, so grooming this guy for a year (or hopefully as many as possible) might’ve a good idea. Evan has several interesting tweets on him.

Walker could be another Van Noy for us. He's not a full time EDGE, but he's a great linebacker who can play with his hand down on occasion. He's starting to consistently show up when I do practice mocks.

These four are my guys right now. Subject to change, of course. :p

JoeJuan Williams
Jonathan Abram
D'Andre Walker
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

CGJ is not a great tackler, did better this year. Was afraid of major contact earlier in his career. Obviously ball skills are great but don’t know he is a good fit for our defense. Anticipation is OK but he benefitted a lot from UF DL getting a lot of pressure. He’s versatile though which we love.

CGJ is not a great tackler, did better this year. Was afraid of major contact earlier in his career. Obviously ball skills are great but don’t know he is a good fit for our defense. Anticipation is OK but he benefitted a lot from UF DL getting a lot of pressure. He’s versatile though which we love.

Seems like different use this year -- almost exclusively lined up at slot -- but I've seen plenty of physicality and willingness to not only tackle, but also take on blocks with gusto. If Dawson can develop into that player, then I'd be pretty happy.

Seems like different use this year -- almost exclusively lined up at slot -- but I've seen plenty of physicality and willingness to not only tackle, but also take on blocks with gusto. If Dawson can develop into that player, then I'd be pretty happy.

Yes, I would agree he was basically a different player this year. Worlds better, but then again he was the worst tackler on the team and one of the worst in the SEC previously. He still had a couple head scratchers this year but he looked like a completely different player at times. Such a turn around. Still not consistent in his angles and while better offman so he can utilize that agility and ball hawking, he’s been inconsistent at times and not as strong in tight man coverage like Dawson.

Versatility and now a proven ability to get better with good coaching to go with the natural skills means he has a lot of upside. I am rethinking my earlier stance on not being a good fit. Why wouldn’t he be? We did just draft Dawson who was a bit more polished, maybe not quite the upside.

DBU :)

Has anyone looked at this prospect yet? I don’t think Gronk is retiring, so grooming this guy for a year (or hopefully as many as possible) might’ve a good idea. Evan has several interesting tweets on him.

I question his overall athletic ability, route running and blocking ability. But I like him as a udfa!

I almost posted something like this earlier.

I love CGJ, and think there's a decent chance he'll have a long NFL career.

I'd be shocked if that career was in Foxboro.

Seen a bunch of him watching MWC.
Not as high as Evan but depending on how the board falls I wouldn't mind him here. Late bloomer. Not a big recruit. More of a running team the past few years but one thing I always noticed was his ability to get open in the intermediate areas, seems like his basketball background kinda stood out there. Played water polo too. Nice developmental piece towards mid rounds.

Been sick as a dog this past week & works been kickin my ass as well. That said I watched Trysten Hill early in the week & really liked what I saw.
Penetrates, fires off the line. Lets say the average football play is 5.5 seconds, give or take its right around there. He's great w his initial punch, jump. Stuns his man, has a few sweet moves, looks like he has heavy hands. He puts himself in rg position but can't quite finish on a some plays. That said I consider a lot of plays near + plays. You'll see a lot of reps were he'll win at first but again cant quite finish. Explosive prospect though at 6'1/310-20. You notice it every play from beginning to end. Looks like a prototype 3T but I see a solid run defender down the line. He looks very smooth & comfortable east/west following the ball. Again brings that juice almost every play. Love to him in 2-3 years in a nice program.

Been sick as a dog this past week & works been kickin my ass as well. That said I watched Trysten Hill early in the week & really liked what I saw.
Penetrates, fires off the line. Lets say the average football play is 5.5 seconds, give or take its right around there. He's great w his initial punch, jump. Stuns his man, has a few sweet moves, looks like he has heavy hands. He puts himself in rg position but can't quite finish on a some plays. That said I consider a lot of plays near + plays. You'll see a lot of reps were he'll win at first but again cant quite finish. Explosive prospect though at 6'1/310-20. You notice it every play from beginning to end. Looks like a prototype 3T but I see a solid run defender down the line. He looks very smooth & comfortable east/west following the ball. Again brings that juice almost every play. Love to him in 2-3 years in a nice program.

Hope you get better soon BGC, am in awe of what you do on this forum!

I just stumbled onto some uab film.

They have a defensive end that is 6’8” and 260 pounds. This is a guy that could be a contributor in our defense after a red shirt year.

Late draft pick, udfa and we might have something.

LZ is always really good. Nice to see he likes Hooker.
Check out

Does anyone have an opinion on Christian Miller?

He always seemed to flash when I watched other players on that Alabama defense. I see him, depending on how his athleticism tests, useful in the Van Noy role as a LB/situational pass rusher. Plus I don't think we would have to use a high draft pick on him due to his injury history.

I hope Bacon doesn't mind me posting this in his thread.

Here are a series of position ranking videos from Football Gameplan. Emory's rankings go against the norm of those that are found on draft blogs and sites, which I love even though I don't agree with him many times. But he also gives attention and background on small school prospects who haven't been covered much, and still could find their way into many teams' training camps after the draft.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back