PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Austin Collie is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
When fans immediately assumed all white wide receivers are just slightly different variants of Wes Welker.

This is why you get insane pronouncements that the Patriots should cut Amendola and keep Edelman, as if the two's skillsets are so similar that they can't be on the field at the same time without a black hole erupting and swallowing the universe whole.

Welker, Edelman and Amendola are all comparable players and it has nothing to do with their skin color it has to do with the fact they both play best in the slot receiver position. They can play the Y-WR position however it is not optimum to their skillset. The suggesting to move on from Amendola and retain Edelman has more to do with the financial ramifications, as you’ve seen over the past few weeks unless injuries occur Amendola has only been coming onto the field in 3 wide receiver sets, he plays the X-WR and Edelman slides out to the Y-WR, some may not think that paying $5.7 million a year for our third wide receiver is a smart investment. Also you must consider would you be better off retaining Edelman for the slot and upgrading the Y-WR to a player like Emmanuel Sanders who can provide an element to that position that neither Edelman nor Amendola could.

In terms of white receivers there are several that play outside but they’re skillset and size is much different than the Welker, Edelman and Amendola.

Eric Decker
Jordy Nelson
Brian Hartline
Riley Cooper

Those guys are all very good outside but they’re also 6’1 or taller.

The suggesting to move on from Amendola and retain Edelman has more to do with the financial ramifications, as you’ve seen over the past few weeks unless injuries occur Amendola has only been coming onto the field in 3 wide receiver sets, he plays the X-WR and Edelman slides out to the Y-WR, some may not think that paying $5.7 million a year for our third wide receiver is a smart investment.

I hesitate to go back to this argument with you, but Edelman will be an unrestricted free agent next year and will probably receive a contract similar to Amendola's considering his production this season, so the contract thing isn't even a sensible argument (and $5.7m is not a particularly steep contract for a productive NFL receiver). Both are more than capable of playing together, and Amendola's playing 2/3 of the snaps each game because he's still recovering from a lingering injury.

For a comparison, Wes Welker and Aaron Hernandez were able to excel while playing together, and both were similar in that they lined up in the slot and were generally short-to-intermediate targets. Hernandez was a lot bigger than either Edelman or Amendola, but I think height tends to be slightly overrated.

I hesitate to go back to this argument with you, but Edelman will be an unrestricted free agent next year and will probably receive a contract similar to Amendola's considering his production this season, so the contract thing isn't even a sensible argument (and $5.7m is not a particularly steep contract for a productive NFL receiver). Both are more than capable of playing together, and Amendola's playing 2/3 of the snaps each game because he's still recovering from a lingering injury.

For a comparison, Wes Welker and Aaron Hernandez were able to excel while playing together, and both were similar in that they lined up in the slot and were generally short-to-intermediate targets. Hernandez was a lot bigger than either Edelman or Amendola, but I think height tends to be slightly overrated.

To be honest I actually like the idea of having Edelman and Amendola on the same team, I think them on the field at the same time creates confusion in terms of the defense not knowing who is going inside and who is going intermediate. I also think having them share the slot route responsibility will limit the physical toll.

My reservation is paying $12 million a season for the two of them being the best use of the cap.

To be honest I actually like the idea of having Edelman and Amendola on the same team, I think them on the field at the same time creates confusion in terms of the defense not knowing who is going inside and who is going intermediate. I also think having them share the slot route responsibility will limit the physical toll.

My reservation is paying $12 million a season for the two of them being the best use of the cap.

Considering how little they're paying the other receivers because of rookie contracts, around $11.4m (assuming Edelman would get the same deal as Amendola) isn't a particularly steep price to pay for your top receivers.

Collie’s size is a bit of misconception because he spent a lot of time inside with the Colts but he is actually slightly bigger than Thompkins overall:

Thompkins
Height: 6005
Weight: 193

Collie
Height: 6007
Weight: 200

Collie is significantly stronger than Thompkins during his workout putting up 17 reps at 225 lbs. compared to just 8 reps by Thompkins, also he had a better vertical with 34 for Collie and 33 ½ for Thompkins.

It wasn't a height joke. When was the last white WR trio you remember in the NFL? Never.

So our WR's playing Sunday could all be small, short white guys. Collie, amendola and Edelman. Return of the smurfs!!!! Lol

That's silly.

As my kids could tell you, Smurfs are BLUE!

A cookie for anyone who names the former Patriots coach who intentionally fielded an all 1 race/ethnic side. (offense or defense).

Clive Rush - - "The Black Power" set!!!!

[Edit: Looks like I was only about 3 hours late on that]

Last edited:
It wasn't a height joke. When was the last white WR trio you remember in the NFL? Never.

Truthfully I do not pay much attention to players when they have their helmets off so I'm not really sure. I didn't even realize Hernandez looked like a mural until he was arrested and it was so widely documented.

Fine, I would guess. Collie probably takes Gronk for the post-adolescent bozo he is.

Oddly enough, when interviewed about football, Gronk is all business, sounds very mature.

I wonder how Gronk, a hard-partying hedonist, and a devout Mormon like Collie, get along.

From seeing Collie's attire during his locker room interviews, I guess I have a different image of Collie than you do.

You get a cookie. Seems to me Sullivan had so many bank and court problems he didn't pay as much attention to what seemed a can't miss coaching selection.

Anyway, Rush actually deployed what he called the black power defense thinking it would intimidate the opposition. This was in the news back then.

Problem was, he didn't have 11 black players on the defense, so he actually put some offensive players there.

Clive definitely was crazy, for lack of a better term. He ended up going for treatment. I don't even think all the bizarre stories about him were collected, simply because the team was bad and people had lost interest.

I've followed the Pats forever and this was the 1st time I'd ever heard of this. Thanks!

I had a feeling he'd back, and he even said so when he was released.

It's good to have guys like Collie on the shadow roster.

Oddly enough, when interviewed about football, Gronk is all business, sounds very mature.

Also read a financial interview where Gronk discussed how his Dad taught him how to manage his money, the plaything pool and the investment pool for post football and how to manage each. Financially conservative and level headed.

It's the bimbos that make him crazy. :p

I like Collie, hope he stays until the SB

Welcome back, Collie

Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola and Austin Collie ironically worked out together in LA during the lockout. All precise route runners, welcomed edition.

Well that sucks we’re going to have to forfeit on Sunday because we don’t have enough players tall enough to play… :eek:

Don't worry, We still have the O-line, Brady and Gronk. ;)

Someone else mentioned earlier and I echo it... I thought he was done for the year with a knee? not sure I got that from?but it doesn't seem to be true so welcome back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft