PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

At this moment, would you take a 3rd for CJack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad Jackson may not be garbage but he showed nothing excepting mis-reading the blitz rout and causing an INT. The competition is stiff for 4th WR. For whatever reasons BB didn't use him as a PR in this game. Given rival CJ Jones' utter self destruction on STs and as a WR, Chad will be the tryout PR next game.

Last edited:
Please don't get me and my thread wrong - I'm not a CJack hater. I would love nothing better than to see him tearing up the field with the ball tucked under his arm after nailing another 25yd recept.

But the sad fact is that he was worth more as trade before this game - and that was the focus of my question. Dump him now and risk loosing a monster on the league or do it now before (the game) and it's too late. No way we'd get more than a change-of-scenery 4th for him tonight and that would only come from a very needy team like Oakland.

Ironically, CJack's diminished trade value probably gives him a better chance of making the team since management will resist completely wasting a 2nd (and the pick they used to trade up) by cutting the dude. No one else is pushing him off the roster despite CJack's lousy play.

BTW, I thought Ventrone looked like Wes Welker Lite out there tonight. He even has down the drop your butt and shimmy technique Welker uses every play.

Please don't get me and my thread wrong - I'm not a CJack hater. I would love nothing better than to see him tearing up the field with the ball tucked under his arm after nailing another 25yd recept.

But the sad fact is that he was worth more as trade before this game - and that was the focus of my question. Dump him now and risk loosing a monster on the league or do it now before (the game) and it's too late. No way we'd get more than a change-of-scenery 4th for him tonight and that would only come from a very needy team like Oakland.

Ironically, CJack's diminished trade value probably gives him a better chance of making the team since management will resist completely wasting a 2nd (and the pick they used to trade up) by cutting the dude. No one else is pushing him off the roster despite CJack's lousy play.

Pats management thankfully does NOT think that way. BB always moves to improve the team. If he decides that Chad isn't valuable, Chad goes.

Your comment that nobody is pushing him off the team is correct relative to rival CJ Jones. Threats include Washington, Slater and Ventrone, all of whom are multifaceted.

Chad Jackson may not be garbage but he showed nothing excepting mis-reading the blitz rout and causing an INT. The competition is stiff for 4th WR. For whatever reasons BB didn't use him as a PR in this game. Given rival CJ Jones' utter self destruction on STs and as a WR, Chad will be the tryout PR next game.

So Cassel throwing the ball without planting as he is about to be hit behind a guy who was double covered had nothing to do with the INT. It was a poor decision by Cassel even if Jackson mis-read the route.

I don't know if the competition is all that stiff for the #4 WR. Neither Washington nor Aikens have shown much as receivers and their value primarily has been on special teams. Aikens has had 5 receptions in the last two years and zero TDs for his career. Washington had 19 reception in his last two years in Cincy and none last year. The #4 WR needs to produce on offense too and I don't know if there is much competition in that area at this point. Jackson is behind in the special teams area though.

Pats management thankfully does NOT think that way. BB always moves to improve the team. If he decides that Chad isn't valuable, Chad goes.

Your comment that nobody is pushing him off the team is correct relative to rival CJ Jones. Threats include Washington, Slater and Ventrone, all of whom are multifaceted.

Washington, Slater, and Ventrone are special teamers, but none of them have shown much on offense. Washington had a couple of so-so years with the Bengals, but that was 4 years ago.

Slater wasn't all that impressive on returns tonight. I think if he doesn't do better in the next few weeks, he is practice squad bound.

Washington, Slater, and Ventrone are special teamers, but none of them have shown much on offense. Washington had a couple of so-so years with the Bengals, but that was 4 years ago.

Slater wasn't all that impressive on returns tonight. I think if he doesn't do better in the next few weeks, he is practice squad bound.

Yeah ... that's how CJ stays on the team. AT best Slater and Ventrone are backup slot guys and Washington is at best a 5th receiver who is not a slot receiver. When CJ's contract is over though ... he'll be gone ... right now he's cheaper to keep than replace.

No one would trade a 3rd for him so the question really isn't relevant.

I've never understood his popularity on this board. I've never seen a guy do so little yet have so many fans.

That said, how do you evaluate any WR on this offense based on tonight when there wasn't an NFL caliber QB under center?

Jackson sucks plain and simple. He looked lost out there and when he did looked like he was hearing footsteps out there. Forget him. Gaffney's a second rounder too. Consider it a swap. Pick up a decent 2nd rounder from free agency and dump one on the market. This experiment should be over now. He's not a rookie, he's a 3rd year starter and looked like he didn't know the play book. Brady will never trust this kid so it's just wasted space on the field.

So Cassel throwing the ball without planting as he is about to be hit behind a guy who was double covered had nothing to do with the INT. It was a poor decision by Cassel even if Jackson mis-read the route.

I don't know if the competition is all that stiff for the #4 WR. Neither Washington nor Aikens have shown much as receivers and their value primarily has been on special teams. Aikens has had 5 receptions in the last two years and zero TDs for his career. Washington had 19 reception in his last two years in Cincy and none last year. The #4 WR needs to produce on offense too and I don't know if there is much competition in that area at this point. Jackson is behind in the special teams area though.

Clearly, in that blitz condition Jackson needs to read blitz and cut off the route. He did not. Result INT. Arguing the opposite shows that you've let fanboy fascination over ride football judgement. No apologies for Cassel's awful outing implied.

STs will determine who the #4 WR is. Before last night CJ Jones was competition as a PR. I think we can safely say the CJ Jones is not a serious threat to beat out Chad Jackson. Washington & Aikens are such ST threats.

Absolutely.

No one would trade a 3rd for him so the question really isn't relevant.

I've never understood his popularity on this board. I've never seen a guy do so little yet have so many fans.

That said, how do you evaluate any WR on this offense based on tonight when there wasn't an NFL caliber QB under center?

Not now, that's for sure (that was the point of my thread beginning before even the first expo game - I felt like the odds were 50/50 at best, and in reality more like 30/70 that Cjack would be worth less as trade bait after he played in any game). His stink out last night was almost unfathomable - how could BB have been so wrong about this dude?

He just doesn't get "it." Not the Patriots "it" anyway. He needs to go to a team that will say, "Chad, stand here, and when you see the ball snapped run as fast as you can toward the goalpost. After 15 steps look over your left shoulder for the ball." And that place is Oakland. I still bet we could squeeze them for a fourth (hey that's all the Pack got for Farve - yes, i know it's conditional) at this very moment - the Raiders are desperate for speed on the outside. Surely BB could get in Al's head - "Well, Al, if he plays better the next few game we're going to keep him, so now's your chance..."

Let's focus on the other wr's like Aiken, Slater, Or CJ Jones.

Does Slater not have good hands?

Slater does not make even the P.S. Chad brings at the most, a fifth. C.J. and Cassel are done but they might get one more week.
I hope Vinnie is still on speed dial or is someone smart enough to seek out Chad P. How about a Safety? We have to count on JAG James Sanders?
Who the hell is #64 and did he have money on the Ravens?
I liked the LB play and Jordan.
It seemed like the Ghost was very comfortable this year.
DW Toys

I think he's a bust but give him 1 more year and see what he can do healthy.

Enough with the excuses. We know Brady can make average WRs look great, so I think if any of the other WRs in camp show anything close to equal talent they will be given Chad's job. I think he SHOULD be worth a 2nd right now simply because of this coming season(already signed cheaply), and he isnt replacable unless someone blows him away in camp....and looking at last nites game I would say Jones is gone, Slater wont make the team either. I would HATE to see him win the job by default(the only reason to try Washington I would guess), but stranger things have happened.

Slater does not make even the P.S. Chad brings at the most, a fifth. C.J. and Cassel are done but they might get one more week.
I hope Vinnie is still on speed dial or is someone smart enough to seek out Chad P. How about a Safety? We have to count on JAG James Sanders?
Who the hell is #64 and did he have money on the Ravens?
I liked the LB play and Jordan.
It seemed like the Ghost was very comfortable this year.
DW Toys

Wow....talk about an absurd post.

Henceforth,you shall be known as:
"Toys in the Attic"

i do not think i would trade a 3rd for him but i am skeptical he can stay healthy and get the job done

We should just cut him right now. It'll save us the pain of watching him play again.

His performance was PITIFUL and, frankly, running the wrong route on the interception is only the tip of the iceberg. He can't create separation, he can't catch (which amazes me because the guy was lights out in the senior bowl catching drills),and he can't read defenses. He is just plain terrible. His injury is irrelevant. Wide Receivers get a 2 year window to figure things out because they need to study the game and study what they are supposed to do in different coverages. He was still studying this stuff last year even though he couldn't play and Thursday he proved that he has learned nothing.

I would trade him for just about any pick at this stage.

i believe in cj!!:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand