PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

At this moment, would you take a 3rd for CJack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
OK, OK, I know no games have been played yet but that might be a good thing for CJack's trade value if you know what I mean. Unless Jackson shines in preseason he's probably gone anyway, so...

If Oakland called and said they'd give their third next year for Cjack and our 5th rounder, would you do it? The Raiders are desperate for a speedy WR and have the nut job owner needed to make such an offer. What if Jackson has a really good game tonight and Oakland calls, would you make the trade thinking Cjack's performance is as likely ot be a flash in the pan as the beginning of his real career?

Aiken, from reports, sounds decent enough and we all know Gaffney is the real number 3 unless CJack plays like Greg Jennings. Washington makes the team as a ST'er either way and could be called on for spot WR duty. Even Slater (actually I am predicting that Slater will line up as WR 20-30 plays this year) could be used a field stretcher here and there.

Would you trade CJack now (for a 3rd) before we find out he really is a dud or has finally turned the corner? Play GM, which chance do you take?

OK, OK, I know no games have been played yet but that might be a good thing for CJack's trade value if you know what I mean. Unless Jackson shines in preseason he's probably gone anyway, so...

If Oakland called and said they'd give their third next year for Cjack and our 5th rounder, would you do it? The Raiders are desperate for a speedy WR and have the nut job owner needed to make such an offer. What if Jackson has a really good game tonight and Oakland calls, would you make the trade thinking Cjack's performance is as likely ot be a flash in the pan as the beginning of his real career?

Aiken, from reports, sounds decent enough and we all know Gaffney is the real number 3 unless CJack plays like Greg Jennings. Washington makes the team as a ST'er either way and could be called on for spot WR duty. Even Slater (actually I am predicting that Slater will line up as WR 20-30 plays this year) could be used a field stretcher here and there.

Would you trade CJack now (for a 3rd) before we find out he really is a dud or has finally turned the corner? Play GM, which chance do you take?

No...............

Obviously I'd like to see tonite's game but if presented with the opportunity for a high 3rd I'd take it. Why? Because down at 4th WR which is what he's battling for, and there is no distinguished candidate. Washington, Chad, CJ Jones and Sam Aiken are all on a par right now so why not take a pick since losing him means nothing?

Last edited:
No...............

Depends who the team is and if it is a high third or not. I wouldn't trade him now. I'd give him one more season.

If anything I think he could be a kick returner like Koren Robinson. CJ being not that good at this point.

I'd give CJ the opportunity. Now is his time to do it or not.

No way. How many 3rd round players have a shot at making this roster? CJack does, and has high hopes as well.

I haven't looked it up but I'd guess that 80%+ of BB's 3rd's have made the team.

This is a great question!
My initial reaction would be, "yes'. But, it would be awfully difficult to watch him bloom in another uniform. He's got the tools, there's no debating that! This is year 3 for him as a Pat. You can only dine on potential for so long.
Got to give the man another year. If he gets hurt or does not really produce this year, then you cut him or try to trade him. Roster spots on a talent laden team are at a premium.
If CJack does not step up PDQ, he could be gone sooner than we think. If other "lesser known receivers" are getting the job done, and BB is comfortable with them, he will cut him if he thinks that he has better receivers to start ahead of CJack. If Milloy can get gassed on the eve of the season, very few are safe.

Right now, no. If he shows little progress after this year, yes.

NO...not now....

No. He provides 3 things to the current WR corps that nobody else on the roster can provide.

1) Youth
2) Upside
3) Depth

Youth in that he is 23 years old, and besides Welker the other two top receivers are over 30. Besides, Welker plays a unique roll anyway in the slot. Jackson is competing for PT on the outside where the incumbents are over 30.

Upside in the sense that he is still undeveloped, both in terms of age and playing time.

Depth, which is a part of upside, in the sense that his best is much better than Washington or Aiken, which is who you would be replacing him with.

Further, if you trade him now you are selling low. If the Pats traded him today it would be, to me, a sign that they think he lost something with the surgery. And there is no evidence of that at all. Trading him makes no sense unless you are getting a pick which is higher than the Pats took him. Which has a zero percent chance of happening.

It's easy to say "not now," but if Cjack continues to not impress he'll fetch nothing more than 6 or a 7 later this year or next. that's the problem...

Obviously I'd like to see tonite's game but if presented with the opportunity for a high 3rd I'd take it. Why? Because down at 4th WR which is what he's battling for, and there is no distinguished candidate. Washington, Chad, CJ Jones and Sam Aiken are all on a par right now so why not take a pick since losing him means nothing?

Granted I was at camp for only one day - but he - in Moss' absence at least - lined up with the 1s, received a fair amount of attention. Aiken, CJ Jones & Kelley Washington all were with the 2s and were less active [heck, Washington split with the receivers to do special teams drills for a portion of practice], save for Aiken who did impress in his opportunities.

Based on this practice alone - and again, the absence of Moss may have skewed things - I'd say Jackson is separate from the pack (Aiken, CJ Jones, K Wash).

Last edited:
No way would I trade him, lets see how he does this year. He has a great opportunity to be a productive player for us this year at either #3 or #4 WR and some PR/KR duties.

I probably would, he's only signed for this year and next. I'd take the shot at a new player with twice as long on his rookie contract.

Trade a 23yr old wr,whose been injured and hasn't had time to develop for a 3rd rd draft choice?........ummmmm.....NO!

He's behind a HOF receiver,plus the best slot receiver in the game on the best team of the decade.......ummmmm.......NO!

23 years old,people...G-d,I friggin hate Fantasy Football.

He had a major knee operation. And he was behind some pretty good competition.

Why would you want to trade a potential great player to roll the dice on a third? Granted, a third rounder could be great, but it's not likely. Why not let him play?

Is he small? No, he's massive and strong. Is he slow? No he's fast as hell.

Why give away a player that's now healthy and more mature for maybe nothing?

Last edited:
He's actually not behind Moss but looking to grab playing time opposite him.
He's not behind Welker either. I want this kid to do well. Again, he has all the tools. But, this IS a critical year for him. What do you do if he has another year like his last two?

Granted I was at camp for only one day - but he - in Moss' absence at least - lined up with the 1s, received a fair amount of attention. Aiken, CJ Jones & Kelley Washington all were with the 2s and were less active [heck, Washington split with the receivers to do special teams drills for a portion of practice], save for Aiken who did impress in his opportunities.

Based on this practice alone - and again, the absence of Moss may have skewed things - I'd say Jackson is separate from the pack (Aiken, CJ Jones, K Wash).

I was there twice and saw no special attention rather the reverse. The DookFish was there twice and concurred although he was critical of his play. I wasn't. The others are also doing notably well on STs.

As a GM I'd take a 2009 high 3rd from Oakland for a guy indistinguishable from his 3 peers as a WR. In other words, they've all performed at the same level, so why not take a pick since you've got to cut at least 2 of the peas in a pod? Only emotions or "hope" could override reason.

Last edited:

No one is going to give upa third rounder for Jackson. But, lets dream a little here.....ABSOLUTELY! SEE-YAH CHAD!

note i said that the Raiders have the nutjob owner needed to make such an offer.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes