PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Assuming We Get Jax, What is Our Strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire watson for his work ethics/smarts but seriously, how often does watson drop drive killers?

Considering he had 4 drops all year. I don't know. Why don't you go find out. Then compare it to the number of driving killing drops that Wes had and that Faulk had. Then lets see how he fares.

On offense the Pats need to line up with the 3 WR set and try to get Sammy Knight lined up one on one with one of our WRs, instant mismatch.
Nelson and one of the corners will take Moss. The other Jags ocrner gets Stallworth/Gaffney one on one and Welker in the slot is covered by Knight.
If the weather cooperates and the OL can keep Brady upright, should have 35 points by half time and Welker could have 10 catches by half time as well.

Caution: Brady must keep his head and not try to force anything to Moss. Just take what the defense gives you and move on to the next play.

Last edited:
We have had a lot of issues against a hybrid running game, such as Joseph Addai and Brian Westbrook. I see a lot of eight men in the box, a lot of odd blitz packages, and a lot of abnormal zone coverages. They will try their best to bring heat from three and four different areas while not freeing up the middle too much for big running lanes. A lot of "bend don't break" style defense should be played and force their quarterback into making big plays.

On offense, I see a lot of shotgun formations. I would not be surprised to see two, even three tight ends to help protect Brady and get the ball out to his receivers. I don't see the Jaguars being able to stop Moss or Welker, so it will be very important to protect Brady. We might even see some wham blocking like we did against the Colts last year in the playoffs. If they can do that, the Patriots will be able to exploit the Jags secondary. If that gets going, expect a lot of draw plays once the Patriots get the lead, as well as a lot of screens to exploit any big blitzes the Jaguars might bring.

I could see the Patriots putting up around 35 points against the Jaguars, but I don't see the them giving up less then 24. Should be a good game if the Jaguars come into town, but in all honesty I hope the Titans win today.

Can you explain to us Southerners how you "break" a hammy?

it doesn't work.... it's strained.... of course there are differing degrees. but he can't push off on it. people can play semantics but i don't see henderson being effective. he'll shut it down in the 2nd half because he won't be effective.

I think b/c they were using him to chip on the line against the NYG that dictated his routes. Probably don't need him to do that against the Jags, their pass-rush isn't near NYG's.

watson hasn't broken many tackles on on screens and dump off routes and many drives have been stalled. i agree with ray clay watson should find the first down marker and sit down in the zone or he should do a go route down the seam

Good win on the road for Jax, but ...

Steelers were missing their #1 offensive player; Pitt made some head-scratching decisions (2-pt conversions) and playcalls (fades); and #23 cannot tackle for you-know-what.

If the Pats win by 20, Jax will have done better than expected.

.... Frankly, I didn't even think that Jax had much to do with Roeth's struggles. He just couldn't make a decision. I remember one play where he actually rolled into the only guy defender who was anywhere near the play after pumping a couple times. And he did all of this despite the fact that every single receiver was open on the play. I kid you not; every single guy was open. I'm still trying to figure out what Ben was looking at.

The replay on that was amazing.
Alas, i recall that the announcers didn't bother to scold Ben for that.
WHAT did he need to see?

Caution: Brady must keep his head and not try to force anything to Moss. Just take what the defense gives you and move on to the next play.

Now that the records are booked
and the playoff foes have most of their game film on us,
i think we've seen the last of "forcing it to Moss".

This is, after all, the QB whose favorite receiver famously has always been
"the guy who is open."

Randy downfield
sure does open up a lot of space for the other catchers.

watson hasn't broken many tackles on on screens and dump off routes and many drives have been stalled. i agree with ray clay watson should find the first down marker and sit down in the zone or he should do a go route down the seam

I never said he dropped the ball, as he improved tremendously in that area early, before he got hurt...again!

I just don't see speed and strength on the field and he's not the best blocker.

He's an average tight end, that's what he is on the field.

Gaffney will get more YAC than he will.

Now that the records are booked
and the playoff foes have most of their game film on us,
i think we've seen the last of "forcing it to Moss".

This is, after all, the QB whose favorite receiver famously has always been
"the guy who is open."

Randy downfield
sure does open up a lot of space for the other catchers.

Let's just use Moss as a decoy.:rolleyes:

Here's a clue, when your strategy causes the defense to sigh with relief, you're screwing up.

Let's just use Moss as a decoy.:rolleyes:

Here's a clue, when your strategy causes the defense to sigh with relief, you're screwing up.

Ray, would you allow that there is a lot of middle ground
between Forcing It To Moss
and Using Moss As A Decoy?

We have had a lot of issues against a hybrid running game, such as Joseph Addai and Brian Westbrook.

I see the Jags using more Jones-Drew and less Fred Taylor than they usually do.

Your "sigh with relief" comment is a great way to put a theory I've always had. When an opponent punts on 4th and 1 (or if it's the Colts, 4th and 2) I always breathe a sigh of relief. Moral: teams punt too much.

Your "sigh with relief" comment is a great way to put a theory I've always had. When an opponent punts on 4th and 1 (or if it's the Colts, 4th and 2) I always breathe a sigh of relief. Moral: teams punt too much.

in general, yeah, teams punt way too much. but the Jags aren't one of them - they went on 4th, I believe, a higher % of the time than any other team this year

"Its fuggin simple."

60lrg.jpg

~Jack Black

Last edited:
Your offense is much more scary than your old defense. Our O-line, Mojo and Fred are going to have a field day running on you. I am actually looking forward to what Bellicheck has up his sleeve to stop the run.

We will have a huge problem stopping Brady, and I agree that a 2 TD deficit may be too much to overcome. I pray Del Rio does not abandon the run like he did last night.

It is going to be a better game than most of you Pats fans think it is going to be.

Do you know what the weather is going to be like? Hopefully 20 degrees with a blizzard :)

Early forecast is for a high of 40 and clear skies. Also, 3 mph winds on game night. Bad news for you guys!

On offense I'm throwing it, a lot! I'd mix in Maroney, especially on check downs, or screens. I think NE could effectively use Faulk on passes in this game, and Welker should be all over the place. Watson could be the Z factor :). NE should also be able to run the ball on the edges against them. The Steelers would have been more effective at this if Parker was playing.

Thought: Going full drives with nothing but hurry up offense could be effective.

On defense I'm focusing mainly on stopping the Jags rushing attack. I'd bring Rodney into the box, and force David to beat us with his arm. I'd like to put some pressure on him as well, but not at the expense of contain. The Patriots will likely mix in some 4-3 and nickle defenses, and I'd expect to see Rodney playing more like a LB during certain Nickle defenses.

Special teams will also be key, as the Patriots have some good returners, and it would be nice to win the game of field position.

Really, what I've found somewhat funny is the media's paying constant attention to the Jags rushing attack, and asking if NE will be able to stop it. Yes, that's a "key to the game", but there's a number of questions the Jags will have to answer as well. for example:

Can they get any consistant pressure on Brady, and stop NE's passing attack? Remember, their strength on defense is stopping the run, and good passing offenses have been able to move the ball on them. The last few times they've played NE they weren't able to effectively pressure Brady, and this version of NE's passing attack is far better than the version that beat them last year.

What's the over/under on screens to faulk and welker next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back