PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante wants Nate Clements $$$$$

The greedy mother f@cker... He ain't even worth that... I think the Pats are right on on his worth.... Take it or leave it Asante, you greedy piece of sh@t. You ain't the best corner in the league so why in the crap are we going to pay you that of the best corner in the league... Get real.

As a FA he has been told by at least a few teams that they would pay him "Clement money". Actually he is asking for more than Clement but thats just a way to shoot himself out of town. Now that he knows what he can get he is going crazy because the money is there for him but he can't get it. He is now incensed. In my opinion the FO is using the same philosophy when they traded Tebucky Jones a few years back. IMO they never planned on paying him 7.9 mil. The tag was orchestrated to create value for Samuel. Now if some team wants to pay him that type of money fine, but by paying him elite money their either going to give up a 1st and 3rd or 2 second round picks. I believe the Pats will trade him. His antics and things he has said even after the Branch departure, the Jackie MCM story on the day of the first playoff game. This guy will be a cancer and they don't need another Branch situation. Trade him get the picks draft another cb,s and lb and lets move on. Its a win win for the Pats they get more draft picks, save 8 mil on the cap and hopefully start working on Ty Warren.

Football is business. If you wish, you can continue to call players, agents and teams names when various statements are released to the press. I'm sure that lots of players want $10M a year. I that delusional. Many posters want to win the lottery. We will see how delusional Samuel is when we see his contract and line it up next to that of others.

Lots of players would like to have some choice is who they play for. Almost all players do after their rookie contracts. How many are NOT allowed that right this year, 20? Many players have places they would choose NOT to play, if they could. Believe it or not, some players would choose NOT to play in Boston, or would greatly prefer to play elsewhere. Posters here often think that everyone should want to play in Boston, even for less money, ignoring the environment of Boston for players, and ignoring that some players would prefer to live nearer their friends and family.

Yes, I will support any player who works hard and plays his heart out, and plays out the years of his contract. Samuel has been a fine player for the patriots. Personally, I respect him for that. I also respect his wishes to want to play for another team, unless the patriots give him a deal he can't refuse.

keep defending the greedy delusional player.

I think most of you are missing the point that Samuel IS one of the top 5 CBs in the league, and had the best year any CB had, especially if you add in his work during the playoffs. As much as I would like to get on the "he's only done it one year" bandwagon, I can't. Last year was IMHO a product of a continuing progression over the first 3 years of his career, with each year being better than the last. Samuel has ALWAYS been "around the ball". In fact his biggest weakness up to last season was the fact he DROPPED so many potential picks. I also think that there is no way we can replace him for the current season with anyone who would be nearly as good.

That being said, 30MM for 3 years is probably off the charts. However 7-9MM/yr is not THAT crazy. This kid is going into the prime of his career. He is tough, intuitive, and most important, durable. Sure we could draft his replacement, but we aren't going to see a better CB in 2007, even if we draft what turns out to be the best CB in the upcoming draft. I don't think there IS a CB in this draft that can come in and be an immediate stopper.

So IMHO here are the Pats options from best to worst.

1. Trade him to another team IF the pick is high enough to get us Landry. He is the ONLY guy I would want in return for Samuel, any one else would be just depth, even Willis. For that to possibly happen the Pats would have to get up into the top 8.

2. Keep him under the franchise tag and hopefully work out a deal over time, or if not just keep on franchising him a la Walter Jones

3. Promise not to franchise third year and work out a 2 year 18MM deal with 9MM guaranteed, which would amount to about the same thing as franchising him for 2 years. Then at only 28 with 2 more years of bona fides under his belt he could enter the FA market again, for ANOTHER big pay day.

4. Rent him for a year. Promise not to franchise him again. He plays next year and goes.

5.Trade him for anything you can get, probably a low first rounder and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year. Draft a young CB high and hope you can get by with a make shift group that you hope would be would be greater than the sum of its parts. - Please note that next year's defense wouldn't have to be as good as last year's, assuming the offense will be better with more weapons on the outside. Also adding Thomas to the front 7 should improve that area as well. I suspect we will see improvement from both Hobbs and Sanders Finally if the defense can stay healthy for a change, everything might go well even without Samuel. In 2004 we played most of the year with Samuel and Gay as our CBs

BTW- I had to notice that NO ONE asked the questions I thought were obvious. Is the 30MM for 3 years a potential offer that Samuel got from another team? Or was it just a number thrown out there by his agent? Or was it perhaps a number thrown out bythe Pats FO as PR damage control?

I think most of you are missing the point that Samuel IS one of the top 5 CBs in the league, and had the best year any CB had, especially if you add in his work during the playoffs. As much as I would like to get on the "he's only done it one year" bandwagon, I can't. Last year was IMHO a product of a continuing progression over the first 3 years of his career, with each year being better than the last. Samuel has ALWAYS been "around the ball". In fact his biggest weakness up to last season was the fact he DROPPED so many potential picks. I also think that there is no way we can replace him for the current season with anyone who would be nearly as good.

That being said, 30MM for 3 years is probably off the charts. However 7-9MM/yr is not THAT crazy. This kid is going into the prime of his career. He is tough, intuitive, and most important, durable. Sure we could draft his replacement, but we aren't going to see a better CB in 2007, even if we draft what turns out to be the best CB in the upcoming draft. I don't think there IS a CB in this draft that can come in and be an immediate stopper.

So IMHO here are the Pats options from best to worst.

1. Trade him to another team IF the pick is high enough to get us Landry. He is the ONLY guy I would want in return for Samuel, any one else would be just depth, even Willis. For that to possibly happen the Pats would have to get up into the top 8.

2. Keep him under the franchise tag and hopefully work out a deal over time, or if not just keep on franchising him a la Walter Jones

3. Promise not to franchise third year and work out a 2 year 18MM deal with 9MM guaranteed, which would amount to about the same thing as franchising him for 2 years. Then at only 28 with 2 more years of bona fides under his belt he could enter the FA market again, for ANOTHER big pay day.

4. Rent him for a year. Promise not to franchise him again. He plays next year and goes.

5.Trade him for anything you can get, probably a low first rounder and maybe a 2nd or 3rd next year. Draft a young CB high and hope you can get by with a make shift group that you hope would be would be greater than the sum of its parts. - Please note that next year's defense wouldn't have to be as good as last year's, assuming the offense will be better with more weapons on the outside. Also adding Thomas to the front 7 should improve that area as well. I suspect we will see improvement from both Hobbs and Sanders Finally if the defense can stay healthy for a change, everything might go well even without Samuel. In 2004 we played most of the year with Samuel and Gay as our CBs

BTW- I had to notice that NO ONE asked the questions I thought were obvious. Is the 30MM for 3 years a potential offer that Samuel got from another team? Or was it just a number thrown out there by his agent? Or was it perhaps a number thrown out bythe Pats FO as PR damage control?

Samuel is not worth that kind of money. He has become a greedy bastard. Frankly I dont think he has a place on this team anymore. He is to much of a me, me, me type guy. I hope to god we can get some nice picks for him. I then hope he goes on to his next team and gets clements type money for 5 picks a year.

Last edited:
Unless we plan on switching to a cover-2, eh.

Why do we need to switch to a cover 2? Barber is very good as a CB in general.

Not that many, I'd think.

Samuel got burned quite a bit. Its why teams continued to go to his side. Its not like we had an All-Pro opposite him the way that Ty Poole did with Ty Law.

With all of the information coming out, it is putting the Patriots in a bad bargining position.

Getting anyone's first rounder may be tricky. Unless it is an idiot like Dan Snyder.
Not really. If the Pats don't get what they want then they keep him for one more year and dump his butt next year. If teams want him now, they'll have to pay with a draft pick(s).

LMFAO!!! What a joke. One great season and Assante wants to be payed Richard Seymour money.

Not really. If the Pats don't get what they want then they keep him for one more year and dump his butt next year. If teams want him now, they'll have to pay with a draft pick(s).
Yeah, the Patriots are fine. Samuel has three choices :

- Find a team willing to pay what he wants in money and trade.
- Play the season.
- Give up half a million dollars for every game he sits out.

The first two are fine for us. The third is unrealistic for Samuel.

Why do we need to switch to a cover 2? Barber is very good as a CB in general.

How can you say he's very good in general (I'm not necessarily saying he isn't) when he's been at Tampa his entire career? He's also 32 years old; it just doesn't make much sense to me to bring in an old CB who's spent 11 years playing in a different system.

Samuel got burned quite a bit. Its why teams continued to go to his side. Its not like we had an All-Pro opposite him the way that Ty Poole did with Ty Law.

By the end of the year, it didn't look to me like anyone was going to his side.

I would dispute the assertion he got burned quite a bit. If he did, I must've missed it.

Last edited:
As part of the recent negotiations between cornerback Asante Samuel and the Patriots, Samuel's representatives were seeking a contract that included about $30 million to be paid out in the first three years of the deal.

HAHAHAHA. :rofl: That is hilarious. Asante, you are such a joker.

I hope the Patriots laughed in his face when he made that demand.

With all of the information coming out, it is putting the Patriots in a bad bargining position.
That was my first thought, also. Everyone says 'just trade him for a first round pick' like we can pick a team and pull the string.

No team will trade for him unless they come to a contract agreement with him first. If he is holding out for 3yrs/$30 mil, then we need to find a player who will give us a first round pick AND give Asante $30 mil in a 3 year deal.

Be honest now. If Asante played for the Jets or Giants, would you give up one of our first round picks in order to sign Asante for 3 yrs $30 mil?

Of course not. So why would the Jets, Giants or anyone else?

Of course, I wouldn't have given up a first round pick and payed Deion $39 mil over 6 yrs (or whater it was) either.

Be honest now. If Asante played for the Jets or Giants, would you give up one of our first round picks in order to sign Asante for 3 yrs $30 mil?

Of course not. So why would the Jets, Giants or anyone else?
Because we're past free agency and they can't get a player in the draft who they can be confident in helping this year. Samuel and $$$ or, say, McCauley . . . if the team is well under the cap and expects to contend this year . . .

Of course, Asante wants Nate Clemets $$$$. I would, too. In my FIRST OFFER. What we do not know is what Samuel is willing to FINALLY agree to after several rounds of counter-offers

Samuel's trade value might never be higher, it's hard to see it being higher after next season even if he palys well. The Pat's will have used the franchise tag a second time (assuming no deal is struck) and other teams will know that Samuel is on the way out no matter what, leading them to play hard ball with the Pats.

Cripes, if Tampa would give us Ronde Barber and their high second rounder this year it would be coup for the Pats. Barber is a protypical Patriot: very experienced, free of major injuries, a workout warrior, with the highest 'intangibles,' and could have a couple of solid seasons while forming a veteran anchor in the DB as Rodney fades away. In terms of just the next two seasons, I'd much have Barber than Samuel. Given how close this team might be to another SB or two, a consistent, proven Ronde Barber would be more likely to help us over the hump than the up and down Asante Samuel who is certainly not a "top five cornerback."

Insane, huh? Let us see who Samuel is playing for in the last half if this season. If it is anyone but the patriots (or on IR for the patriots), I would think that Samuel is not insane.

You sympathize with these players too much. I really can give a hoot less if they don't like Eastern Massachusetts, or they prefer warm weather, or whatever. None of that is my concern. I don't know why they deserve my sympathy over anyone else. My only concern is in the BUSINESS DEALINGS with the Patriots. All the rest is just soap opera.

The definition of insane in football is Asante Samuel wanting to get paid like Tom Brady. That's nutty.

I guarantee that no football team in the NFL pays Asante $10 million a year over the next 3 years.

There is an article in the globe today that Asante is looking for 3 and 30 million.Which is a million more than Nate Nate Clements got in his deal.

I hope to hell we draft some CB's becuase I expect this to be a shoot out like Branch last year.

What is is supposed to say? I want $1 million per year? It is a negotiation.

While it could get ugly in most cases (the vast majority) players who get franchised, *****, moan, pout, cry, call names, miss training camp and then play the season under the tag. Based on the poll the is being run on this subject I am in the minority, but based on league history it usually plays out as described.

Good luck finding another SF!

Last edited:
If all you care about is business dealings, then wait for business deals are made to comment. The discussions here is about media statements not bsuniess dealings.

You can care about what you want. The attitude of players toward various cities affects the signed business deals. Graham WANTED to play in Seattle. He didn't WANT to play here. That affected the business deal, whether you choose to include such factors of not. Mason is NOT the star WR for the patriots because he chose not to come to MA. Stallworth chose to come. The city and the ownership were factors. IMHO, to think that BUSINESS DEALINGS means just cash is just plain silly. The city makes a HUGE difference to some players, as do many other non-cash considerations.

You sympathize with these players too much. I really can give a hoot less if they don't like Eastern Massachusetts, or they prefer warm weather, or whatever. None of that is my concern. I don't know why they deserve my sympathy over anyone else. My only concern is in the BUSINESS DEALINGS with the Patriots. All the rest is just soap opera.

The definition of insane in football is Asante Samuel wanting to get paid like Tom Brady. That's nutty.

I guarantee that no football team in the NFL pays Asante $10 million a year over the next 3 years.

Of course, Asante wants Nate Clemets $$$$. I would, too. In my FIRST OFFER. What we do not know is what Samuel is willing to FINALLY agree to after several rounds of counter-offers

* That may be true, but if the reports are correct, 4 mill a year is a pretty big gap to bridge.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back