Welcome to PatsFans.com

Asante Samuel plays role of leader

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Seymour93, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Here's a good article about "without a doubt" Asante's best NFL game yet. There's some telling quotes from teammates in it.

http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2006/11/27/news/sports/sports04.txt

I don't want to see another Branch situation unfold. Get Asante re-signed ASAP. Imagine our secondary without him.

2. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have upgraded my opinion of Asante by far this season. Last year, he looked like an inconsistent #2, as in prior seasons.

This year he has looked more and more like a real starting quality CB.

I would like to see him carry this level of play into the playoffs, because we need it.

Belichick will offer him what he is worth to the Pats. Asante will have every chance to re-sign with the team. Right now I would pay him more than I would have at the start of the season, based on his performance. But he is not a top five CB, and won't get paid that way by the Pats. Hopefully, he will cut a reasonable deal to stay with the team.

If not, he will keep playing hard for another contract......

3. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 10 / -1

Asante's stock continues to rise. If the Pats don't re-sign him before FA, it's a certainty that they will franchise tag him.

It looks like Samuel's agent made a good decision in not extending his client before the 11/06/2006 deadline.

4. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He's good at times. At others, against really good WRs he has shown to not so good. Not many CBs can claim they've won the majority of their battles against Wayne, Harrison, Walker etc.

That said, as what amounts to a defacto No. 1 corner, Samuel doesn't inspire anywhere near the level of confidence Law did when he was in his prime. Contract issues aside, Samuel will never be the CB Law was. If he re-signs, great. If he doesn't, it would be nice to see them draft someone with the speed and quickness Samuel seems to have but also someone who is more physical.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. Jimke

Jimke In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +79 / 13 / -6

There is no way that the Patriots will franchise Asante Samuel.

The amount to franchise a cornerback in 2006 was over 7 million

dollars. I expect it would be about 8 million in 2007.

Unfortunately, Asante is our only good cornerback and will be

missed if he leaves. If he is not re-signed before the end of the

season, he is probably a goner. Every interception raises his price tag.