PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd just hold out again, and get an automatic 20% raise not to play.

and the Pats get a GREAT reputation for doing that

Last edited:
i wouldn't mind that except that we would still have to pay him for each game.

Except for the ones he holds out on.

I agree with you though: bring him right back in when the 10 weeks are up. Let him be in the locker room with his head up his butt. I don't care. He is paid to play on the field, and everybody doesn't love everybody on a team. They are professional guys, and if one guy is sulking, it doesn't mean everybody goes south.

As for his play on the field, in this scenario, the incentive is to excel, so that he can "get paid" next year. Getting on the field and going through the motions would be just plain self-destructive. That, he ain't. Appreciative of a buck (ahem), he is.

So guess what, sports fans? With a (supposed) "weak" secondary (as in top 10 perhaps, not top 5,) this is not a team that's going to miss the playoffs, and is not likely to be a team that loses many games before weak 11.

See ya in December, Asante. About what, $4.875M from now? And you better prove your point, all the way through the super bowl.

Oh and by the way... you have the holdout at your disposal. The Pats have the franchise tag at their disposal. Next year too. Freakin' knock yourself out.

And Pujo, I agree: he has the right to do what he wants, within the law. So does the team. If he wants to lose about 2/3 of his salary this year, so be it. I don't think the team loses that much. He risks a great deal. And I don't see any incentive for the team to deal with him. He's loading the risk on the team, to hire a potential great at the salary of one of the greats.

So he believes in himself. Good for you, Asante. Keep a stiff upper lip and all that. Don't let the bastards grind you down. Watch the games on TV, keep your chin up, and don't show up out of shape after thanksgiving. We'll use you down the stretch - win-win, right?

Unless you're dumb enough to think you'd rather screw any future deal by pouting/dogging it after the holdout on top of all this -- if you're dumb enough that you really think money = respect, and it's all symbolic. That would lead to sulking your way out of getting paid, because getting paid was all about getting pride.

That would be a bad thing, all the way around.

PFnV

hahaaha i love how the car is beeping the whole way cause no one is wearing a seatbelt :singing:

So now we have to have this guy on the team with his crap attitude for the whole year. So he can just be a cancer to the team this year and a) get cut or b) get paid. It's win-win for him.

So now we have to have this guy on the team with his crap attitude for the whole year. So he can just be a cancer to the team this year and a) get cut or b) get paid. It's win-win for him.

He's NOT present unless he signs.

not if we break his legs.
I think that in the locker room he will be fine. The players seem to like him and he doesn't have any history of poor conduct.

not if we break his legs.
I think that in the locker room he will be fine. The players seem to like him and he doesn't have any history of poor conduct.

I agree, by week ten, this team could be 8-2 and fighting for a top seed in the playoffs. If he comes sauntering in with a bloated head and sense of self, I am sure that the rest of the team, the defense especially, will knock him down a peg or seven.

So who's better: you or Champ Bailey?

[Laughs] You know me, I think I'm better hands down...I think I'm the best out there. My play speaks for itself.

If he's better than Champ Bailey, maybe we could trade him to Denver for Champ and Denver's 1st next year. Even trade, correct? Wonder if Shanny thinks that's a fair trade?

Last edited:
My respect for his judgment went down when he said Super Troopers was a bad movie.

"Who wants a mustache ride?!"

If he's a cancer on teh team...couldn't the team suspend him?? I wonder..

i think that the Eagles (Owens) did something like that. I vaguely recall it.

Last edited:
The guy's a free agent. I think he just wanted to test the open market. Putting myself in his shoes, I can't help but not feel bad for him a little bit. Each one of those interceptions must have heightened his anticipation of free agency and the money he'd get, only to have free agency taken away when it was all said and done. I wouldn't have signed the contract either, but I bet you he's not going to hold out... if he's as smart as I suspect he is. All he's done so far is try and maximize what he can get out of his performance. There's been a slight change in tone in the way his agents have spoken since the deadline passed, and I noticed that as well in the interview- that he downplayed the possibility of holding out.

The bitterness here is funny. People pretend they understand "the business", but we fans aren't analysts, we're invested in the team doing the best it can and we don't care what these athletes make. I hope Asante comes back, but best of luck to him either way.
See I could care less if a greedy punk only makes 8 million a year. I root for the laundry.

The Terrell Owens situation is one of the latest examples I can think of but BB showed Terry Glenn who was in charge a few years ago.

The guy's a free agent.
Well he really isn't. He's played himself to the point that he can negotiate with other teams but not to the point of signing a contract with the 2 first round pick compensation. He might think he's a free agent . . . but he's not.

Well he really isn't. He's played himself to the point that he can negotiate with other teams but not to the point of signing a contract with the 2 first round pick compensation. He might think he's a free agent . . . but he's not.
Agreed. I was just pointing out the fact that he'd played out his contract fair and square... and he really isn't obligated to anyone right now. The franchise tag is just a restriction regarding his free-agency.

Last edited:
I'll take my '68 Impalla over that caprice any day. Yea, that tells you how much I care about the story...it was all fluff.

Also, the reporter talks about Dre Bly's 33M contract and uses that as one of the reasons Samuel might be discontent (along with Vasher's contract). Funny, the Patriots offered Asante slightly more than Bly's contract, and more than Vasher's total contract with the Bears (vasher's guaranteed money was 1M higher though)....maybe she needs to do a little more research.

Last edited:
My favorite part was when he said he was better than Champ Bailey

[Laughs] You know me, I think I'm better hands down. Me being a competitor, I'll never say any man is better than me. I think I'm the best out there. My play speaks for itself. I don't go around bragging about it. I let you guys talk about it. And you guys say I'm up there.

Not really the same thing.

Little puff piece article, nothing new here.

[Laughs] You know me, I think I'm better hands down...I think I'm the best out there. My play speaks for itself.

Why not quote his whole answer? It's not that long.

Oh, I see the ellipse ... means you intentionally left something out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes