PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Guy article

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have a much higher opinion of Patriots fans than is deserved, imo. Just like with Seymour, Samuel, et al.... I'd say that the more likely response is that Patriots fans would have found a way to belittle Brady while staying in lockstep with the team.

If that's the case, then we deserve whatever we get on the Brady front. Fans have to hold teams accountable, and if that makes you 'not a true fan', then so be it. If you're a Cubs fan who supports the team endlessly no matter how much it sucks, you'll just get endless sucky teams. I do think that Pats fans are smarter than that, though: we know that Brady's not selfish, and we know that he pretty much deserves whatever money he gets. If the Pats don't lock him up, that will easily the biggest Boston sports blunder of my lifetime.

If that's the case, then we deserve whatever we get on the Brady front. Fans have to hold teams accountable, and if that makes you 'not a true fan', then so be it. If you're a Cubs fan who supports the team endlessly no matter how much it sucks, you'll just get endless sucky teams. I do think that Pats fans are smarter than that, though: we know that Brady's not selfish, and we know that he pretty much deserves whatever money he gets. If the Pats don't lock him up, that will easily the biggest Boston sports blunder of my lifetime.

Patriots fans, for the most part, haven't been holding this team accountable since 2004. A lot of that has been a good thing, and most of the crying from pre-2009 fans was Chicken Little stuff, but this front office/ownership combo isn't perfect, and far too large a portion of the fan base has acted as if it is.

Be honest..... you can easily think of a sizable group of posters here who would find a way to make that situation be about Brady getting it wrong, can't you?

Patriots fans, for the most part, haven't been holding this team accountable since 2004. A lot of that has been a good thing, and most of the crying from pre-2009 fans was Chicken Little stuff, but this front office/ownership combo isn't perfect, and far too large a portion of the fan base has acted as if it is.

Be honest..... you can easily think of a sizable group of posters here who would find a way to make that situation be about Brady getting it wrong, can't you?

Here? Definitely, but I've never really thought of Patsfans as being representative of Pats fans as a whole. Patsfans seems to be made up of the extreme opinions on every side of the spectrum.

Also, of all of the moves that the Pats previously made, I didn't like cutting McGinest (but I understood why they did), I hated the Seymour trade (but at least we got a first rounder back, so I could see the other side even if I disagreed with it), and I wasn't entirely pumped about trading Vrabel away when we had so little behind him (but he wasn't half the player that Brady is). The rest of the moves, I pretty much agreed with.

I do not think the Patriots want to sign Brady to along term deal. I think they will franchise him.

Another unreal hack job by Bill Simmons. The guy has really become unbearable over the last several years (really since becoming one of ESPN.com's main writers).

I was pretty sure (but can't be positive) that at the time, Brady's last deal was one of the richest deals for a QB in the league. I was also pretty sure that Brady just reworked his deal (not take a paycut for the betterment of the team as Simmons seems to think).

I agree with the sentiment that he should stick to basketball. It's the only thing he doesn't suck at.

Many years ago a very wise man told me the truth, no one ever said it would be fair. It was a liberating however disappointing realization.

Athletes have a sad habit of equating money with respect, when the only common denominator is both generally must be earned.

Brady never finished his rookie deal. The team stepped up and gave him a 5 year $30M deal when he had a six figure year left on his 6th round rookie deal (and a year as a restricted FA to boot). Brady gave the team a home town discount on his third deal. Not a huge one, despite urban legend, but one based on having two years remaining on the second deal he had outperformed. Manning saw $36M in the first two years of his deal in signing bonus and salary. He was a FA having completed his entire rookie deal and under the franchise tag to the tune of $18M. Brady saw pretty nearly the same in signing, option bonus and salary. Brady's three year take was $37.5, Manning's was $45. Brady's 4 year take was $46M, Mannings was $54. Manning's deal was backloaded with unguaranteed salary for effect, Brady's wasn't. Both were poised for extensions in 2008 - 2009. Manning's backloaded cap hits were approaching $20M. In playing out their deals Brady averaged just over $10M per and Manning averaged $14M. Unfortunately, **** happens and the CBA got opted out. They can blame their union for that. As a result of the rules then in place, which theie union also signed off on, extensions became extremely difficult to craft for players in line for upwards of $40M or more in rock solid guaranteed money... And I can't imagine Simmons would want Brady to settle for half assed, performance based or rolling kinda but not really guaranteed money like rookie QB's get.

Brady has said on numerous occasions that while he hates to lose teamates over contracts, he respects both their right to do what they feel is in their best interest AND the discipline within which this organizations FO operates. He knows they aren't lining their pockets with the difference, it's going to build a deeper and more talented roster top to bottom. The Colts were lucky they won that superbowl in 2006 in more ways than one. Rex Grossman and the mighty Bears were a joke. The following season Polian fielded a roster with 19 players who had never set foot on an NFL field. That's the difference between the two Bill's methods. That and a fist full more rings for one than the other.

Brady didn't do what the media wanted him to do, vindictively screw Kraft and Belichick by holding out. He did what those who knew him knew he would do. Now the media chooses to paint that as an unfortunate character trait that the team is taking advantage of, because that allows them to speculate again that sooner or later he's just got to get so mad he can't see straight...and then surely he will screw them. 'Cause that's what they'd do... I guess as usual they were too busy babbling amongst themselves to actually hear him last week when he said he doesn't care what they think, he doesn't care what anyone thinks. He just wants to play football with this team and this organization. What a tool...

This is a coaches league, unlike basketball and baseball. I don't doubt Brady in particular and Manning would have achieved some level of success had they landed elsewhere. I do doubt that either would have either three rings or a stranglehold on most of the all time stats had they landed somewhere where mismanagement and incompetent coaching is the order of the day. In each case they became first ballot HOF locks well before their career's hit the back 9. Each to some extent owes that to the guys who put them in a position to win consistently. And unlike most mediots, I think they not only know that, they embrace it. That's why neither will ever hold out. They measure respect in W's and rings and legacy. Money is just a pleasant byproduct of that process. Ego and insecurity is what drives so many lesser players to equate amassing it with respect.

People don't remember and respect John Hannah for how much he did or didn't earn in his career, they respect him for how he played the game on the field. Nobody respects Albert Haynesworth or the fool who paid him what they both claimed he deserved for making that deal happen.

And FWIW this is comical coming from a writer who didn't have the courage of his own convictions when ESPN was screwing him six ways to Sunday. He biatched like a teenaged girl, but he didn't take his typewriter and walk out like he wants these players to. And neither Brady nor Manning has ever taken a pay cut. Restructures just move money around and create more cap space. The players still get every nickle they had coming to them, and often a few nickles more.

People are ripping him without even giving a thought to what if he is right?

Perhaps this has something to do with it:

"I don't know if Brady feels that way for sure."

He wrote 8 paragraphs on how Brady feels and followed it with that sentence. He admits the Brady part of the column is pure speculation.

This is a classic Simmons column - names his firends by their dumb nickname, overloads it with pop culture references, throws out something that will get hits, and pumps up his own ego - I'm important, I understand holdouts, I used to serve John Hannah Bud Lites!!!! At the end of the day he is a fan with writing talent who was innovative, hilarious, and way ahead of the curve on the internet but (to use a favorite Simmons line) lost his fastball years ago. Why would anyone worry about what he says when there have been other recent reports from folks like Schefter who has actual NFL sources saying a deal is getting closer?

Last edited:
Why would anyone worry about what he says when there have been other recent reports from folks like Schefter who has actual NFL sources saying a deal is getting closer?

That's exactly what it comes down to. He admits that this is 100% speculation, while the top folks with actual sources in the league say that an extension is in progress and everything's going great. And for whoever would bring up the Brady-Silver interview, Brady also does interviews with Peter King, and King said the same thing that Schefter did: an extension's going to get worked out, there's no bad blood, and that's that.

The most telling point to me, though, was Aaron Schatz' tweet the other day about how the only difference between Brady's situation and Manning's is the aggressiveness of the local media. The Boston media spun this whole non-story out of thin air to give themselves something to talk about, and they pumped it up until it took on a life of its own. No more and no less, and no credible source has ever indicated that there's any validity at all to any of it.

Last edited:
Actually you mean 10-7,18-1,11-5 and 10-7.

Pay Brady. He is the best damn player in the history of the franchise. And for that matter, pay everyone else so that Brady wins one more Superbowl.
Don't mean to correct both of you but 14-5,18-1,11-5 and 10-7.
But yes, pay the man .

Yippee Simmons is a huge fan of basketball and the NBA, a sports league one step up in legitmacy from the WWE.
Who cares what his takes are on the Patriots and the NFL??

I agree Boston media is playing the whole thing up, but Brady's contract situation and the Boston media's behavior are both not isolated. When it comes to player contracts the Patriots have been like this for a long, long time.

Last year the guy was Wilfork, remember all the media articles floated around saying Wilfork was offered X dollars and didn't sign, to pre-emptively paint him as the bad guy in case he didn't re-sign?

As for that long post above about Brady, the Pats even tried to short change Tom Brady, local radio hosts repeated how many years ago the Pats drew a line in the sand and said they weren't paying a $20,000 bonus Brady thought he was due in his 2nd contract. Brady never forgot this when they re-upped in that 3rd deal, and insisted the Patriots add that $20K figure in there.

Brady always says and does the right things in public, but this is a guy who definitely remembers, from that 20K bonus money example.

Last edited:
Don't recall ever hearing the $20K story, but then I don't pay much attention to what Boston radio hosts blather. It would be comical to hear them rationalize why that player then supposedly took a draconian discounted deal on the heels of his 3rd SB ring...

Brady knows how tough it is to make it at his position out of the 6th round, despite your talent or drive, because of the politics of coaching and FO's and ownerships at many if not most franchises. That he was given the opportunity and support to make it here isn't something he's likely to ever forget, either. No matter how desperately the media would like him to. They aren't fond of Belichick or Kraft because they don't play footsies with mediots. They believe Belichick for one deliberately sets out to make their lives miserable. At the end of the day that is what this is all about. They want the players, and particularly Brady, to get even for them. It's been what's been keeping Borges alive for a decade now...

Responses to this article is clockwork: Anti-Patriot article, let's bash the guy that wrote it.

Truth be told, Simmons makes some excellent points and looks at the prespective of the players as regular people with emotions.

"And yes, I forgave John Hannah that night, even if I never told him."

That's a pretty douchey thing to write.

Bill Simmons doesn't write about sports. He writes about himself watching sports. And Teen Wolf.

That's a pretty douchey thing to write.

Bill Simmons doesn't write about sports. He writes about himself watching sports. And Teen Wolf.

Not that I'm a huge fan of his but as far as I recall....

He's never stated he does anything but what you 'accuse' him of doing.

I know I'm coming late to the party, but my two cents are that the Patriots should loosen up the pursestrings and pay Tom Brady.

It is true that Brady took less money on his last deal to help the team. And that immediately after that the Pats let Branch go rather than overpay him. It might have been a smart business move by the Pats, but it probably cost them a shot at the '05 Superbowl. If you are Brady and you just accepted less money to keep the core intact, that has to hurt to then see the team immediately let someone go. (Yes Branch was just as much at fault, but the point remains.)

I still remember the '05 season quite well--probably better than any of their Superbowl-winning seasons. It was quite obvious from the get-go that the Pats had what it took for another shot at the Superbowl except for the fact that Brady simply had no targets. Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney were his "top" targets, for cripes sake. Sure enough, the Pats ended up losing when neither of those guys could produce even one decent play in the AFC Championship game. The Patriots' decision to play absolute hardball with Deion Branch screwed the team and it screwed Brady.

The Pats need to do right by Brady. They need him this season and for the forseeeable future. Stop jerking him around and give him that one last lucrative contract already.

Last edited:
What an idiot. Slusher held out Hannah and Gray as a tandem, as if anyone in their right mind thought the Sullivans could pay a King's ransom for two linemen and still afford to pay anyone else more than minimum?

The Sullivan's rightly ended up paying Hannah, which likely already stretched their OLine budget, drafted an adequate affordable left tackle and went to the Super bowl with Hannah and a very talented bunch, but not with a top tier salaried left tackle.

Do guys like Simmons think these owners can go to Ben Bernanke and have him print more money so everyone gets to be highest paid in the league?

Of course they'll back up the brinks truck for Brady, but there are issues and contingencies that need to be assessed regarding the union contract.

I still remember the '05 season quite well--probably better than any of their Superbowl-winning seasons. It was quite obvious from the get-go that the Pats had what it took for another shot at the Superbowl except for the fact that Brady simply had no targets. Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney were his "top" targets, for cripes sake. Sure enough, the Pats ended up losing when neither of those guys could produce even one decent play in the AFC Championship game. The Patriots' decision to play absolute hardball with Deion Branch screwed the team and it screwed Brady.

If you remember the '05 season so well, you may recall that Deion Branch played that year and that Caldwell and Gaffney came a year later.

If you remember the '05 season so well, you may recall that Deion Branch played that year and that Caldwell and Gaffney came a year later.

And considering the games he missed in 2007 and 2008 it's a pretty good bet we wouldn't have gone to another superbowl let alone gone there undefeated because we wouldn't have signed Moss or been able to re-sign him. Might not have made the move for Welker, either, especially had we retained Givens... In hindsight no way retaining either of those players by overpaying for them helps Brady maintain the legacy pace, and I guarantee it wouldn't have launched Cassel's career...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft