PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy's a free agent. I think he just wanted to test the open market. Putting myself in his shoes, I can't help but not feel bad for him a little bit. Each one of those interceptions must have heightened his anticipation of free agency and the money he'd get, only to have free agency taken away when it was all said and done. I wouldn't have signed the contract either, but I bet you he's not going to hold out... if he's as smart as I suspect he is. All he's done so far is try and maximize what he can get out of his performance. There's been a slight change in tone in the way his agents have spoken since the deadline passed, and I noticed that as well in the interview- that he downplayed the possibility of holding out.
Actually he's NOT a free agent...he's franchised..MORE in a gray area..I think there's a sucker born every minute...sorry for him??? Tears..for the guy is being punished with almost 8 million dollars..wahhhhh!!!!!!! what BS!! he's also showed he's full of GREED!!! and that's fine for the greedy ones out there...worship money liek a GOD!! what GREAT vallues!! I think he plays..otherwise he loses in many ways.

Last edited:
Actually he's NOT a free agent...he's franchised..
In terms of him not having to show up without being fined, which is what was being talked about, he's 100% a free agent.

What a joke. Who cares about Asante? For three years he was average at best and at the begining of last year most people on this board voted him the weakest link out of the 22.

See my post in the No Deal thread ( http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=57468&page=14 ) for the details, but the bottom line is Asante has cost himself millions of dollars by failing to sign a new deal.

Asante's "I'm better than Champ" remarks prove his head is in the clouds. He tries to bail on his bragging by suggesting the media puts him up there with Bailey - ah, where's the quote/article saying that, and can Asante be so dopey not to realize the hypocrisy of claiming validation of his talent in the media, only to condemn the same because they "try to make you look bad" if you're a star like Vick.

"A lot of people think I'm doing the right thing and should get what I deserve." Asante, Asante, as you point out about the fans that don't understand how you could turn down millions from the Pats, whoever these other 'people' are, they aren't you and are not going to be suffering the financial consequences you face for not signing a long term deal and then holding out. You'll be out of cash and they'll be saying, right on, bro! You stood up for your rights!

As for your reply to the question wondering whether it's legit to franchise players-
"I think it says a lot about that player, but I don't think it's the right thing for players. Just let them be free if you didn't want to sign them. Let them go on with their career." - go cry to the union, dude, they signed the deal giving teams this power. At this late a juncture (two weeks ago) to hear Samuel whine about the tag makes it clear that he does not really understand it's a business, and that his agent has failed to really give Asante the big picture.

I don't care if he plays for us or not. He's got talent but I'd just as soon make do without him than have to listen crap about his contract every freaking week.

You could have made 3 or 4 times what the Pat's offered you? Ha, ha, ha, you made me laugh, Asante! You can't be talking about the bogus offer from the Jests! Could you????

Last edited:
See my post in the No Deal thread ( http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=57468&page=14 ) for the details, but the bottom line is Asante has cost himself millions of dollars by failing to sign a new deal.

Asante's "I'm better than Champ" remarks prove his head is in the clouds. He tries to bail on his bragging by suggesting the media puts him up there with Bailey - ah, where's the quote/article saying that, and can Asante be so dopey not to realize the hypocrisy of claiming validation of his talent in the media, only to condemn the same because they "try to make you look bad" if you're a star like Vick.

"A lot of people think I'm doing the right thing and should get what I deserve." Asante, Asante, as you point out about the fans that don't understand how you could turn down millions from the Pats, whoever these other 'people' are, they aren't you and are not going to be suffering the financial consequences you face for not signing a long term deal and then holding out. You'll be out of cash and they'll be saying, right on, bro! You stood up for your rights!

As for your reply to the question wondering whether it's legit to franchise players-
"I think it says a lot about that player, but I don't think it's the right thing for players. Just let them be free if you didn't want to sign them. Let them go on with their career." - go cry to the union, dude, they signed the deal giving teams this power. At this late a juncture (two weeks ago) to hear Samuel whine about the tag makes it clear that he does not really understand it's a business, and that his agent has failed to really give Asante the big picture.

I don't care if he plays for us or not. He's got talent but I'd just as soon make do without him than have to listen crap about his contract every freaking week.

You could have made 3 or 4 times what the Pat's offered you? Ha, ha, ha, you made me laugh, Asante! You can't be talking about the bogus offer from the Jests! Could you????

How does he not understand it's a business? And how do you know the offers are bogus? and that they're from the Jets? I'm sure you never thought Deion Branch would get the money he got last year too uh!

Last edited:
I can safely say that, until last year, I had always thought Samuel pretty much sucked huge ***.

Last year, he proved that, as a ball-hawk in the Belichick system, he was adequate. However, I still think he is overrated as a coverage man and I think we can all agree-- his tackling is laughable.

I always thought Randall Gay was a much better overall corner--not to mention better character-- than Samuel, and never got the chance to prove it because of injury upon injury.

Let's hope that a healthy Gay proves it this year, and that when the ten games are up, Mr. Belichick can welcome Samuel back with a nice warm seat on the bench backing up Gay and Ellis Hobbs-- and maybe even Tory James or even Chad Scott.

Then Mr. Pioli could sign Gay to a long term deal, and slap the franchise tag right back on Samuel so the Jets have to pony up a couple o' firsts if they really REALLY want him.

Wishful thinking? I seem to recall having similarly unlikely wishes when Mr. Bledsoe was recovering from a certain "perforated lung" a while back (i.e. keep Tom in the game and get rid of Drew to the highest bidder)-- and having Mr. Belichick and Mr. Pioli grant me those wishes quite well, thank you very much.

I can safely say that, until last year, I had always thought Samuel pretty much sucked huge ***.

Last year, he proved that, as a ball-hawk in the Belichick system, he was adequate. However, I still think he is overrated as a coverage man and I think we can all agree-- his tackling is laughable.

I always thought Randall Gay was a much better overall corner--not to mention better character-- than Samuel, and never got the chance to prove it because of injury upon injury.

Let's hope that a healthy Gay proves it this year, and that when the ten games are up, Mr. Belichick can welcome Samuel back with a nice warm seat on the bench backing up Gay and Ellis Hobbs-- and maybe even Tory James or even Chad Scott.

Then Mr. Pioli could sign Gay to a long term deal, and slap the franchise tag right back on Samuel so the Jets have to pony up a couple o' firsts if they really REALLY want him.

Wishful thinking? I seem to recall having similarly unlikely wishes when Mr. Bledsoe was recovering from a certain "perforated lung" a while back (i.e. keep Tom in the game and get rid of Drew to the highest bidder)-- and having Mr. Belichick and Mr. Pioli grant me those wishes quite well, thank you very much.

So you've seen Randall Gay play enough in the league to say he's better?

The interview shows why most athletes shouldn't do them -:) The Law, Seymour, Milloy, Branch, Samuel, etc., situations aren't exactly alike. What is alike is that thier contract situations where basically a player wants more money than either he gets or is offered. It's very likely to happen again next year and the one after that and the one......................... It's the way of todays NFL. On the better teams it's even mre likely.

A full season in 2004 was enough. It was also enough to give me a sick feeling in my stomach when he went down in 2005, and we were left with Asante.

Perhaps you weren't a Pats fan back then. If that's the case, I can forgive you for coming up on the Asante side in this matter.

In terms of him not having to show up without being fined, which is what was being talked about, he's 100% a free agent.
But he's not free to sign with anyone unless they give us two #1s. He's not a free agent . . . he's an unfree free agent. Too bad for him.

Wasn't he the one that got torched in the superbowl? And I'm not taking any sides, I'm just questioning some of the statements you made. One season is enough to tell you about Gay but not Samuel? And what character issues are you talking about? How is his tackling questionable? Isn't this a business?

Wasn't he the one that got torched in the superbowl?
Gay had Owens 1-1 for much of the game and held his own - he got beaten a few times but I'd hardly call it "torched". Whether he can go from a decent cover guy to one who causes turnovers, though, is unlikely right now.

Am I the only one who noticed Jemele Hill changed the wording of her questions & Asante's answers from the actual interview (on film) to her written version of the interview?

Am I the only one who noticed Jemele Hill changed the wording of her questions & Asante's answers from the actual interview (on film) to her written version of the interview?

It's a common practice in print. When interviewing, you're trying to be conversational and ask questions in such a way as to get the kind of responses you want. When editing your interview for publication, you want to rephrase the questions to to better fit the responses and to be as concise as possible. It's important to keep true to meaning subject's words, and if this is better achieved by entirely reinventing the questions, so be it.

"If you do hold out for a long time, how long before you call Pacman Jones and go to the strip club?" Way too funny..........

He's HARDLY a 100% free agent when he's negotiating with other teams...IF he wishes to sign, there is a LARGE amount of compensation given to the Patriots HARDLY freee...AND if you had read further in what I said THE AREA you conveniently decided not to quote I said, "he's franchised..MORE in a gray area.."...AND THAT is what he is in a gray area!! So your 100% free agent is 100% WRONG!!!

I hate the agents that have come in -- as non-players, as non-fans, as non-owners -- and poisoned the minds of these modern day players with the crap: "it's a business and you have to take care of number one, first, last, and always."

I hope Asante enjoys his four sets of wheels, his new homes, and all the other bling.

Enjoy it while you can, "business man". And don't forget to kiss your 20% agent for all his "hard work" of "keeping you strong".

//

I hate the agents that have come in -- as non-players, as non-fans, as non-owners -- and poisoned the minds of these modern day players with the crap: "it's a business and you have to take care of number one, first, last, and always."

I hope Asante enjoys his four sets of wheels, his new homes, and all the other bling.

Enjoy it while you can, "business man". And don't forget to kiss your 20% agent for all his "hard work" of "keeping you strong".

//

Licensed agents aren't allowed to charge more than 3% as per the NFLPA.

J D Sal

Licensed agents aren't allowed to charge more than 3% as per the NFLPA.

J D Sal

So that's why they try to jack these ridiculous salaries into the stratosphere, because they "only" charge 3%! Now it all makes sense.

"It's just a business, like any other."

//

What else is he going to say? There's a reason why people have Agents and guys like Asante Samuel don't negotiate their own contracts. His agent knows he stands to lose big time by holding out and Samuel will ultimately trust what his agent says. Either way, he's an arrogant jack@ss who is high if he thinks he's better than Bailey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back