Welcome to PatsFans.com

As expected, Mike Pereira happy with ball spot

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Chris Mortensen (mortreport) on Twitter

2. CampPen33

CampPen33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Re: As expected Mike Pereira happy with ball spot

What a flipping joke. What about the PI call I wonder?
  3. Gwedd

Gwedd PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No Mood

His lips are moving, but it's Goodell and Polian who are speaking.
  4. LasVegasPatsFan

LasVegasPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

That's his job to cover up his referee's mistakes. He would defend Bin Laden if he wore a zebra stripped shirt
  5. Patspsycho

Patspsycho Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What can he do? He has Polian sniffing his a** like the big bad dog on the block does to every little dog that crosses his path.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

This should be called a sore loser thread ... what spot is ever perfect when the player is shielding the ball from the official? I sure wish the spot was better but It's ajudgement call without the benefit of a replay. I moved on Monday morning --- more fans need to move on. Even a victory did not guarantee anything in terms of playoff position.
  7. CampPen33

CampPen33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

+1 but it sure would have helped.
  8. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The spot was very close, so im not upset about it. BUT, like you said, what about the PI?????:mad:
  9. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey

Pereira has the "judgement call" in his back pocket for that, just like Samuel on Lelie back in 2005. It was after that I stopped watching Pereira.
  10. CampPen33

CampPen33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What I hate about PI: Defensive pass interference on a 50 yard pass = 50 yard penalty, while Offensive pass interference on the same pass.... what is that? 50 yards the other way? nope.
  11. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

jesus dude, you should warn us before revealing such surprises.....i almost had a heartattack....
  12. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

Pereira will never admit fault with the refs unless it is so blatant, he can't BS his way through a remotely plausible explaination it was the correct call. I have seen him go to some ludicrious lengths to protect the refs.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey

Pass interference and replay are two areas where college football gets it right over the NFL.
  14. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I tend to focus on the fact that if Faulk didn't bobble the ball, he clearly would've gotten the first. Can't blame the refs for bad execution.
  15. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Actually the way he tap dances around looking like a total tool is he periodically readily owns up to mistakes that did not effect the outcome of the game...brilliant strategy. In many ways the Polamalu call was easy to own up to because Pittsburgh overcame it. If they hand't...it would have been doubletalked into a judgement call. He never owned up on the rationalized as faceguarding which doesn't exist as a penalty call on Hobbs, played the subjective judgement/interpretation of contact call card, yet Hobbs revealed there was an apology issued on it.
  16. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I agree that the play was close, and I think that we have no one to blame but ourselves for letting the game get close in the first place. But, with that said, I think that Pereira is pathetic, and that it was clearly a first down. He should at least have admitted that the line judge who was screened from the play should not have overruled the line judge who had a view of the play.
  17. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Sadly I don't think you can make that assumption. These officials screw up too often and routinely. Non calls as well as bad calls. I think if we had access to coaches film our hair would curl... And any day now we may once the NFL realizes there is money to be made.
  18. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

They make bad calls all the time, but the ref planted his foot right on the 30 when faulk made the catch, then when he processed the bobble, he took a step to the left where faulk landed. He was ready to give them the first, but Faulk gave him a reason not to.
  19. Spiral

Spiral PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

After looking at the play dozens of times, the spot was strictly a guess. The official could not tell when Faulk gained possession of the ball, and he got no help at all from any of the other officials. Unless the replay officials had access to differeent perspectives from those shown on TV, there wasn't sufficient evidence to overturn the call even if it had been challenged, IMO.
  20. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Ball spotting is indeed spotty a lot of the time BUT...

forward progress is nearly always the rule unless the ref sees a bobble.

The ref made this decision from the blind side. 9 times out of 10, he puts the ball at the spot of forward progress.

So, you can say ball spotting is inexact, and it is, but the majority of the time, refs go by forward progress.
  21. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Trouble is the closest albeit screened guy was the head linesman and the side judge ran in the length of the 31 but made no signal whatsoever. I believe I read there were two other officials closer with a direct view, you can see one on the replay, but they were reportedly conveniently not looking at the catch as apparently there job was to focus on locating any other potential infraction in case the pass was completed for a conversion... And of course one of them was the back judge who called the phantom PI so...:rolleyes:
  22. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Are you talking about the NBC replays or the ones shown on ESPN and youtube after the game?

Because during the game they showed a lot better angles than the talking heads were looking at afterward.
  23. vyrago

vyrago Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I used to own horses. They are all dead now, but none of them are as dead as this horse that we (and I definitely included myself) and sports talk radio keep beating.
  24. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey

From my watching of the replays it was the guy on the side, not the one behind the ball, who blew it. The official on the side was directly lined up with the play and it should have been clear to him that Faulk wasn't bobbling the ball all the way down but batted the ball to himself, caught it and then was pushed back. This is the official who spotted the ball and the one who should be fired on the spot (pun not intended).
  25. stevedogc

stevedogc Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I can accept the facts that the referee made a guess on the spot. What bothers me is that there were 2 other officials who had to have had a better viewpoint of the non-bobble to the ground and they never conferenced on the spot. I think if an official, like the one on the sideline, knows he did not have the best view on a play so crucial, he should tlak it over with the other refs.

The more and more we talk about this game, the more and more upset I am getting about the PI call on Butler. That play changed everything about the last 3 minutes of the game. If that is called correctly, then the Cotls do not by the 2 minute warning to bring the lead to 6. Then the Pats play the final two minutes completely different. What is even more disturbing is the fact that the BB 4th and 2 call is getting all the coverage while the bad call is not. We all know the Pats are classy, but somethimes I wish they would act more like Ray Lewis and the Ravens when they feel the refs made a bad call. Because it never seems to be brought up. I mean just look at the last few games between the Colts and Pats.

2006 AFCC - Bogus facegaurding against Hobbs. Non PI call on Hayden against Caldwell in the endzone. Those bad calls more then likely resulted in a 8 poitn difference for the Colts. The Pats lost by 4.

2007 Week 9. The Pats were penalized 10 time for over 150 yards. The Colts were penalized 4 times for 25 yards. The Pats had two PI calls against them for 77 yards including one were Hobbs was tackled by Wayne in the endzone while having position on Wayne for the int. After almost being forced to review the call, Pereira claimed the Hobbs interfered with Wayne while playing the ball. So he was doing what he is allowed to do, but interefered with Wayne while doing it. How is that possible? You cant make the play correctly, but be penalized for it.

I am starting to wonder how much all of the bickering by Polian may have stuck in the refs heads over the past few games.
  26. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Bingo. This whole thing is a moot point if you run a play to get three yards on 4th and 2 instead of 2 yards. Not always easy, but when you execute that precisely, you leave yourself open to these kinds of calls. Better to take it out of the refs hands by making it obvious you got the 1st.
  27. Bostonian1962

Bostonian1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I noticed he gave him the first initially, but my reasoning on why he moved is more cynical. There were a couple of Patriots pointing "first down", but a whole gaggle of Colts yelling and screaming the other way. I'll never be able to prove it, but I am convinced that is what caused him to shift back the other way. The "bobble" was an excuse after the fact.

Even the phantom pass interference call that lead to the Colts TD before had a late flag. Bet ya a dollar the Colts WR flop and cry, drew that flag.
  28. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Firstly..I guess you do not understand football too much...Is there ONLY one official in the game?? "
    "what spot is ever perfect when the player is shielding the ball from the official? " Umm that is why there are SEVEN officials so that if one is being shielded..the others can help out..GUESS you did not know that. You tell me why they did not confer and why the official that was shielded, did NOT know when Faulk had control of the ball (unless he has X ray eyes) and was allowed to make the spot?? Hmmmm...Also, if one cared to notice it Brock was lined up in the neutral zone.. as long as people keep making excuses for poor officiating again and again..IT will never change..and it is PUTRID!! And what makes it worse is Goodell and company do NOT care at all. It's NOT just about this game..but there are blown calls that make a difference IN ALMOST EVERY game!
  29. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey

There is no way, absolutely no way the lineman could have seen Faulk bobble the ball as you say. His back was facing toward the lineman. The lineman made an assumption.. which was incorrect.

It's a worldwide trait. Umpires assume, blow calls and the administrations put their heads in the sand and stand behind the officials.
  30. ricogatenby99

ricogatenby99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Honestly people, you dont get half of it, anybody just watch the Republic of Ireland V France Soccer game? Thats what you call bad officiating :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.