PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Arrington? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
patsfaninpa said:
Great point Upstater. I went to many PSU games when Lavar was there.
I've followed his career closely. He's a good guy not a publicity hound.
A friend of mine coached his brother's basketball team. Lavar caused
too big a stir when he went to the games. People would hound him for
autographs throughout the game. He just asked my friend if he would
give him the game tape so he could watch it. Very good family too.
Father was Vietnam Vet who was wounded and has always had
trouble walking since. Mom is an educator. He plays with a huge amount
of brashness. But, that's it. Stays on the field.

I've always wondered why Lavar was never told "sic em". The LT
comparision is good. LT didn't worry about dropping into the flat and
covering a te or a fb. PSU didn't do it. Lined him up on the same side
of the field as Courtney Brown. I love Jerry Sandusky. But, that was
the dumbest thing I've ever seen. He's been in a 4-3 in the pros. Where
the olb does have more responsiblities than the elephant position in a
3-4. He's never had that role in the NFL either. Line him up outside of
our de's and point him at the damn qb! Let the offensive coordinator
worry about him. Not worry about covering the flat. Sorry for rant.
If you watched this guy closely. You'd love him.

Wow great post. Ty for your personal observations. I agree that if anybody took the time to watch him they would love his game.

Digger44 said:
Wow truth hurts. I love Monday morning QB's who know nothing of what they speak. I love it when data cannot be given to back up opinions. I love it when people take their ball and go home just because they cannot meet reality and logically work through their opinion. I am not saying I am always right, however bring some facts to the table instead getting your grove from the media.
Okay, maybe you can help me with another fact. The Redskins had a lot of time and money invested in him, he's still a young player, and they are a team that is clearly trying to win the Super Bowl every year, and despite him being a "beast", they (including one of the best coaches in football) were more than willing to let him walk away.

Why?

Pats67 said:
Okay, maybe you can help me with another fact. The Redskins had a lot of time and money invested in him, he's still a young player, and they are a team that is clearly trying to win the Super Bowl every year, and despite him being a "beast", they (including one of the best coaches in football) were more than willing to let him walk away.

Why?

great Question Pats67, going to a meeting I will answer in an hour

Ok. As a note, I understand that, despite their focus on being a championship team, the Redskins haven't always been the most sound organization, so decision making is part of the equation. However, Joe Gibbs IS a great coach, they are closer than they have been to being a championship team right now, yet they let him walk. If he is/was as dominent as is claimed, something doesn't add up. Neither do the problems he had with Gregg Williams in respect to the team's system.

Digger44 said:
Wow truth hurts. I love Monday morning QB's who know nothing of what they speak. I love it when data cannot be given to back up opinions. I love it when people take their ball and go home just because they cannot meet reality and logically work through their opinion. I am not saying I am always right, however bring some facts to the table instead getting your grove from the media.

Show me where in this thread you have backed up any of your arguments with any facts? You said:

"ask any skins fan and they'll tell you he's a beast"

That is what passes in your mind as backing up your argument?

Why should their opinion be any more valid? In fact, why is yours?

It's this type of philosophy that makes the world unpleasant. You would rather point out that someone is wrong, instead of making your own point.

Congratulations. You got me. I've heard things about Lavar Arrington, and thought I saw what they were talking about. You have to admit that he hasn't gotten along well down there in DC...why? But I guess you proved me wrong. Not that you backed it up with any actual facts, but just great points like "ask any skins fan and they'll tell you he's a beast". I'm sure that's how Bill Belichick evaluates talent. He goes and asks skins fans.

Do you know why Lavar isn't happy with Skins management?
It's his stupid agents fault. But, how would you feel about
your employer if you agreed verbally to a contract. Then, when
the actual contract was signed. A key component was missing.
He lost out on a 7.5m bonus because his agent didn't read
the contract. Skins could have honored the agreement. But,
they didn't. I doubt if I would be willing to go all out for my
employer if something like that happened to me. He played well
and certainly tried. But, it was time to move on.

The knock on LA was that he did could not get a handle on the defensive schemes in DC so he freelanced alot to try and make up for has lack of knowing the scheme. Warren Sapp even went as far as to publicly nickname LA "Can't get right" Lavar is a great talent but IMHO he would not be a good fit here, because BB's defense is so complicated.

I think the fact that we've heard of Arrington reduces his chances of coming here ENORMOUSLY ;)

Reasons why LA was let go, not ranking in any order.
1. The postons blew it when it came contract time, and there seemed to be deception on the skins part (not sure if it was intentional). It was just a bad situation that the organization realized that they cannot get full play out of LA unless they pony up $6mil he thought he was getting. He was a lame duck.
2. A few posts have asked "how are the skins signing all these player?" One way was by letting LA go and accepting his contract buyout. That created more $$$ so Snyder could buy names.
3. Dan Snyder is never satisfied with what he has. He is always toying with the roster and is in the habit of change. Why Champ Bailey for Portis? Where was Portis come playoff time? On the Bench. Debate the trade all you want, but there was no reason for it.
4. LA lost his drive in DC. Did you hear his comments after the first playoff win? He just smiled and was happy to win, there was no hunger there anymore caused by a huge distrust with the agent thing. Instead of blaming the postons he blamed the team. This is similar to #2, but a different nuance.
5. He didn't get along with Gibbs. There was trouble with LA and Gibbs in training camp b4 the season started. This is where all the "freelance" ideas came from. Up until this season you didn't hear the freelance thing. IMO and from watching training camp there was something bigger. It may have been that Gibbs wanted to change LA's role and LA didn't want to change his game.

These are what I can do off the top of my head, there may be more.

cdillon28 said:
The knock on LA was that he did could not get a handle on the defensive schemes in DC so he freelanced alot to try and make up for has lack of knowing the scheme. Warren Sapp even went as far as to publicly nickname LA "Can't get right" Lavar is a great talent but IMHO he would not be a good fit here, because BB's defense is so complicated.

The discipline may not be the problem, but his IQ? Never thought of that. Interesting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back