PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armando Salguero: Taylor more likely to sign with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Armando Salguero: Taylor more likely to sign with Pats.

He was a team Captain for years with the Fin's, he won the "Don Shula" Team Leadership Award twice (2002, 2006). What makes you think that he would forget how to be a leader once he got here? Leaders lead, that's what they do. He's proven that he's a leader.

Any argument to the contrary is nuts.

I do however understand your argument, that filling Vrabels shoes in respect to leadership will be impossible, he was captain many times and the union rep. for the Pats - In that respect, filling the void that Mike left won't happen. My comment was that Jason was a veteran leader, that can not be argued.

I never mentioned Rodney, but I understand your point there as well and agree that IF he his done and does not come back that leadership roll will have to come from a Patriots Veteran and not a free agent. Although, remember this: Rodney was voted a Captain his first year with the team and took a leadership roll immediately.

What did he lead them to? They have never won anything.
Who would you want leading your team? A guy who was a leader on a team that didn't win, or a guy who was a leader on the most successful team of the decade?

Taylor hates the Pats, said he would only play for them if the money was right. His heart is in Miami.

I know right? I've been looking everywhere since I saw that. No joy.:mad:

We shouldn't set our expectations that high for a Jets fan

link please?

=======================================================

Jason Taylor talking with Miami Dolphins about possible return - ESPN

The six-time Pro Bowler recently said at another Jason Taylor Foundation event he would have a hard time playing for the New England Patriots after so many years hating them

"I don't think I'm a minimum player," he said. "There is a business side to this thing, too. You're not just going to mortgage the farm to go play in a certain position. There is fair compensation.

Interesting, that. Very interesting. But do we really WANT or NEED JT?

I'm not sure we do....... :eek:

makes for a good platoon with a rookie

Who would you want leading your team? A guy who was a leader on a team that didn't win, or a guy who was a leader on the most successful team of the decade?

So your saying JT is totally responsible for not leading the Miami Dolphins to a Super Bowl?

Ok. That's an interesting thought process. I don't even know what to say to that, other than under your thinking there's no way I want him on our team either.

Thing is, the only offer Taylor would probably see from the Pats is a vet-minimum or near that for only one or two years. Taylor has already been on record as saying that he, "doesn't feel he's a minimum kind of guy". Would I take Jason Taylor on this team? Sure I would. But do I think he will be in a Pats uniform next year? Nope.

Given the state of our economy, if the Pats were to land either of the two, the odds significantly favor Taylor over Peppers. The Peppers situation smells more like the Pats in the hunt for Peppers, out of a page from the Boston Red Sox and NY Yankees playbook, is driven by the #1 priority to be in the mix to insure you have the standing to make sure a top flight talent does not land on the doorstep of your chief rivals. Priority #2 is to also be in the mix because that player may end on your doorstep, but only if it is on terms that suit your game plan.

This is ******ed. Great players have languished on bad teams. Is Junior Seau less of a leader because the Chargers never won a Super Bowl?

This is ******ed. Great players have languished on bad teams. Is Junior Seau less of a leader because the Chargers never won a Super Bowl?

LOL Same foundation Rodney emerged from, and where the heck did Bruschi and McGinest develop their leadership skills... Brady was a leader when that idiot HC at Michigan was forcing him to share snaps with the immortal Drew Henson. There's a story I vaguely recall about a game where he either started Henson or pulled Tommy and put Henson in and Brady stood up in front of the team rallied them. Leaders are born and often times forged out of adversity. Miami wasn't the competitor is was earlier in Taylor's career because of the incomparable Dave Wannstadt's coaching or some HOF QB's existence. It was because of Taylor and Thomas leading that defense.

That said, some guys really want to win and others would just prefer to if all things are equal (like the $$$ and proximity to family). I think those two as their careers wind down are that kind of "leader". Just not as single minded about winning a championship before they hang 'em up as Rodney and Seau and Moss were.

All these guys were bad leaders, under the previously mentioned philosophy:

Tony Gonzalez
Dan Marino
Deacon Jones
Jr. Seau
Bruce Smith
Melin Olson
Ken Houston
Dan Fouts
Fran Tarkenton
Jim Kelly
Steve Largent
Cris Carter
Carl Peterson
Thank gawd for a lucky catch and a missed in the grasp call or Michael Strahan would be a poor team leader as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News