PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armando Salguero: Taylor more likely to sign with Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Armando Salguero: Taylor more likely to sign with Pats.

How does the NFL Draft impact the Salary Cap?

Answer: Team salary includes the Rookie Minimum Active Salary as of the day of the draft for all drafted rookies. The salary for drafted rookies will stay at this amount until the player is signed, the team’s rights are relinquished through waivers, or until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season if the player remains unsigned.

I got this off of "askthecommish.com"

My point is there is an alloted amount of money to sign Rookies - It changes every year based on a closely guarded secret of Math and NFL Magic.

If the 2009 Rookie Draft Pool has not been announced, it will soon.

I'll ask Reiss.

My point is there is an alloted amount of money to sign Rookies - It changes every year based on a closely guarded secret of Math and NFL Magic.

I'll ask Reiss.

And Mike will use his magic eye, to find every answer. That guy is not always right, but barely and never far off.

"The rookie pool essentially is a salary cap within the NFL's salary cap." I'm reading. I'm putting it together that they will a cap that they can sign rookies with, but it still has to fit under the normal salary cap.

With the amount of picks we have in the first three rounds, we are in a power position in the draft. We can move up if BB catches a piece of eye candy that he wants to use at OLB, and also fulfill a OT need in the second round. Taylor would be great, but remember the draft. They usually come cheaper that way. ;)

Thing is, the only offer Taylor would probably see from the Pats is a vet-minimum or near that for only one or two years. Taylor has already been on record as saying that he, "doesn't feel he's a minimum kind of guy". Would I take Jason Taylor on this team? Sure I would. But do I think he will be in a Pats uniform next year? Nope.

Ditto on this too. I'm inclined to think the chances for OLB at the start of the season is 35%-Peppers; a 60%-Woods/Crable rotation; or %5-Taylor.

Last edited:
You are correct. The NFL sets a maximum amount that we can pay our rookies. The reality is that it matters little since all rookie contracts must fit under the cap. Trading picks simply reduces the rookie cap.

We are very tight against the cap. We will need to restructure, extend, or cut a couple of top salaried players in order to be under the cap as we start the season. This is not a big deal. There is no need to worry about trading to save cap space. Only the first rounder has a serious cap effect. Each of the seconds has some effect. The thirds are about neutral. After that, anyone that makes the team saves cap space.

However, signing Holt or Peppers or Chad Johnson or Peppers would require a major effort.

CAP NEEDS
1. Net cost of rookies
2. Player 52 and 53 (only 51 are now included in the cap calculations)
3. Practice Squad players
4. Players on IR at the start of the season
5. A reserve to sign replacements during the season

"The rookie pool essentially is a salary cap within the NFL's salary cap." I'm reading. I'm putting it together that they will a cap that they can sign rookies with, but it still has to fit under the normal salary cap.

You are correct. The NFL sets a maximum amount that we can pay our rookies. The reality is that it matters little since all rookie contracts must fit under the cap. Trading picks simply reduces the rookie cap.

We are very tight against the cap. We will need to restructure, extend, or cut a couple of top salaried players in order to be under the cap as we start the season. This is not a big deal. There is no need to worry about trading to save cap space. Only the first rounder has a serious cap effect. Each of the seconds has some effect. The thirds are about neutral. After that, anyone that makes the team saves cap space.

However, signing Holt or Peppers or Chad Johnson or Peppers would require a major effort.

CAP NEEDS
1. Net cost of rookies

Thanks for confirming what we were thinking!

He was a team Captain for years with the Fin's, he won the "Don Shula" Team Leadership Award twice (2002, 2006). What makes you think that he would forget how to be a leader once he got here? Leaders lead, that's what they do. He's proven that he's a leader.

Any argument to the contrary is nuts.
He leads by refusing to work out with his team? Wow, that is some leader. Really showing the youngsters how it is done in Dolphin land.

Anyway, all you guys with Jason Taylor woodies: How do you explain that the Dolphins got so much better after he left? If he is so danged good why are the Fins better off without him?

I've noticed every time some one says, "Anyone who disagrees with my analysis is stupid/nuts/clueless" it is usually the opposite.

He leads by refusing to work out with his team? Wow, that is some leader. Really showing the youngsters how it is done in Dolphin land.

Anyway, all you guys with Jason Taylor woodies: How do you explain that the Dolphins got so much better after he left? If he is so danged good why are the Fins better off without him?

I've noticed every time some one says, "Anyone who disagrees with my analysis is stupid/nuts/clueless" it is usually the opposite.
Wow, Jason sounds like a Sweeney Tom kind of guy! :eek:

Wasn't the Fins D always pretty good over the past few seasons and it was the improvement on offense that made such a big improvement last year? Or did I just make that up?

Wasn't the Fins D always pretty good over the past few seasons and it was the improvement on offense that made such a big improvement last year? Or did I just make that up?
Your fantasy life has always been a key component to Miami's run game.

Your fantasy life has always been a key component to Miami's run game.

So you're saying the Miami run game is like my sex life? Pure fantasy?

So you're saying the Miami run game is like my sex life? Pure fantasy?
Well, Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown are more than fantasy, but they do get used in unconventional ways... :blush:

With the amount of picks we have in the first three rounds, we are in a power position in the draft. We can move up if BB catches a piece of eye candy that he wants to use at OLB, and also fulfill a OT need in the second round. Taylor would be great, but remember the draft. They usually come cheaper that way. ;)

that's totally true; i agree

CAP NEEDS
1. Net cost of rookies

I think the question lies here: If a team is $1 Million against the Cap and the NFL Rookie Pool for that team based on the value of the picks that team has is $4.5 Million - Where does that leave the team?

I asked Riess and his response is below, my question to him was this - If the Patriots have $4 Mill in Cap and spend $3 Mill on a Free Agent that leaves them $1 Mill of Cap Room, how do they sign their Draft Picks"

His Response:

"they'll be fine on the cap. they will have a specific amount allotted to them by the NFL based on how many selections they ultimately make."

Are you calling me stupid/nuts/clueless?

It's possible. :)

I'll ask Reiss.

It doesn't get announced until after the draft (since it's based on the number and "location" of picks each team uses, not the number of draft picks each team has going in).

How does the NFL Draft impact the Salary Cap?

Answer: Team salary includes the Rookie Minimum Active Salary as of the day of the draft for all drafted rookies. The salary for drafted rookies will stay at this amount until the player is signed, the team’s rights are relinquished through waivers, or until the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season if the player remains unsigned.

I got this off of "askthecommish.com"

That's true, but there's also the Top 51 rule, which says that only the Top 51 salaries count towards the salary cap. Right now, the Patriots' 51st salary is $460K, so I believe that would have no actual effect on the cap.

Unless I'm reading Miguel's page wrong, which I very well could be, Mayo cost around $2 Million against the cap last year. With signing bonuses and such. The top 4 picks we have this year are going to be relatively expense, which makes me feel like they aren't going to be able to sign anyone else. I actually think they trade at least one into next year. Maybe even another to trade up?

Less is more this year.

But remember that Mayo was the #10 pick overall. Also, note that each player the Patriots draft who makes the roster has to knock someone who's already on the roster off. So, in the grand scheme of things, a large portion of what the Patriots will pay their rookies is already included in this year's cap. The only "new" money will be anything over ~$500K/rookie, and that only when the player is signed.

I think the question lies here: If a team is $1 Million against the Cap and the NFL Rookie Pool for that team based on the value of the picks that team has is $4.5 Million - Where does that leave the team?

I asked Riess and his response is below, my question to him was this - If the Patriots have $4 Mill in Cap and spend $3 Mill on a Free Agent that leaves them $1 Mill of Cap Room, how do they sign their Draft Picks"

His Response:

"they'll be fine on the cap. they will have a specific amount allotted to them by the NFL based on how many selections they ultimately make."

That allotted amount, whatever it may ultimately be, still needs to fit under the overall cap though right? Someone on here said that was right last night.

So they have $4 Mil in cap space, and the rookie pool is around $4 Mil, that fits perfect. I was looking into past years regarding this, and that is what I gathered. I don't think that they get a specific amount that they can use to go over the overall cap with?

Last edited by a moderator:

Out of curiosity, what makes you think that Taylor would be a leader for the Pats? Not to speak negatively of him or anything--he's obviously a very talented guy--but expecting anyone to come in and fill Vrabel's shoes in that regard overnight is asking a bit much IMO. Personally, I think that any leadership void from Rodney's and Vrabel's departure will be filled within the current roster. With Wilfork, Seymour, Warren, Thomas, Mayo, Hobbs, Sanders, and Meriweather, there are quite a few starters out there on D who have been around the block a few times.

This is an excellent point. First, what gives us any reason to believe he has any laeadership qualities? Being a good player has nothing to do with leadership. Secondly, if he is a 'leader' do we really want a guy who doesn't take the off-season seriously, who Bill Parcells felt his locker room was better off without, a guy who has never won anything, and played on a ton of teams that choked down the stretch, becoming a leader on this team?
He can rush the QB, but what qualifications does he have to be a GOOD leader on a team where all the players have been parts of more successful teams that he ever has?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back