PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are you a Patriots fan or a football fan?

Although always a Pats fan I remember the decades enjoying watching NFL playoff football, wishing if only my Patriots could just squeeze into the playoffs and play in a post season game

Great question.

That's easy; I'm a football fan. I watch a ton of games (way too many).

I'll always be a Patriots fan first. But I love NFL football.

I'm amazed every year when a number of fans on this site say they're not going to watch the Super Bowl or don't really care about it. I think it's too bad that their lives are defined around the happenstance of where they were geographically born (or fan preferences of parents/relatives typically based on where *they* were born) instead of truly appreciating the game of football and the (non-Patriot) players.

The game of football is sufficient to entice me. The ability to root for the Patriots is a bonus.

What would you say you are first? Do you watch a lot of football or do you only really care about the Pats? Does your Sunday revovle around watching football in general or just the Patriots?

I'd say I was a Pats fan first, I still watch other football games (and soccer) obviously, but I wouldn't care if I missed them. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch 90 percent of regular season games that the Pats aren't playing in, but still obviously watch the really big games - playoffs, superbowl, opening night

Great thread for a poll. ;)

That's easy; I'm a football fan. I watch a ton of games (way too many).

I'll always be a Patriots fan first. But I love football.

I'm amazed every year when a number of fans on this site say they're not going to watch the Super Bowl or don't really care about it. I think it's too bad that their lives are defined around the happenstance of where they were geographically born (or fan preferences of parents/relatives typically based on where *they* were born) instead of truly appreciating the game of football and the players.

The game of football is sufficient to entice me. The ability to root for the Patriots is a bonus.
We have a term for "fans" who've "picked" the Pats as "their" team even though they don't have New England blood in them....they're called CAHPETBAGGAHS!!!!!!!!!!!

A football fan who loves the Patriots. It is, however, going to be really really interesting to see how both the team and fans respond to the post Belichick/Brady era because for Patriot fans anything short of a Super Bowel is considered a failure and for some of them even that isn't good enough if they don't win it, and those are pretty much ridiculous expectations for any franchise on a consistent basis. I think this franchise is going to be set up to continue to be successful when this era ends its run but it is going to take some great choices for coach and QB to come anywhere near this kind of success, and I really don't see Josh McDaniel as the answer at coach.

I would add that i think this season is going to be one of the most interesting we have seen in a while around the whole league, and I am going to watch much more of the rest of the league than i have in recent years. The SF/Seattle battle in the NFC West is going to be really fun to follow. How the Saints respond to having Payton back and whether or not the Packers are a dominant team or just a contender, as well as the battle for the NFC East are all going to be really interesting storylines imo. In the AFC the Patriots are obviously going to be intriguing to follow, even though most Patriot fans believe they will continue their run of success their are many who don't believe that and are clearly rooting for their demise, they will once again be very disappointed. Whether or not the Texans can hold off Luck and the Colts will be interesting to follow as will the impending demise of the ravens and Steelers, and whether or not the Bengals can actually capitalize upon that. The AFC West is really one of the only boring divisions as the Broncos are going to have that locked up by week 10 imo, unless the giant forehead finally shows signs of deterioration. Overall it is going to be a great year for football, and although i am not going to wish the summer away i am really looking forward to football once again.

I have changed over the years, mostly due to my status (single with lots of free time vs. married mother of 4). My husband & I (we dated for 5 years before marrying) used to watch every single NFL game that we could. We would be psyched at the end of the season when they started playing on Saturdays too as then we could watch 2 games on Saturday, 2 games on Sunday and one on Monday night (before the Sunday night & Thursday night games started). Now I am happy as long as I get to watch the Pats. Anything else is gravy. I still make time to watch games that I am interested in, but Monday night games have become a yawn for the most part, and I find that I can't be (or don't like to be) glued to the TV for 12+ hours on Sundays. I usually watch the Pats game and the Sunday night game, because I am home anyway. If the Pats are off (or are playing a night game that week) I might take all of Sunday off. I would never do that years ago.

I also don't like Thursday night games, except for on Thanksgiving. I think it's overkill and is diluting the product. It used to be that watching on Sunday was great because you couldn't get that game high at any other time.

This.

I wear the Patriots Laundry, but I respect the accomplishments of other players. I am also happy to watch some other teams. Saints, Cards especially, and I'll sometimes watch the Cowboys because it was my late sister's favorite team. Doesn't mean I LIKE them, but if it's an interesting matchup, I'll watch.

But New England will always be, as The Sisters of Mercy sing: First And Last And Always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujsSRhsiMA

I can relate. My dear late brother, the closest of 3, passed. Man, do I miss him. Way too young. I have a small cowboys shrine in my "man cave" of things I've given him over the years. I do watch cowboys games quite a bit. My other brother and a few friends are cowgirl fans.

I am both. NFL sundays are a treat for me as I get Sunday ticket every year so I can watch as many games as possible. Of course if the Pats game is on, I will flip over to the other games when the Pats game is on a commercial break.

I am a football fan, The pats have been my favorite team since the 60s.

But when it gets cold out I will watch football everyday.

I'm so bad that I HATE the rotten Jets but watch every game they play...sometimes four or five times over and over...makes me a Patrio-football-rat hater-fan....

Football is THE BEST team sport in the world bar none. I watch every game I can (except the really bad matchups). That being said I am a devout Patriots fan. A fan before the Super Bowls, and I will be a fan long after the BB/TB era passes.

Both, but if there were no Patriots I'd still watch just as much football.

Bucky Dent killed the Sox for me. Never again did I waste a summer with those guys.

I used to be a Red Sox fan. I gave up on them when I had to go to work at 6 am after the playoff games between two east coast teams ended at like 2am so Bozos is the West could have them start in prime time. Then I'd be tired and grumpy 'cuz they lost.

That was in 2003. I'm told they won the next year. But the games were still on late.

And 162 games? How excited can you be in May - or even now in July?

Pats fan. First. Foremost.

If the Pats have a bye, I'm doing something outside on Sunday with the kids. I used to watch other games, but ever since the NFL turned on us in 2007, I've found myself still in my circled wagons.

Go Pats! Everyone else? Go **** yourself.

Pats fan. First. Foremost.

If the Pats have a bye, I'm doing something outside on Sunday with the kids. I used to watch other games, but ever since the NFL turned on us in 2007, I've found myself still in my circled wagons.

Go Pats! Everyone else? Go **** yourself.

so...no chance of you even having ONE kind word for the Green Beans?...I can live with that...

I'm a fan of the laundry. You ain't fer us you're a-gin' us!

I know I'll be accused of not being a true fan, though I'll never miss a Pats game if it's remotely possible to see it, including researching out-of-the-way sports bars while traveling and calling ahead to make sure they'll be showing it.

I hate to give up beautiful Sunday afternoons at 1 pm in the fall. So I'll turn down the answering machine and post signs in the driveway (to my wife's ridicule): "Say Nothing! I haven't seen the game and don't know the score." And then watch later when it's dark. Even though it's already played out, I don't know the score, so what's the difference? Then I can skip all the commercials and stop to replay if I need to. Many times I watch with the gang at the scheduled time, but those occasional lone evenings with the DVR, mulling over each play, are wonderful!

I do enjoy the other teams and watch all the interesting playoff and non-playoff games I can squeeze in. I'm a big fan of some of the great young quarterbacks (Russell Wilson in particular) and love to watch their games.

I won't miss a Patriots game, and I'll follow ALL the Patriots news in-between games, but I will sometimes delay viewing games to preserve those beautiful Sunday afternoons. What kind of fan am I?

I see zero problem with that. More important priorities.

That's easy--- Patriots Fan-don't give a crap about other teams ;)

Hi fellow Mainer. I became a Boston Patriots' fan as soon as Billy Sullivan was awarded the final franchise in 1959. I root for no other team.

I was a Braves' fan back in the days they were the Boston Braves. I lost
interest in them after they won a couple of World Series in Milwaukee.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Back