PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we taking the Ravens too lightly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, I know, "we" don't play the game, but from a fan perspective....

absolutely positively not. Greg Cosell sold Tucker on a vanilla offense this am on the morning drive.

Really...if vanilla gets my team to a 13-4 record to date, bring on that vanilla.
We need to beat the team, the Ravens team. 52 guys we need to beat.

As a fan I look at them as a whole.

And BB, well we all know his message....

Considering the Ravens beat the Steelers twice this year, putting up 35 and 23 against a defense far better then the pats, I would say yes, many fans on this board are taking the ravens too lightly.

LOL........those games don't matter now

1.) Yes, many here are taking the Ravens too lightly.

2.) We have some threads with serious discussions about the Ravens this weekend, including one which Jay started.

3.) I'm tired of the "When Brady gets pushed around..." stuff. First, it's not always true and, second, most, if not all, quarterbacks have a tendency to play less effectively when getting hit repeatedly during a game, especially if it starts before the QB can settle in. It's as true of Rodgers and Brees as it is of Brady.

Honestly...i think 09 game isn't relevant at all in this discussion. The only factor from that game might be that the NE players might be looking for revenge and that's it.

Actually, I think it works for both teams. The relevance of the 09 game (for either team) is purely psychological. For Baltimore is gives them a little boost knowing that they can come into our house and beat us in a playoff game. That's a pretty big confidence boost. Doesn't matter the the team right now is different, they just know they can do it because they have done it before.

You are right about NE too though. 09 will give them some extra drive and determination because of the humiliation of that game. For them, there is a redemption motivation that could prove as a big boost. Look at last week, NE had extra motivation because of the last 2 years of being 1 and done. We all saw in the way they prepared and more importantly in the ferocity that they played the game with.

Beyond the psychological aspect, I don't think the 09 game is remotely relavent at this point.

As for the original question...... from a fan perspective, it's not really relevant. I actually think we are going to win this game comfortably. Does that mean I'm taking them lightly? Or just that I am a more confident fan? Who knows, and really..... who cares.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple...when we got beat by the Ravens in 2009 we got beat because of the early turnovers. You don't turn the ball over, you're going to win the game 9 times out of 10. It's pretty simple.

If we don't turn it over, and the Ravens fail to pressure Brady like they failed with Yates, then it could be a long day for them.

I'm personally expecting a little different philosophy.... bringing guys up in the box, not giving away their coverages and who will drop back, and disguising their blitzes. Dropping guys back into coverage isn't going to work if thy don't get any pressure. Yates was staring down his receivers, Brady doesn't.

This could be a tough game, but I think it's going to come down to Flacco...as I think we can shut down Rice...we keep talking about the '09 game but people seem to forget that we have played the Ravens since then and completely limited Rice in what he was able to do. Shut down Rice and I'm pretty confident we'll win.

If we don't we're going to lose, it's as simple as that. I see a lot of confidence, and I think Pats fans should be, but respect your opponent definitely.

Last edited:
Without Welker in 2009, winning was virtually impossible. The whole offense went through him and the Ravens were very smart to force the issue.

Dilfer had an interesting observation the other day. He did research and concluded the big, strong, physical teams had the best shot to win. The Patriots are the big strong physical team. The Ravens have the pieholes.

"Lightly" is most likely the feel based on the deviation this site takes to the same, lame conventional wisdom that gets out from the standard mediot talking points.

I'm not taking Baltimore too lightly. I think they will score 17-24 points.

What will determine the win is if the get some combination of pressure on Brady and turnovers. Or not.

No pressure on Brady and no turnovers then NE is going to score 35+. If they get pressure and disrupt our passing game and get some turnovers our defense will be kept on the field too much like the Pittsburgh game.

Baltimore's offense can't match our offense point for point. Our defense has its issues but they aren't that bad in points allowed as we all know. If our offense wins the day against Baltimore's defense it won't be close.

Yeah I also think they'll score 17-24 points since that's right in line with the rest of the season to date taking away the last game and the Chiefs game. I really don't see too many people taking the Ravens lightly to be honest, I see some confidence that if we play our game we will win but no one is saying we absolutely will crush this team. That's a really good team in Baltimore and this is going to be a hard game.

Certainly some of the fans here think this game will be a blowout, but I don't see that as the majority. These two teams have close games, and I don't see much in either team that suggests this game will be different. They are separated by one loss, so records don't suggest that iether. It is a great offense against a great defense. The Ravens game against the Niners proved they can play well against a team on the road, despite their road record this year, so it is not like away games are their kryptonite.

Should be a great game. I hope the Pats win the game, but anyone saying that outcome is certain hasn't closely watched both teams play this year.

1.) Yes, many here are taking the Ravens too lightly.

2.) We have some threads with serious discussions about the Ravens this weekend, including one which Jay started.

3.) I'm tired of the "When Brady gets pushed around..." stuff. First, it's not always true and, second, most, if not all, quarterbacks have a tendency to play less effectively when getting hit repeatedly during a game, especially if it starts before the QB can settle in. It's as true of Rodgers and Brees as it is of Brady.

All true. This year seems a little different though. In the last few years when Brady started getting pushed around I would get that sinking feeling that we were going to lose. This year the team, including Brady, has been able to fight through it until they find a groove (for the most part; Giants & Steelers were problems, but we still only lost those games by one score).

Most people are not taking the Ravens lightly. We all remember that 2009 game. If Ray Rice gets going like that again, and their D gets to Brady early and rattles him good, we are probably toast. We have a lot more to counter it this time around, though. We will have Welker at his best; we will have Gronk & Hernandez. We have perfected the hurry-up or up-tempo offense, which I believe the Pats will use early to try to tire out that "old" Ravens D. Our D played well against the Broncos, who are a good running team. I am confident in the Pats but as the game gets closer I am getting more nervous. I don't think we'll lose, but I would LOVE to see the Pats come out and absolutely dominate the game. Just don't know if that is gonna happen.

Certainly some of the fans here think this game will be a blowout, but I don't see that as the majority. These two teams have close games, and I don't see much in either team that suggests this game will be different. They are separated by one loss, so records don't suggest that iether. It is a great offense against a great defense. The Ravens game against the Niners proved they can play well against a team on the road, despite their road record this year, so it is not like away games are their kryptonite.

Should be a great game. I hope the Pats win the game, but anyone saying that outcome is certain hasn't closely watched both teams play this year.

They played the Niners at home. Their only impressive road win is Pittsburgh unless you want to count Cincinnati. That means absolutely nothing come Sunday though.

Without Welker in 2009, winning was virtually impossible. The whole offense went through him and the Ravens were very smart to force the issue.

Dilfer had an interesting observation the other day. He did research and concluded the big, strong, physical teams had the best shot to win. The Patriots are the big strong physical team. The Ravens have the pieholes.

"Lightly" is most likely the feel based on the deviation this site takes to the same, lame conventional wisdom that gets out from the standard mediot talking points.

They didn't lose because of Welker they lost because they couldn't stop the run.

This game is going to be a one possession game, either way. Conference Championship games since 2004 have been close every season, and most of them have been one possession games. Turnovers tell the story almost every time. Even though Brady has only lost to Baltimore once (reg season and playoffs), they always seem to pick him off at least once and Brady's never had an "eye popping" statistical game against their defense. One constant this season has been that if Brady doesn't put up big numbers, the Patriots struggle.
I'm worried about Baltimore being able to sustain long drives, converting third downs all over the place, and then the Patriots coming out of the gate slowly and finding themselves behind.
Early in the week, and especially after watching the Houston/Baltimore game, I was very confident in the Patriots. Arian Foster almost single handedly kept that game close, and the Patriots won't be running for 130 yards on Baltimore.
With Ridley's fumble last week, we'll be seeing heavy doses of BJGE and his one and two yard runs.
Now, after looking into the statistics and the history between the two teams I'm starting to think the team with the better defense is going to win on Sunday. Not saying the team with the better defense in the prior 17 games, but the team who's D plays the best on Sunday.
It's time for Wilfork, Mayo, and the guys upfront to win a game for the Patriots. Last week's defensive performance was encouraging, but we must admit it was against a high school/college offensive game plan. I don't think Flacco's going to be running the option on third and 8.
GO PATS

All I care about is whether the players take them lightly or not and I would assume they will not. This is the AFCCG and the Ravens were the #2 seed in the AFC. I expect an A game from the Pats this weekend.

As for the fans, who really cares how they take the Ravens? A lot of people were saying the same thing about the Broncos last week and the players came out and put on a clinic.

If the Ravens win especially if it is a blow out, a lot of people on this board will look foolish. But I don't think they will win because anyone especially the Patriots took them too lightly.

I sure as hell am not taking them lightly. I didn't take the Broncos lightly either. Playoff games are do or die and you know you'll be getting the other team's best shot, which elevates their level of play no matter who they are. The Ravens are more than capable of beating New England; I just pray the Pats don't turn the ball over which would make it a struggle.

The Ravens are nasty. Straight out nasty. Veteran tough football team. Bring it or get beat. Period!

I for one an not.

I am doing the same diligent preperations for this game I do for every playoff game.

* Making sure to have amble beer in the fridge.
* Enough snack food.
* Ample hangover remidies.

In fact, yesterday my girlfriend wanted to discuss what food to bring to the superbowl party we are going to and I told her in no uncertain terms that I am not going to look past championship weekend and that my focus is totally on this weekends games. She thinks I am nuts.

I for one an not.

I am doing the same diligent preperations for this game I do for every playoff game.

* Making sure to have amble beer in the fridge.
* Enough snack food.
* Ample hangover remidies.

In fact, yesterday my girlfriend wanted to discuss what food to bring to the superbowl party we are going to and I told her in no uncertain terms that I am not going to look past championship weekend and that my focus is totally on this weekends games. She thinks I am nuts.

Aren't you attending the party regardless? :confused:

I cannot stress this enough...

It doesn't matter what 'we' are doing.

BTW, I am not taking them too lightly, but I am fairly confident the Pats will win. I certainly wouldn't be shocked if the Pats lose and even lose big, but I still like the match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes