PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are We in for a Rough Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone thought I was serious with that post, then you need to get out a little more. I forgot majority of the users on here are probably pushing 40+ years old.

I can tell you first hand that age has nothing to do with sense of humor or lack thereof, especially on this forum.

:snob:

A revis signing easily puts the pats above Denver. Some people have 0 concept of matchups and why some teams have success over others, probably the same people that thought Denver would beat Seattle. Denver has done nothing but slightly downgrade on the offensive side of the ball and upgraded at the safety and corner positions. I don't think Ware is a significant upgrade over what they got from Phillips.

Long story short: The Patriots acquiring the best corner in football along with getting Gronk, Mayo and company back will put them ahead of a Denver team that was not much better than them to begin with.

well.......revis will take care of demarius thomas......and with decker and moreno gone, the broncos will be lucky to score any points at all

If anyone thought I was serious with that post, then you need to get out a little more. I forgot majority of the users on here are probably pushing 40+ years old.

Nice try! You were 100% serious and dont deny it. But nice try backpedaling now that everyone thinks you are an idiot.

You thought everyone was going to get behind you and crap on the FO more. Nope!

It is too bad this board has to suffer all of these whiny, spoiled fans who have probably only been following the Patriots since 2000

A revis signing easily puts the pats above Denver. Some people have 0 concept of matchups and why some teams have success over others, probably the same people that thought Denver would beat Seattle. Denver has done nothing but slightly downgrade on the offensive side of the ball and upgraded at the safety and corner positions. I don't think Ware is a significant upgrade over what they got from Phillips.

Long story short: The Patriots acquiring the best corner in football along with getting Gronk, Mayo and company back will put them ahead of a Denver team that was not much better than them to begin with.

I was pretty certain Denver would lose to Seattle actually. And the signing of Revis alone will not put the Pats over Denver. You can make that claim as many times as you want but it will still not be true.

In the last 3 years, Gronk has been injured for the SB and 2 AFCCGs. Excuse me if I am a little hesitant about counting on Gronk to help us come playoff time.

You are also forgetting that Denver is getting Von Miller, Vickerson, Harris jr, etc back from injury as well.

I'm sorry. Am I the only one who has noticed that Denver has mortgaged their future, added about $30MM apv to their cap and STILL don't have a starting LT, LG, C, and RG. :eek: Last season their OL was the BEST pass protection OL in the league. Its gone. They don't have any replacements, and very little to pay for replacements.

It was only 3 years ago when the Pats were declared winners of the first days of FA, because we signed Haynesworth and Ocho. (both of whom cost less than what Denver is paying TJ Ward...combined, btw) But we made it to the Superbowl that year because we signed Andre Carter and Mark something in freakin July to deals no one cared about OR took notice.

Its OK to question what we've done or not done these first couple of days of FA. But this panic over the lack of action by the Pats or concern for the success of the team at THIS stage of the off season is simply ludicrous. There are still some very good players out there who could make this team much better and within budget. Many options still remain, as well as the draft.

Too many fans aren't considering that we have THREE multiple time all pros returning (4 if you count Vince) We have 6 rookies who contributed greatly to getting to the Final Four who are looking to make the big 2nd year leap forward. As well as several 3rd and 4th year players ready to step into leadership roles.

The Pats have a solid corps of good players and only need to upgrade a few positions and add the kind of depth that the Broncos will only dream about. When are we going to learn its all about the 53 and NOT about the 22. If there is any fan base in the league that should know this, its us. Its what we've seen for the last 13 years. It just boggles the mind that so many of us turn to jelly by the first day's signings of a rival. Are we Jet fans who think winning the "off season" is the most important goal? God I hope not. :rolleyes:

Every year its the same thing. A bunch of screaming girls complaining the Pats dont do enough day one of FA. These people have no lives and exist though their football team's successes and failures.

If the Pats sign Revis, how long will it be until the OP starts a thread entitled "Is this the best Patriots offseason ever?"?

If we get Revis, re-sign Edelman and a couple of mid-FAs with a strong draft we'll compete with the Broncos again

This team has absolutely pampered and coddled me with success during the BB era. It's hard to even remember missing the playoffs. However, as I look at this team:

Talib - Gone
Spikes - Gone
Edelperson - Gone?
Blount - Gone??
Wilfork - Gone?/Injured and Will Impact Games?
Gronk - Injured and Will Impact Games?
Amendola - Practically needs a signature series crash cart
Rookie WRs - Wildly inconsistent and possibly not starting quality
Mayo - Injured and Will Impact Games?

We thought we needed another CB before losing Talib, so now we basically need 2. For all the people saying Spikes was a liability in coverage, we're significantly weaker against the run now and need to replace the production somehow. Our WR corps is extremely deficient and may get worse if Edelman is gone. We need another TE, and I'd even consider 2 given we may never have a fully functional Gronk for a full season. If Blount goes, I'm not sure Riddler or Vereen are enough as one loves to fumble and another has health issues also...

I'm really having trouble envisioning anything but a year significantly tougher than last year. Maybe our toughest ever for Brady-led teams. Even with TFB, this doesn't look like a playoff team to me right now.

Am I being a downer and need more kool-aid or are y'all as worried as I am? I understand it's early in FA, but there's also very few moves to make in FA that will fill our needs. And we're not usually the bombshell trade guys. Drafting rookies won't result in replaced/improved production that first season for the most part by my line of thinking either.

What says y'all?

The Patriots had essentially a brand new set of receivers, lost their pro-bowl caliber TE due to a murder, lost 8 pro-bowl caliber players to injury, at one point were starting *5* rookies on defense, had Bucs castoff LeGarrette Blount as their #1 RB by season's end, and still went 12-4 and reached the AFCCG.

The answer is: Unless Brady goes down with injury, no, the Patriots are not going to be bad. They'll win a minimum of 11 games, win the AFC East, and have a very good chance to be playing in the AFCCG again. From there, who knows?

I just went outside and bumped my head with the sky- It's Falling.

I was pretty certain Denver would lose to Seattle actually. And the signing of Revis alone will not put the Pats over Denver. You can make that claim as many times as you want but it will still not be true.

In the last 3 years, Gronk has been injured for the SB and 2 AFCCGs. Excuse me if I am a little hesitant about counting on Gronk to help us come playoff time.

You are also forgetting that Denver is getting Von Miller, Vickerson, Harris jr, etc back from injury as well.

How many times has Brady lost playing with Gronk against these Broncos teams? We lost a two possession game in Denver with no Talib or Gronk and the young receivers were a total non factor due to either injury or lack of acclimation. We essentially split with them in what equated to a transition year. Denver is not eh juggernaut you're making them out to be. They can out man almost every team in football but they aren't going to out scheme you. Give BB Revis and this defense doesn't go back to being what the Talib defense was but rather much more. The speed upgrades we should be getting with a new safety and linebacker depth puts our defense into a different stratosphere. Offensively another offseason for Dobson and another TE accompanied with an offensive line shift makes us the AFC favorites again.

This team has absolutely pampered and coddled me with success during the BB era. It's hard to even remember missing the playoffs. However, as I look at this team:

Talib - Gone
Spikes - Gone
Edelperson - Gone?
Blount - Gone??
Wilfork - Gone?/Injured and Will Impact Games?
Gronk - Injured and Will Impact Games?
Amendola - Practically needs a signature series crash cart
Rookie WRs - Wildly inconsistent and possibly not starting quality
Mayo - Injured and Will Impact Games?

We thought we needed another CB before losing Talib, so now we basically need 2. For all the people saying Spikes was a liability in coverage, we're significantly weaker against the run now and need to replace the production somehow. Our WR corps is extremely deficient and may get worse if Edelman is gone. We need another TE, and I'd even consider 2 given we may never have a fully functional Gronk for a full season. If Blount goes, I'm not sure Riddler or Vereen are enough as one loves to fumble and another has health issues also...

I'm really having trouble envisioning anything but a year significantly tougher than last year. Maybe our toughest ever for Brady-led teams. Even with TFB, this doesn't look like a playoff team to me right now.

Am I being a downer and need more kool-aid or are y'all as worried as I am? I understand it's early in FA, but there's also very few moves to make in FA that will fill our needs. And we're not usually the bombshell trade guys. Drafting rookies won't result in replaced/improved production that first season for the most part by my line of thinking either.

What says y'all?
I say there's six months between now and the new season kicking off. Too much yet to happen.

Are you applying the same standard to Talib and Ware for Denver?

Are you applying the same standard to Talib and Ware for Denver?

Sure, but Denver has a lot more depth on defense than we do. Talib getting injured would hurt them, but they still have a very talented CB in Harris Jr. They also have a better pass rush.

Ware has missed 3 games in his entire career. Not sure how that is equivalent to Gronk constantly missing games.

Sure, but Denver has a lot more depth on defense than we do. Talib getting injured would hurt them, but they still have a very talented CB in Harris Jr. They also have a better pass rush.

Ware has missed 3 games in his entire career. Not sure how that is equivalent to Gronk constantly missing games.

How is having two NFL-caliber cornerbacks "great depth"? Right now they have Talib, Harris, and some JAGs. if Talib goes down, they won't be able to cover #2 receivers. Also, Harris tore his ACL just a few months ago. Brutal timing, basically erases his offseason. Still think a move is coming for them at CB.

Yes, their pass rush is better. Ware is relevant because he was ineffective due to injury for large portions of 2013.

How is having two NFL-caliber cornerbacks "great depth"? Right now they have Talib, Harris, and some JAGs. if Talib goes down, they won't be able to cover #2 receivers. Also, Harris tore his ACL just a few months ago. Brutal timing, basically erases his offseason. Still think a move is coming for them at CB.

Yes, their pass rush is better. Ware is relevant because he was ineffective due to injury for large portions of 2013.

I didn't say "great depth." I said more depth than we do.

I didn't say "great depth." I said more depth than we do.

Even that's not true. Assuming that another corner is added to replace Talib, the Pats' fourth CB will be better than the Broncos' third.

I'm sorry. Am I the only one who has noticed that Denver has mortgaged their future, added about $30MM apv to their cap and STILL don't have a starting LT, LG, C, and RG. :eek: Last season their OL was the BEST pass protection OL in the league. Its gone. They don't have any replacements, and very little to pay for replacements.

One more time Ken

Clady is the LT
He is elite and back from IR

Look, Denver should be tremendous next year, let's not kid ourselves. They are clearly the team to beat in the AFC.

But New England will be really good too, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the two face off in the AFCCG once again.

And if NE is healthy, I still like their chances. Even with their current roster.

I'm a few more stupid Belichick decisions (or lack thereof) away from not watching a single game next season

(ex. drafting a no-name projected UDFA in the 2nd-4th round)

I am going out on a limb and assume you are being sarcastic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes