PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we a wagon or do we just have a good record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Me? I don't think we're a wagon (or at least not yet). I just think we have a good record.

You?

The offense certainly is. Time will tell on the defensive side of the ball. They haven't faced many good offenses, with good QB's, so it's really hard to judge. Much like past BB defenses they've outperformed what you'd expect based on the sheer yardage they've given up, but unlike past years their RZ and 3rd down defense aren't exactly stout.

How much does that improve in the second half? I think the Collins move speaks to some of the frustrations Belichick has with this defense, and I expect them to clean things up in the second half. Is this team as good as the 07 squad? Probably not, but then that was probably the best team ever. Is this the best team in football? I tend to think so, as long as the defense cleans their act up a bit...so if that qualifies as 'a wagon' then yea :)

We are a wagon in the context of the league right now but not historically compare to salary cap teams.

When i think salary cap wagons i think

94 SF
96/97 Packers
97/98 Broncos
03/04/07 Patriots
13/14 Seahawks
14 Patriots

Those teams were legit wagons and in only 2 years did i think we had a super bowl with 2 legit wagon teams and both were great.

Me? I don't think we're a wagon (or at least not yet). I just think we have a good record.

You?
Have you watched any football outside of NE this year? It's littered with bad teams, and the good teams aren't even that scary this year. Pats are the best looking team right now. Wagon? They're a goddang rocket ship.

I can infer what you mean by wagon, but I have never heard it used in this context.

So, I am going to go with we're NOT a wagon.

Really? Never heard it before? That's odd. Wagon means unstoppable. Like the '07 Pats. Jordan's Bulls.

As for this team, nope not a wagon. The D needs to show some emotion and play with more heart for,it to be a wagon.

Really? Never heard it before? That's odd. Wagon means unstoppable. Like the '07 Pats. Jordan's Bulls.

As for this team, nope not a wagon. The D needs to show some emotion and play with more heart for,it to be a wagon.

Yeah, I even checked onelook & urbandictionary before posting.

I have many fond memories of watching the 90's bulls.

We are not there yet.

Also just for fun i noticed I named 11 wagon teams in the salary cap era (the last 22 years) Sounds like a top 10 list chance to me(plus 1)! I can't turn that down

#11 03 Patriots - The Defense was legit but the offense even though clutch left something to be desired IMO. Lack of a running game knocks it down in a tough competition of titan teams and Brady improved next year too.

#10 94 49ers - I was not a big fan of the D though the O was prolific but I don't value the 1 trick wagons as much.

#9 97 Packers

#8 96 Packers - This year they were just a hair better i think and their D and STs was just sick honestly but not the best competition in the league.

#7 14 Seahawks

#6 98 Broncos

#5 97 Broncos - Declining QB play made 97 > 98 and Sharpe was particularly good this year. Also one of the great OLs whether you think they were dirty or not and a very good D.

#4 13 Seahawks - 13 was better than 14 cause they had better weapons. Tate/Harvin/Baldwin though they didn't get great numbers when healthy were highly productive on a run first team which had a beastly defense. Though the only game Harvin will be remembered for is the Superbowl it still stands out. They just ran a pretty impressive but soft Denver team off the field.

#3 07 Pats - Some would call this the best team which injuries stopped. That is partially true but it is also true they had certain play style weaknesses and the D was not amazing but good. On offense they were a bit over reliant on Moss and if you could get pressure before he gets down field it really limited them.

#2 14 Pats - This team unlike 07 still did not have a good run game but had a much more balance offensive attack with the ability to carve you up over the top or underneath and showed the superiority of such a style.

#1 04 Pats - Putting the Pats in the top 3 is maybe not fair... frankly I questioned putting 07 a little lower but thought if not for injuries they probably would have won easily (but they are the only team i had as a wagon not knocked off by another wagon team. 04 IMO was nearly a perefect team. QB play, running game, STs and a shut down D. This D was so good they lost one of the top 3 CBs in the game at the time and still finished #2 in PPG. Also their weapons were pretty good though no 1 elite guy. Bestteam of the salary cap era imo.

Last edited:
Agreed. The Pats offense is a wagon...

1294773147_amish-wagon-surfing.gif

...the defense is a little behind. ;)

Last edited:
Its around this time when the good teams start to rise to the top. I do think we are the best team in the NFL this year up to this point. This year if they stay healthy on offense I honestly think it would be enough to win the Super Bowl. But getting better on D wouldn't hurt the pats chances. Other teams may start to play better and get hot at the end.. like the ****ing 9-7 Giants did in 07... 11

I like the word "Juggernaut" better.

The origin of that word is great:

"a literal or metaphorical forceregarded as mercilessly destructive and unstoppable. This usage originated in the mid-nineteenth century as an allegorical reference to the Hindu temple cars of Jagannath Templein Puri, which apocryphally were reputed to crush devotees under their wheels."

And nobody circles the wagons like the buffalo bills.

Wagon doesn't seem to work for me

I never heard it either. I had no idea of what you were referring to, "Bandwagon" maybe?

How does a wagon equate to unstoppable? A wagon to me is a clumsy, slow, primitive method of transporting something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe