PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone still want to trade Chandler Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said, it all depends.

If someone offers us a first round pick I would consider trading him. In my opinion Hightower and Collins have higher priority anyway and that first round pick could be used to get either another highly talented edge rusher on a rookie contract or -- more likely -- turned into multiple additional chess pieces.

In a world without a salary cap there is no question you keep Chandler Jones. But the reality is a bit more complex..
Yeah I'd definitely say he's #3 for us behind Hightower and Collins, I'm a guy who would rather risk losing him for nothing if we aren't getting great value. Titles are hard to win (obviously) I'm okay if BB hangs onto him if we aren't getting a first and lose him in FA.

The thread poses a straw person as I don't remember Trade Jones threads but I do remember ranking re-signing priorities as Collins, Hightower, the Jones. Jones is playing his best ever, as if in a contract year.

As I mentioned in the game thread, nobody wants to lose Jones, but we definitely don't want to lose Hightower or Collins either.

The hard truth is that it's a lot harder to develop interior linebackers than it is to develop outside rushers, so Hightower and Collins are our priority to resign. We probably won't have enough left over to sign Jones to an extension.
I call BS on this. Seattle has Sherman, Wagner, and Thomas all signed to huge contracts.

I call BS on this. Seattle has Sherman, Wagner, and Thomas all signed to huge contracts.

And a steep dropoff in depth after all of them.

Also, putting that much money in all three of them resulted in the Chancellor mess because he felt he had taken "one for the team" by signing an undervalued extension in '13 only to see those three land big bucks.

Furthermore, BB prefers to have good depth over sinking too much money in any one position because of the risk of injury, and therfore has a certain value for each position beyond which he will not budge.

That's how he has always operated.

As I mentioned in the game thread, nobody wants to lose Jones, but we definitely don't want to lose Hightower or Collins either.

The hard truth is that it's a lot harder to develop interior linebackers than it is to develop outside rushers, so Hightower and Collins are our priority to resign. We probably won't have enough left over to sign Jones to an extension.
Marry him to a rich wife and make him take a pay cut.

And a steep dropoff in depth after all of them.

Also, putting that much money in all three of them resulted in the Chancellor mess because he felt he had taken "one for the team" by signing an undervalued extension in '13 only to see those three land big bucks.

Furthermore, BB prefers to have good depth over sinking too much money in any one position because of the risk of injury, and therfore has a certain value for each position beyond which he will not budge.

That's how he has always operated.
Still call BS, Bill signed Wilfork and Mankins to market setting contacts at their positions.

I would for a true shutdown corner.

We all know that Chandler Jones is a skilled pass rusher, but his ability to drop back in zone coverage, cover screens show his intelligence and his transform into an excellent player. Great job by the coaching staff

I think if Some Team next May offers BB a pick from 10 to 15 in the Draft he might bite. Lets be honest Chandler Jones is easier to Replace and his replacement might be on our Roster right now. Geno Grissom and Trey Flowers that's if they want to go that route. Pure DE's like Chandler Jones can be replaced all-around players like Hightower and Collins are Top Ten Players these days.

We all know that Chandler Jones is a skilled pass rusher, but his ability to drop back in zone coverage, cover screens show his intelligence and his transform into an excellent player. Great job by the coaching staff

I wish he had Niko's or Vrabel's hands when he drops back.

I think if Some Team next May offers BB a pick from 10 to 15 in the Draft he might bite. Lets be honest Chandler Jones is easier to Replace and his replacement might be on our Roster right now. Geno Grissom and Trey Flowers that's if they want to go that route. Pure DE's like Chandler Jones can be replaced all-around players like Hightower and Collins are Top Ten Players these days.

Welcome to the 2015 Patriots season!
You're aware that Roger Goodell has decreed that IF the Pats trade for a 1st round pick it's null & void.

Not to pick on you specifically, but I keep seeing how "easy" it is to replace a pass rusher. For how many years have us fans been clamoring for a pass rusher, and now we have 1-3 legitimate ones. Obviously the finances are going to be a major factor in whether he resigns but I think it's a big overstatement to say that pass rushers are easy to find. Remember Jones was a mid 1st round pick and at this rate the patriots won't have many of those in the year future.

Have yourself a look at this page:

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2015 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

And please explain to me how we're going to sign all three (Hightower, Collins, and Jones) to market-setting contracts and still come in under the cap.
We can definitely afford to pay them all big deals. We are not in a bad cap situation next year as of now, and that's when Jones and Hightower already have pretty big contracts, plus a contract for Mayo that will be definitely not be there next year.

Not to pick on you specifically, but I keep seeing how "easy" it is to replace a pass rusher. For how many years have us fans been clamoring for a pass rusher, and now we have 1-3 legitimate ones. Obviously the finances are going to be a major factor in whether he resigns but I think it's a big overstatement to say that pass rushers are easy to find. Remember Jones was a mid 1st round pick and at this rate the patriots won't have many of those in the year future.

Its a message board bro just throwing opinions out there its proven most times Teams just cannot keep all their Good Players in the Salary Cap era. BB knows best and we will have to accept his decision whether we like it or not. Chandler Jones have really stepped his game up this year and that Great for the N.E. Patriots.

Did anyone want to trade him? Don't recall seeing that.
More than a few people said he was over-rated, didn't show up for big games, and should be traded..Especially with the additions of Grissom, Flowers and Johnson..

We can definitely afford to pay them all big deals. We are not in a bad cap situation next year as of now, and that's when Jones and Hightower already have pretty big contracts, plus a contract for Mayo that will be definitely not be there next year.

Mayo has a cap hit of $4m if cut or traded.. If Jones is traded before June 2, 2016, his cap hit is zero.

Hopefully Mayo allows his contract to be restructured, but there's not much depth beyond him.

Have yourself a look at this page:

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2015 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

And please explain to me how we're going to sign all three (Hightower, Collins, and Jones) to market-setting contracts and still come in under the cap.

the 2015 and 2016 salary caps are irrelevant because Jones is still under contract. we only have $94m committed in 2017 and that includes $6m for Danny Amendola. Even if the cap stayed flat for the next two years, that gives us nearly $60m wiggle room to get Jones, Hightower and Collins signed along with any other FAs we sign.

Edelman will be up soon, won't he? He'll command some coin and needs to be re-signed. And when was Gronk extension to? 2017? Another must re-sign (or more likely extend) which will cost a ton.

But yeah other than that on O I don't see any guys breaking the bank. They proved they can plug anyone in on OL and even pick up street WRs like Keshawn Martin and be productive.

Gronk is signed through 2019 and Edelman through 2017. 10 seconds to look it up on Miguel's page..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference