PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone still want to trade Chandler Jones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if Some Team next May offers BB a pick from 10 to 15 in the Draft he might bite. Lets be honest Chandler Jones is easier to Replace and his replacement might be on our Roster right now. Geno Grissom and Trey Flowers that's if they want to go that route. Pure DE's like Chandler Jones can be replaced all-around players like Hightower and Collins are Top Ten Players these days.

a 10-15 pick actually becomes a #32 pick because we lose the higher pick. We'd be better off going for a high second rounder and additional picks in later years. But note that I'm not advocating trading him.

More than a few people said he was over-rated, didn't show up for big games, and should be traded..Especially with the additions of Grissom, Flowers and Johnson..
OK. Silly thought, obviously. Maybe I blocked it out.

You trade players like Jones if you aren't going to be around in January, you don't trade them when you are expecting to go deep into the playoffs. When all is said and done it's Lombardi's that matter, not getting some value back.

the 2015 and 2016 salary caps are irrelevant because Jones is still under contract. we only have $94m committed in 2017 and that includes $6m for Danny Amendola. Even if the cap stayed flat for the next two years, that gives us nearly $60m wiggle room to get Jones, Hightower and Collins signed along with any other FAs we sign.

Still have to push a good bit of that wiggle room for upcoming contracts to be renewed. There is also the problem of Solder or his replacement. LT always commands a good chunk. Vollmer's contract expires after 2016 as well.

a 10-15 pick actually becomes a #32 pick because we lose the higher pick. We'd be better off going for a high second rounder and additional picks in later years. But note that I'm not advocating trading him.

Good to know Roger made sure didn't he.:mad:

It would take a salary cap MIRACLE for us to keep Collins, Hightower and Jones past 2016... Pats might be able to pull it off, but I doubt it

Last edited:
Mayo has a cap hit of $4m if cut or traded.. If Jones is traded before June 2, 2016, his cap hit is zero.

Hopefully Mayo allows his contract to be restructured, but there's not much depth beyond him.

Mayo's $4.4M is only guaranteed for injury. So if the Pats were to cut him, the cap hit would be $3.4M. Which is nearly $7.6M in savings..

Last edited:
Mayo has a cap hit of $4m if cut or traded.. If Jones is traded before June 2, 2016, his cap hit is zero.

Hopefully Mayo allows his contract to be restructured, but there's not much depth beyond him.
Mayo will not have that contract. We save $5.4M by letting him go, that's what's important, not the dead cap. There's not much depth behind him because he is the depth. He's not even the third linebacker. He's the fourth.

I don't see why we should trade Jones. He is definitely worth the $7.8M that he will get next year.

I was open to trading Jones. Honestly I still am depending on what we get back. There are few guys I am not open to trading and I believe no one is ever really 100% off the table.

If you trade Jones and get a young cheap CB that is top 10 then I would certainly consider it.

Jones right now is playing like a top 10 DE. Give me a top 10 CB for equal price in salary.

I think it would be an overall gain for your D. I don't think any team makes that trade though.

Still have to push a good bit of that wiggle room for upcoming contracts to be renewed. There is also the problem of Solder or his replacement. LT always commands a good chunk. Vollmer's contract expires after 2016 as well.

Yup. Solder and Brady will need to be considered post 2017. As for Vollmer, I'm sure we'd have found a replacement by then. It should also be noted that Mayo was included in that $94m I quoted so there's even more space. Mayo and Amendola alone count as $18.5m against the 2017 cap. That alone probably pays for two of the three which leaves approx $50m to pay for the third and any other FAs. With the young depth we have on the roster, I don't think it'll be a problem getting the big three under the cap in 2017.

I wonder if Roger dodger even made it so we couldnt get a better 2017 fourth rounder lol.

Nink,Mayo rssteucture greatly or is gone.
Harmon more than likely goes for a starting postion.
We will have to decide between him and Chung.
Ryan is playing like a quality number 2 that throws a wrench into my equation in the secondary.
Bostic is here to replace Mayo for depth.
Other then that a ton of youth and we have turned the late round picks to gold.
The lines offensively and defensively are stacked.
Mcdaniels should get a Assistant head coach position.
Patricia should get a bump in pay.
And we will roll the next 5 seasons.

As I mentioned in the game thread, nobody wants to lose Jones, but we definitely don't want to lose Hightower or Collins either.

The hard truth is that it's a lot harder to develop interior linebackers than it is to develop outside rushers, so Hightower and Collins are our priority to resign. We probably won't have enough left over to sign Jones to an extension.

Looking at deals like Justin Houston and the upcoming Von Miller one, it's fair to say signing an edge rusher like Jones is going to be extremely expensive. The thing is, though Jones is certainly playing like a monster, there are many guys around the league who are adequate and put up reasonable production (look at the bargain we just got with Sheard and other guys in the past like Andre Collins). This defense would need an entirely new identity without Collins or Hightower, who are extremely rare and unique to the team's success. In addition, they may not need to pay as much since Collins and Hightower may only be sought aggressively by a handful of teams whereas every team is always interested in a sack beast on the edge like Jones. He fits in every scheme and could play 3-4 OLB as well.

I agree 100% with your thoughts.

Grissom Johnson and Flowers could prove over the next 2 seasons to be a adequete replacement.
Maybe we franchise him then trade him for a top pick.
Which Belichick would turn to 8 picks over 2 years and make Goodell cry.

Nink,Mayo rssteucture greatly or is gone.
Harmon more than likely goes for a starting postion.
We will have to decide between him and Chung.
Ryan is playing like a quality number 2 that throws a wrench into my equation in the secondary.
Bostic is here to replace Mayo for depth.
Other then that a ton of youth and we have turned the late round picks to gold.
The lines offensively and defensively are stacked.
Mcdaniels should get a Assistant head coach position.
Patricia should get a bump in pay.
And we will roll the next 5 seasons.

I don't think Nink needs to restructure. 4.75M is fine for him considering how he has played this year. Mayo is almost surely gone though. I don't see how any restructure can work.

Harmon will be very hard to keep. Hope Richards steps up. Right now if we can manage to swing it so it is just between Harmon and Chung I keep Harmon cause that is more valuable.

Ryan should be a guy you give a 1 year show me deal to. Should not be overly expensive.

Amendola is a contract to look at. He did come down this year so I think he will against next year (maybe give him a longer term deal to do it but that is fine). I think he looks being here and knows what he is worth money wise and will to step off his 2016 number if it means being here long term at a fair number.

Patriots can easily save 10M between cutting Mayo (sorry to see you go!) and restructuring Amendola. That would put them at about 138 which would give them 10-15M to play with anyway.

I imagine a lot will be used to fix the secondary.

Mayo will not have that contract. We save $5.4M by letting him go, that's what's important, not the dead cap. There's not much depth behind him because he is the depth. He's not even the third linebacker. He's the fourth.

I don't see why we should trade Jones. He is definitely worth the $7.8M that he will get next year.

Hopefully we see one more year of him, but honestly, an edge rusher is replaceable- as harsh as that sounds.

Hopefully we see one more year of him, but honestly, an edge rusher is replaceable- as harsh as that sounds.

Yeah, but it did take the team a little while to come around to the fact that they needed one once the rebuilding process began. That said, we're really starting to see what Jones is capable of if he stays healthy. I would love to see the team re-sign all three guys. If it comes down to an either or scenario, however, I too would prefer they lock up Collins and Hightower.

It would take a salary cap MIRACLE for us to keep Collins, Hightower and Jones past 2016... Pats might be able to pull it off, but I doubt it
Would a Brady contract extension at vet minimum qualify as such a miracle? What if it were coupled with significant Mayo and Amendola restructures?

Still call BS, Bill signed Wilfork and Mankins to market setting contacts at their positions.

That's a great argument against the "cheap" assertions, but it's not as compelling in this discussion. While they signed those two big contracts, they had a 3rd bill coming due in Seymour.... and traded him away.

That's a great argument against the "cheap" assertions, but it's not as compelling in this discussion. While they signed those two big contracts, they had a 3rd bill coming due in Seymour.... and traded him away.
Seymour was over 30, has nothing to do with Jones' situation. Ninkovich is probably the one they'll try to get rid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results