PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone here planning on using stimulus check money on Patriots related stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. Maybe in Alaska...
Places in the middle of nowhere where you can buy a cheap house, etc, it's a very difficult argument to make that they need help. My wife and I make about that, we're both engineers, and we live in the middle of nowhere. Are we rich ? No. Do I have to manage the checkbook and cash flow ? Yes. But do we need the 500+ that we're getting (I think it's because of the kids) ? No.

Now - put us in NY, Boston or Chicago and things change a lot.

Places in the middle of nowhere where you can buy a cheap house, etc, it's a very difficult argument to make that they need help. My wife and I make about that, we're both engineers, and we live in the middle of nowhere. Are we rich ? No. Do I have to manage the checkbook and cash flow ? Yes. But do we need the 500+ that we're getting (I think it's because of the kids) ? No.

Now - put us in NY, Boston or Chicago and things change a lot.

i know what you are saying BUT you still want this 500 check even though you don't need it. You need it for your kid education and unexpected events.

We can't really depend on our government to help us when we are in trouble because they are not going to do anything about it. Katrina is the best example.

My wife is French-American. I got a French citizenship through her. If thing really goes bad here, we go to French. All options are on table.!

i know what you are saying BUT you still want this 500 check even though you don't need it. You need it for your kid education and unexpected events.
Sure, $500 in my bank account helps me more than ripping it up and, I guess, reducing the deficit by $500. I'm not suggesting anyone not cash the check, just commenting on the "rich" thing. It's so geographically dependent it's stupid until you hit $500K or more to be called people rich.

Whats all this about free money?

(Im from the UK)

Whats all this about free money?

(Im from the UK)

In the U.K., your economy is actually standing upright. Ours, however, is faltering all over the place. Gas prices are astronomical and with rising gas prices comes rising prices for everything else. Food has been the most noticeable increase besides gas. Our economy is shot. Everyday when I look at CNN, the DOW and NASDAQ are always down. Because of this, the government has sent out relief checks to all Americans who qualify (make under $75,000 per year). It's called the economic stimulus. Single Americans get a $600 check in the mail and married couples making under 100 something thousand (can't remember the exact dollar figure) get a $1,200 check. It's a waste anyway since, sooner or later, we'll have to spend it on gas anyway.

In the U.K., your economy is actually standing upright. Ours, however, is faltering all over the place. Gas prices are astronomical and with rising gas prices comes rising prices for everything else. Food has been the most noticeable increase besides gas.
That's funny considering that food and gas are more expensive in England than here.

Everyday when I look at CNN, the DOW and NASDAQ are always down.
Even with today's drop we're up about 1,000 on the Dow since the lows last 6 or so weeks ago and we've made up about half of the loss. It's not a strong market right now but the drop from the peak is only about 8.5% - while that sounds like a lot, it's not bad at all to veterans in the market.

That's funny considering that food and gas are more expensive in England than here.

Food prices aren't higher there at all. I just came back from a trip to Britain this past summer and it was more or less the same. However, gas prices have ALWAYS been high there (even 7 years ago I believe they were past 3 pounds per gallon). Plus, you have to take into consideration that the euro is stronger than the dollar as well.

Last edited:
Food prices aren't higher there at all. I just came back from a trip to Britain this past summer and it was more or less the same. However, gas prices have ALWAYS been high there (even 7 years ago I believe they were past 3 pounds per gallon).
Well all my relatives live there and when they visit (admittedly the last time was a few months ago) they always say that everything is cheaper here - food, clothes, toys, whatever.

Regarding gas prices - the fact that they have always been higher and that the extra money is due to taxes is irrelevant; you're talking about our current cost of living compared to theirs, not what we're used to compared to what they're used to. If you are arguing that we have been spoiled and are only just realizing it, I'll agree with that.

Hey, I got that straight from H&R Block. I'll be more than happy to be wrong on this...

I think you'll be more than happy. I also use h&R block, they gave me the irs.gov line.

Food prices aren't higher there at all. I just came back from a trip to Britain this past summer and it was more or less the same. However, gas prices have ALWAYS been high there (even 7 years ago I believe they were past 3 pounds per gallon). Plus, you have to take into consideration that the euro is stronger than the dollar as well.

Over here Petrol prices are in litres, and right now it's about £1.09 for a litre of petrol (although in some places last week it was £1.50 due to the strike at an oil refinery in Scotland) so it was about £4.13 per Gallon which is roughly $8. How does this compare to prices in the US?

Here is another better idea. Fly to US, watch a Pats game in California, fill up your gas tank, and fly back to UK with it.:D

Then i could sell it and make a fortune, although there is porbably some kind of law against bootlegging Petrol :mad:

Then i could sell it and make a fortune, although there is porbably some kind of law against bootlegging Petrol :mad:

That, and the entire cabin of the plane would probably asphyxiate. :rocker:

I heard today on Fox News that by 2011 Gas is expected to reach $6 a Gallon :eek:

Better start manufacturing those Electric cars fast - The demand will be overwhelming if that news story comes true

I heard today on Fox News that by 2011 Gas is expected to reach $6 a Gallon :eek:

Better start manufacturing those Electric cars fast - The demand will be overwhelming if that news story comes true

LOL. Two years ago, the news said that in 2007, gas will reach $5 a gallon. Gas is always expected to reach $5-$6 per gallon. Now it just looks like it is a slow process to get there.

I would kill for $6 a gallon.

I imagine most of us will actually see $10 a gallon in our lifetime. Hopefully by then we aren't as dependant.

...didn't Christopher Lloyd have a car that ran on garbage in Back to the Future? That would be pretty ok.:D

Would you not mind telling US custom that you are here for gas after arriving at the airport.?

The tomorrow headline on all major newspapers and TVs is A European comes to US for GAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes