PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone have any inside scoop on Kelly, Talib and Amendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 3rd down statistics are so grim - worst of the Brady era - because there's no 3rd-down back like Kevin Faulk as a primary target or safety valve.

Deus Irae actually posted a statistic about 15-18 months ago (approx) that showed the average number of RB receptions during the Brady era.

It was normally in the mid to high 50's in terms of RB catches just about every single year, with the exception coming in BJGE's last season here (2011) where we only had something in the mid to high 30's; although that was also the year where we really hit the TE's/Welker a lot so it didn't show quite as negatively. Last year was right back to usual with Woodhead catching 40 by himself, and it was a nice balanced attack again.

Those RB receptions are incredibly important, especially now during a transitional period with the offense as a whole. Even though we're missing Vereen, one would think that someone else can add something more than what we're seeing as of late--especially if Bolden would stop dropping the ball.

And I get increasingly angry and resentful about the sheer stupidity and selfishness of Aaron Hernandez playing the role of big bad gangster with his guns and moronic running buddies. His role on this team was critical to how it was assembled and he was rewarded for his unique athletic talents in a life-altering fashion. His murderous, violent behaviors needed attention which he had more than enough money and support to address. He'll never see the outside of a prison now and that's fine. He not only murdered one or more people, he hurt everyone who ever came into contact with him, inlcuding his teammates whose time at the pinnacle of their profession is very short.

And don't forget the fans....

I would kick him squarely in the nuts and beotch slap him myself if I had the opportunity.

If all the WRs are healthy, I figure Amendola is the WR1. That leaves the trio of Edelman/Thompkins/Dobson.

Who's the WR2 in two WR sets?
Who's the WR3 in three WR sets?

WR2 KT
WR3 Edelperson

Although Dobs is a superior talent and potential deep threat, the way Tom has been consistently missing on deep throws I'd prefer a short to medium range attack focus. The occasional long ball to KT or even Gronk, assuming he decides to try catching with both hands this week.

And I get increasingly angry and resentful about the sheer stupidity and selfishness of Aaron Hernandez playing the role of big bad gangster with his guns and moronic running buddies. His role on this team was critical to how it was assembled and he was rewarded for his unique athletic talents in a life-altering fashion. His murderous, violent behaviors needed attention which he had more than enough money and support to address. He'll never see the outside of a prison now and that's fine. He not only murdered one or more people, he hurt everyone who ever came into contact with him, inlcuding his teammates whose time at the pinnacle of their profession is very short.

I'm not as certain AH is toast as I once was. Based on the evidence, he's done. However, there is animosity between the DA and the judge. DA asked the judge to recuse herself and she decided to stay. Not good for the prosecution. Meanwhile, even under the duress of a perjury charge, AH's baby mama refuses to say where she disposed of the box that the prosecution alleges contained the murder weapon. Her story is that she cannot remember. Never underestimate the ineptness of MA state prosecutors at trial or MA juries to get flummoxed over "reasonable" doubt. The DA would prefer a deal rather than risk defeat at trial. Since AH has very competent council, expect any deal to vastly reduce the # of years served. And maybe even then we're better off with a deal vs. hung juries or acquittal for "insufficient proof beyond reasonable doubt."

The wild card is the previous 2 murders. But there the evidence is far more tenuous. Truly "circumstantial" at this point.

/thread hijack

Deus Irae actually posted a statistic about 15-18 months ago (approx) that showed the average number of RB receptions during the Brady era.

It was normally in the mid to high 50's in terms of RB catches just about every single year, with the exception coming in BJGE's last season here (2011) where we only had something in the mid to high 30's; although that was also the year where we really hit the TE's/Welker a lot so it didn't show quite as negatively. Last year was right back to usual with Woodhead catching 40 by himself, and it was a nice balanced attack again.

Those RB receptions are incredibly important, especially now during a transitional period with the offense as a whole. Even though we're missing Vereen, one would think that someone else can add something more than what we're seeing as of late--especially if Bolden would stop dropping the ball.

Perfect Storm

In a year when the GM took great risk jettisoning Welker for DA and eschewing Lloyd for a gaggle of rookies, the following happened...

DA got injured early & often (OK, everyone EXCEPT BB anticipated this, WTF?)
TE #1 was far later than anticipated returning to the field
TE #2 went on a killing spree removing himself from the lineup
TEs #3 & 4 Ballard & Fells remained too injured to play
3rd down RB Ben Vereen who was expected to be a Woodchuck upgrade, again injured

Looking at all this, it's understandable why the 2013 offense to use a technical football term uttered by the QB, "sucks".

I left TFB's 2013 sub-par decision making and accuracy out of the above

people want to talk about welker, but losing welker isnt really what has hurt us because our Slot WR's have put up welker like numbers.

what really hurt us was losing woodhead...and considering the reasonable contract he got in sandiego it made no sense.

I think its clear how involved they wanted vereen in the offense from week 1. he caught what, 7 passes lineing up all over the field? I guess they figured washington would be solid as his backup as a passing back

unfortunately the washington signing has been a bust so far.

people want to talk about welker, but losing welker isnt really what has hurt us because our Slot WR's have put up welker like numbers...

I'm not sure if you're falling prey to a myth or a desire to cover BB's ass on the Welker decision, but a simple viewing of the games backs the idea that your point is incorrect. And, before people jump down my throat about this, I'm not saying it's specifically because Welker is gone. I'm saying it because Welker is gone and the "Welker replacement" (Amendola) has been on the sidelines for most of the season, so the quick "open in the first 5 yards" plays haven't been there nearly as often.

I'm not saying it's specifically because Welker is gone. I'm saying it because Welker is gone and the "Welker replacement" (Amendola) has been on the sidelines for most of the season, so the quick "open in the first 5 yards" plays haven't been there nearly as often.

No, no they haven't.

I believe that this is causing our weakness at C/RG to be exposed (it was always there in my opinion, but carefully masked last season to some extent), and leading to Brady needing to hold the ball for a longer period of time. As we all know, this has led to more sacks and pressure, and now even some injury concerns at the position of QB.

Many felt that they would stray away from the quicker slot passes to some degree this year, much to my disagreement. I felt that this aspect was still going to be our bread and butter for the most part; unfortunately the lack of this trait is causing a ton of problems.

people want to talk about welker, but losing welker isnt really what has hurt us because our Slot WR's have put up welker like numbers.

what really hurt us was losing woodhead...and considering the reasonable contract he got in sandiego it made no sense.

I think its clear how involved they wanted vereen in the offense from week 1. he caught what, 7 passes lineing up all over the field? I guess they figured washington would be solid as his backup as a passing back

unfortunately the washington signing has been a bust so far.

I agree with your point about RBs. But I think Woodhead was cut because we have Vereen. No one could have predicted the injury and I think it was the correct decision. Vereen is better

well Danny is playing..maybe that week off helped his hip

well Danny is playing..maybe that week off helped his hip

I think you mean groin. Either way, it should pretty much be a non-issue after these next 2 games + the bye if we're going be normal timetables. He made a nice recovery, you've got to give that to him. He's tough, he really is--just unfortunate, at least so far anyway.

I agree with your point about RBs. But I think Woodhead was cut because we have Vereen. No one could have predicted the injury and I think it was the correct decision. Vereen is better

I think it's often been a staple of Belichick to try and take advantage of close positional battles with the younger, cheaper player; as the salary cap is obviously going to play a role in the decisions.

That said, it's a shame to see them watch Woodhead walk away for 1.75 AAV, then make an initial offer to Leon Washington for 1.2 (even though they ended up cutting him and bringing him back for approx. 700-800k). I've thought that Belichick may have viewed both Vereen and Woodhead as redundant, but then that wouldn't explain the signing of Washington too well either. I think in the end it's all about trying to get the back production for the cheapest amount of money, so Woodhead may have been a goner the entire time.

Why couldn't they have both?

Sure, I have the inside scoop. Talib & Amendola don't ever stay healthy and Kelly is like putting a finger in the dyke to plug the huge hole Wilfork filled.
So... yeah. there ya go.

Still gonna passionately watch though. Ulcers all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference