PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else giving up their season tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The claim: "I can see better on television than I can in the stadium."
The answer: Total bullsh!t. You can't see pass patterns develop on television and you can't see line play nearly as well. And you absolutely cannot see what's happening on both sidelines whenever you want to, as you can at the stadium. Watching on television you're at the mercy of a narrow-angle camera feed that shows you only a small percentage of what's going on in the stadium environment.

Totally agree. I've yet to see a sport that wasn't MUCH, MUCH better in person, be it one of the big team sports or something else entirely. With almost any sport, being able to see the whole field of play makes a HUGE difference. I've been spellbound by sports in person that I wouldn't spend five minutes watching on TV, and sports that I love watching on TV? Well, I'll happily sit on the waiting list for nine years in the vague hope that I might someday get season tickets. :)

Thanks. And here's more:

The claim: "I can see better on television than I can in the stadium."
The answer: Total bullsh!t. You can't see pass patterns develop on television and you can't see line play nearly as well. And you absolutely cannot see what's happening on both sidelines whenever you want to, as you can at the stadium. Watching on television you're at the mercy of a narrow-angle camera feed that shows you only a small percentage of what's going on in the stadium environment.

The claim: "The traffic hassles, parking costs, bad weather, etc., aren't worth it."
The answer: Nothing beats the mounting excitement and communal atmosphere of not only being INSIDE the stadium, but tailgating beforehand on a crisp fall day. And if the weather happens to suck, all the more fun. Football is a game played in the elements. Some of my fondest memories are of games played in snow, driving rain, or hurricane-force winds. There is no such thing as "bad" weather, only inadequate clothing.

The claim: "You have to spend too much on food and beer at the games."
The answer: Hogwash. No one is forcing you to buy $7 beers at the stadium, or eat stadium food. I like the occasional beer but have not bought one stadium beer in my 17 years as a season ticket holder. I'll have a couple while tailgating and maybe one or two after. Loading up on beer during the game never made sense to me. Between getting looped and needing restroom trips, it interferes with your ability to focus on the action.

The claim: "You can follow what's happening in other games more closely at home."
The answer: So what? Catching up on other games' highlights and final scores is something to look forward to afterward. Regardless, they show highlights of other games at halftime on the stadium screens, and give regular updates on out-of-town scores on the scoreboard.

Here's another:

How many times are you watching the game, a Patriots player gets hurt, lies on the field and Jim Nantz says, "....and we'll be right back after these messages......"

Two minutes of commercials, the game is back on ....and there is no mention of what happened and who was injured, etc.

Here's another:

How many times are you watching the game, a Patriots player gets hurt, lies on the field and Jim Nantz says, "....and we'll be right back after these messages......"

Two minutes of commercials, the game is back on ....and there is no mention of what happened and who was injured, etc.

We can't afford season tickets, so we go to a few games a year and get SRO tickets. I can hardly sit during the game at home, so what difference does it make if I can't sit at the game?!

Nothing beats tailgating before the game, nothing beats standing in Gillette when they start playing "Oh Fortuna" and the snow starts falling and it's the playoffs! Are you kidding me? It's complete euphoria!

Nothing beats high fiving and chest bumping 15+ other people you don't even know (all wearing Pats gear) after a touchdown or slamming into one another in a mock moss pit to Bawitdaba... Nothing.

How about when the Pats are on D and feeling uncomfortable when you are screaming at the top of your lungs and the rest of the crowd around you is sitting there in silence. Thankfully I drank enough not to care :)

How about when the Pats are on D and feeling uncomfortable when you are screaming at the top of your lungs and the rest of the crowd around you is sitting there in silence. Thankfully I drank enough not to care :)

That doesn't happen too often in the SRO area where we usually stand. It's the exact opposite crowd of the stereotypical wine and cheese crowd. Of the few games I've had seats for (at Gillette- other stadiums have been different) it's been a different experience, with a better view but less intensity from those around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News