PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anonymous NFL Owner: Deflategate Has Been ‘Embarrassing To Our League’

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...this-entire-episode-is-embarrassing-our-sport

I also know that as the NFL has repeatedly lost appellate cases, concern among some in ownership, and elsewhere in the sport, has grown. No, it's not massive concern. That's not fair. But it is concern. And it is growing.

The concern is image—that the former image of the league as an efficient, fair place is being destroyed. That is almost exactly how it was put to me by many different sources.

Eyebrows are raised, and I believe there is bewilderment about how footballs being deflated reached this incredible waypoint where the league is in federal court and the NFL is being excoriated in the media.

Even owners, officials and others who like Goodell (such as me) are wondering: What the hell is going on out here?

The perception problem has come to be symbolized by the judge in the federal case, Richard Berman, who has asked a number of pointed questions to NFL lawyers.

I asked the same owner quoted at the top of this story if he monitored this week's court developments in the Deflategate case. Of course, he said, he's monitored them all.

And his thoughts?

"Like I said," the owner explained, "this is embarrassing to our league."

These owners are billionaires. Why don't they put their name on quotes? What are they afraid of

If that is from an owner, it's very naïve.

How do you know a process is broken unless you shine a light on the broken process?

He says basically, "it's broken but they agreed to it and should live with it". Yes, that's how life works. (not)

As much as protesters annoy me sometimes, I think protest is an extremely powerful right and applaud those who have shined a light on injustice. There are many important issues I would have not known or cared about had protesters not been so annoying.

If the players can't see that this is about a power grab at this point, they don't have a clue.

If the NFL didn't behave so poorly that every time they go to court they lose, this wouldn't be an issue. If there was any real evidence against Brady this wouldn't be an issue. It's only an issue because the NFL is trying to screw one of it's best "employees" with no real evidence.

Screw those guys. They're embarrassing Brady, their league deserves to be embarrassed.

Because when this first started and after Wells report, Owners NFL* thought this would be a Slam Dunk Victory for them BUT NOW tables have turned and they're being exposed for frauds that they are and now they want this to go away and play football. Owners made a mockery out of this and league and now Brady is in drivers seat and should put peddle to metal Blow'm Up. Judge Berman knows what went on here and is basically giving Goodell* a chance to rectify it, well at least that's how I'm seeing latest meetings. Like to know what impact this has overseas with games since Goodell*NFL* want to branch there.

Because when this first started and after Wells report, Owners NFL* thought this would be a Slam Dunk Victory for them BUT NOW tables have turned and they're being exposed for frauds that they are and now they want this to go away and play football. Owners made a mockery out of this and league and now Brady is in drivers seat and should put peddle to metal Blow'm Up. Judge Berman knows what went on here and is basically giving Goodell* a chance to rectify it, well at least that's how I'm seeing latest meetings. Like to know what impact this has overseas with games since Goodell*NFL* want to branch there.

People overseas still watch various leagues/events overseen by FIFA, so I don't think the idea of a corrupt body overseeing their sport will strike any of them as unusual/off-putting.

People overseas still watch various leagues/events overseen by FIFA, so I don't think the idea of a corrupt body overseeing their sport will strike any of them as unusual/off-putting.

Pats/Brady are well liked and have a huge fan base in London. After SB Win, merch there must have gone off charts. I don't see anything changing there myself. Was wonderin what they thought of overall league on/off field issues with star players and Goodell*

Yes, it would have been better if Kraft realized what Goodell was earlier. But that doesn’t mean he’s obligated to be a fool forever.

A conservative is a liberal who's been mugged, and a liberal is a conservative who's been arrested. Whatever. Point is, Kraft is getting to see this first hand, and his eyes have been opened. Better late than never.
Don't be too sure that Bob blames anyone other than Pash.

• Agree
Reactions: SVN
If this same NFL owner was punished this harshly for what's a 20K fine in the rule book even if it's true he'd be fighting at least as hard.

When you ask why us, claim Rog is doing a fine job, and then say it's the process...

He says basically, "it's broken but they agreed to it and should live with it". Yes, that's how life works. (not)
Is the only thing that the recent CBA added (that mainly affects the Brady case) was that Goodell could be arbitrator?

As for section 46, goodell wields it like a cudgel or a gun and the owner here is saying the weapon is the problem, not the flaw in the person wielding it. It's ALWAYS been a discretionary power and I can't think of too many times I recall it being put in play (but, I thought it was really meant for big-time things like throwing games).

The big problem here is obviously Goodell, but it's also that he feels he is the NFL. Does he ever pass up a moment to not try to take the spotlight? His job should be to point out the good of the league and not allow his ego to overrule sound decision making. Could there be anyone more psychologically unfit for this role than Goodell. He must have his strengths, but his weaknesses are making the league look bad.

I'm going to buy a single share in the GB packers just so I can be an 'NFL Owner' and be quoted anonymously.

"Roger Goodell taught Jared Fogel everything he knows" said an incredibly handsome anonymous NFL owner with a big ****.

I'm going to buy a single share in the GB packers just so I can be an 'NFL Owner' and be quoted anonymously.

"Roger Goodell taught Jared Fogel everything he knows" said an incredibly handsome anonymous NFL owner with a big ****.

You misquoted me

I am tired of the argument "the union agreed to this system" crap. Two arguments shoots down this whole thing:
  • Even if the union agreed to let Goodell to be the sole arbitrator (or assign the arbitrator he chooses), they did not agree to let Goodell run a totally unfair process where he can make up violations based on no evidence and deny a player any semblance of a fair process whatsover. They did not crown Goodell emperor and let him make up the rules as he went along, they didn't get the clause in the CBA removed that allowed him to arbitrate cases.
  • This power has been in the CBA since the 1960s and there was never an issue with this for like 4 decades until Goodell started to abuse the power about five years ago. Can anyone even point to an arbitration decision for disciplining a player by Pete Rozelle or Paul Tagliabue that the NFLPA even remotely questioned. There was never a need to get rid of Article 46. And hell, there wasn't even a need to get rid of Article 46 during the last CBA battle. Bountygate, Ray Rice, and Adrian Peterson came after the new CBA was signed.
People saying the NFLPA agreed to this process are just doing what anyone burying the Patriots in this whole thing has been doing all along. They are just taking overly simplified and misleading points and making them fit the argument. The NFLPA never agreed to a process where Roger Goodell could take very weak evidence of Brady being "more likely than not" "generally aware" of a scheme to deflate footballs in the AFCCG and turn it into Brady "knew about, approved of, consented to, and provided inducements and rewards in support of a scheme by which, with Mr. Jastremski’s support, Mr. McNally tampered with the game balls" and then deny Brady access to witnesses and research materials in the appeals process and then lie about what Brady testified to when he thought the appeal transcripts were going to be sealed forever.

I read Article 46 when the NFL kept on hammering it and I don't remember seeing the players conceding powers like this to the commissioner.

Yes....yes.. Come to the liberal side. Bernie Sanders has cookies and union empowerment waiting for you!

Bob should be blaming nobody but Bob.

I don't disagree outright. Yes, Bob and the other 31 have the vast, lion's share of the blame. Further, he and some of the other owners, IMHO, probably thought 'I don't necessarily like how it is going BUT this is how it is. The business/revenue is growing, that is what matters, don't rock the boat'.
However, isn't there room for nuance beyond that? Goodell is in fact untouchable even to powerful Bob, to a powerful group of 4 or 5 owners, by the media, or by fans. Short of committing theft, rape or murder I don't think Goodell can get fired. He has solified power to a degree that is pretty astonishing when you consider he reports to 32 billionaires. So if there isn't room for nuance, aren't loyal NFL watchers/users -- Us -- also to blame on a small level? We keep Goodell's numbers high enough to make him untouchable. Consider this, if just 3% of us turned off the TV, the networks would wail and Goodell would probably be replaced by end of season.

Someone here smartly said a liberal is a conservative who has been arrested, and a conservative is a liberal who got mugged. This cluster F with Goodell at the head, this thing is much bigger than Bob and what Bob can do about him. Other sport's leagues have powerful commissioners yet this guy, Goodell, IMHO only, is a snake in the grass who snuck up on even the powerful like Bob.
With that said, I do not absolve Bob of blame but I semi disagree if we can't also look at circumstance.

Yeah Bob is to blame for some of Goodell's power trip. I don't deny that and I have never claimed to be a fan of Kraft. In fact I found it gross that he defended Goodell over the Ray Rice incident.

Put the draft picks aside...that does not at all justify what is being done to Tom. :mad:

BTW, I am glad the owners are embarrassed by this whole thing. The only consolation that I have from this whole mess is that Goodell, Pash, Ted Wells, the owners, and the entire league is now getting dragged through the mud after Goodell and his cronies did that to the Patriots for seven months with the owners cheering them on.

The owners wanted this. They encouraged this. Now they get what they deserve.

At worst, this should have taken about two weeks after the Super Bowl to resolve and at worse the Patriots should have gotten was a fine. But Goodell decided a better course of action would be to kill the Patriots by figuratively locking himself, Ted Wells, the NFL in a building with the Brady, Kraft, and the Patriots organization and blowing up the entire building killing everyone inside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back