PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Tippet a finalist for HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It'd be cool to get him inducted, but I doubt it will happen.

Wide receiver Cris Carter and cornerback Darrell Green are among the 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.

The group, which also includes former National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, defensive end Richard Dent and
wide receiver Art Monk, was narrowed from 124 preliminary nominees by the Hall of Fame’s 44-member selection committee.

The Hall of Fame will announce its Class of 2008 on Feb. 2, the day before this season’s Super Bowl. A minimum of four and a maximum of seven will be picked for this year’s class.

Other finalists include defensive end Fred Dean; linebackers
Randy Gradishar, Derrick Thomas and Andre Tippett; offensive linemen Russ Grimm, Bob Kuechenberg, Randall McDaniel and Gary Zimmerman; receiver Andre Reed; and punter Ray Guy.

There also are two finalists added by the Seniors Committee: Chicago Cardinals running back Marshall Goldberg and Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Emmitt Thomas.

Potential inductees must be retired five years before being considered for the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Carter, 42, was selected to the Pro Bowl eight times from 1987-2002 and
ranks second in NFL history to Jerry Rice with 1,101 career receptions and 130 touchdown catches. He played three seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles and 12 with the Minnesota Vikings before ending his career in Miami.

Green, 47, also retired in 2002 after playing 20 seasons
in the NFL with the Washington Redskins. He had 54 career interceptions, was voted to the Pro Bowl seven times and played on two Super Bowl-winning teams.

Why isn't Gino Cappelletti a finalist on the Seniors Committee list. Why he is not in the HOF is stupid in it self but not in on this list is really pathetic.

Tippet absolutely deserves to be in the hall. He dominated his era,had 100 sacks from the STRONG side of the line,not like LT who worked the weak side. Its almost obscene that hes not in all ready. I don't understand what the voters base their criteria on. They elect one offensive player after another,so maybe flash wins the vote.

Plus I'm pretty sure he's the best Jewish linebacker in Patriots history.

He doesn't look Jewish.:confused:
It's true, he converted. He a belongs to a conservative (branch of Judaism, not political philosophy) temple in the town I grew up in (Sharon).

Last edited:
It's about goddamn time. If he played on the Giants in LT's place he'd be considered a football God.

Why isn't Gino Cappelletti a finalist on the Seniors Committee list. Why he is not in the HOF is stupid in it self but not in on this list is really pathetic.

There is a bias against AFL players. Gino will never be considered because he played in the wrong league.

I think Stanley Morgan has been jobbed more. At least Peter King has changed his tune about Morgan and has said in his MMQB column that next year he will definitely nominate Morgan and fight his cause because he didn't realize how amazing he was until Pats fans pointed it out.

PS Congrats Tip. There isn't a player who has played for the Patriots and is eligible for the Hall who deserves it more. If it wasn't for the fact he played in the LT era, he'd probably already be in.

He was awesome and definately deserves it. I hope he finally gets in.

I was confused by this caption:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/photo?s....super_bowl_patriots_football_azss124&prov=ap

capt.523517178d594c159ce632e4f21b1a54.super_bowl_patriots_football_azss124.jpg

New England Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel wears the red, old-style, Patriots jersey of former linebacker Andre Tippit during practice at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Ariz., Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2008. Tippit was selected to the NFL Hall of Fame Wednesday. The Patriots will play the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII in Glendale, Ariz., on Sunday.

Granted that Tippett's name was misspelled, but did he really get selected for the HOF?

I was confused by this caption:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/photo?s....super_bowl_patriots_football_azss124&prov=ap

capt.523517178d594c159ce632e4f21b1a54.super_bowl_patriots_football_azss124.jpg

Granted that Tippett's name was misspelled, but did he really get selected for the HOF?

I noticed that too today. Did a double-take before doing a Google. The photo was taken by Stephan Savoia, who usually does Boston/New England AP pictures.

Either the real voting happened today and this is a leak, or it's just Savoia making an incorrect assumption based on the picture taken.

good luck tipp

The thing that is frustrating is that all these talking heads who talk about players who should get in, none of them mention Tipp. That is a shame. Since some of them actually vote, I am guessing he will not get in.

New England players aren't the only ones being jobbed. I have lived in the DC area for 30 years, and each year the folks down here are hoping that Art Monk finally gets voted in. When he retired in 1995, he was the leading receiver of all time in terms of career receptions. Currently, he's 7th in receptions and 12th in receiving yards. He was named by the NFL to its 1980s All Decade Team. But one guy on the selection committee won't vote for him because "no defense had to alter its game plan for Monk." By the way, Monk was a quiet, unassuming guy.

New England players aren't the only ones being jobbed. I have lived in the DC area for 30 years, and each year the folks down here are hoping that Art Monk finally gets voted in. When he retired in 1995, he was the leading receiver of all time in terms of career receptions. Currently, he's 7th in receptions and 12th in receiving yards. He was named by the NFL to its 1980s All Decade Team. But one guy on the selection committee won't vote for him because "no defense had to alter its game plan for Monk." By the way, Monk was a quiet, unassuming guy.

Monk should be in especially since Lynn Swann got in. The only think Swann has over Monk is Super Bowl rings.

Cappuletti is black listed for different reasons though. Gino will probably never even be a finalist. Monk will eventually get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST