PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec. 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

You guys want a good example of Jets fans? Here's one...

Prior to the Pittsburgh game: Jets fans on their forums were openly thinking that the Pats had a 0% chance to win in Pittsburgh. That we weren't going to be able to move the ball against the staunch Pittsburgh defense and that Roethlisberger was going to eat us alive. That the Pats couldn't stand up to the AFC's best team in Pittsburgh.

After the Pittsburgh game: The very same Jets fans are now saying that Pittsburgh has always been an overrated team and that their passing defense sucks and that Polamalu isn't what he used to be. Jets fans say that Pittsburgh has been overrated all year long and that they were never anywhere near the best team in the conference.

Re: An NY Jets fan's opinion (backed by stats) telling why the Jets will prevail Dec.

First some opinions about differences between week 2 and now:

A) Santonio Holmes as a receiving threat: How will the Patriots deal with him?

B) A 100% Darrelle Revis: Who will he cover and can he be as effective as he has been recently? Revis has held Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Calvin "Megatron" Johnson, and Terrell Owens to 61 yards total. Will Tom Brady be afraid to throw in his direction?

C)Calvin Pace as a pass rusher/run stoper: He missed the first 4 games of the season. How will his presence in this game help with the pass rush/run game?

D) O-Line improvement: Jets had a 2nd year player starting in only his second game at RG (Matt Slauson). The Patriots had 3 sacks that game. That has only happened 1 other time this season (Hou). Part of that is Mark Sanchez's ability to escape the rush and still make plays. Will a team that's currently 21's in sacks be able to get constant pressure on the QB? Will they be able to contain Sanchez once/if he escapes the pocket?

Besides said differences between week 2 and now...there are some other things I wanna see:

1) Sumthin's gotta give: Either Tom Brady's 25 straight (regular season) home wins will cease or the Jets current 8 straight (regular season) road winning streak cease. Jets are a better road team than home team anyway, winning 11 of the last 15 games on the road including the playoffs.

2) Danny's impact: Will Danny Woodhead and the Patriot running game have an impact in the game vs the Jets? The stats say 'no' he would not. The Jets are the NFL's 4th best rush defense: The Patriots have faced two teams ranked higher: The Chargers (3rd) and the Steelers (1st). They both held the Patriots rushing attack under 100+ yards.

3) Sumthin's gotta give part two: Tom Brady is on Fire. Noticed how I capitalized the F. 23 TD's/4 INT's/2703 passing yards. But he's only passed for 300 + yards twice...vs the Steelers and the Lions. The Jets are 12th in fewest passing YPG (210.6), allow the 4th worst QB rating (75.8), and is tops in the league in lowest completion percentage allowed by opposing QB's (50.3). They held Tom Brady to his 2nd lowest completion percentage this season (55.6), and his 2nd lowest QBR 72.5. Tom Brady has faced 4 teams this season that has allowed fewer passing yardage per game than the Jets. San Diego, Indy, Miami, Baltimore. In those 4 games vs those upper echelon passing defenses Tom has been sacked 11 of his 15 times this season and has thrown for under 200 yards passing in 3 of those games (SD, Miami, Indy).

4) Tom's two losses: They came vs. teams who run the ball well. Jets are 2nd in the league at rushing yards per game and the Cleveland Browns are 12th. They've faced other teams who run the ball well Minnesota (10th) and the Steelers (9th). The Patriots forced the Steelers to play catch-up after getting a huge lead in the game, therefore forcing them to abandon the run. While the rushing attack was able to get the better of the Minnesota and keep Adrian Peterson off the field. In the two games the Patriots lost they were out gained on the ground by 75 (NYJ) and 136 (Cle). Not only did they keep Tom Brady off the field, they eliminated any running threat and thereby putting more pressure on Tom Brady to be flawless.

5) Multifaceted threat: If you can either take away or match the one or two things that another team can do then you've got a good strategy/game plan. Belichick is a master of both. Problem is the Jets are very good at a lot of things and not GREAT any any one or two things. We all know this will be the best rushing offense the Pats will have faced all season. But what else is there? Well...the Jets avg 40.1 net yards punting (5th in the league) and are tied for the league lead with 26 punts killed inside the 20. They are 2nd in the league in kick return average at 26.9. All this adds up to winning the battle of field position. They are 9th in the league with 37 passing plays of 20+ yards and 6th in the league with 9 passing plays of 40+ yards, both ranking are higher than New England's, despite all the Mark Sanchez naysayers out there. The Jets have only allowed 1 300+ passing game all season (Chad Henne) and that was without Darrelle Revis.

Quite frankly...The Patriots have not faced a team this season who is above average with regards to running the ball & defending the run & defending the pass & explosive pass plays with the punting/kicking to win the field position battle all rolled into one. Not to mention the Jets have the 4th best starting field position in the NFL. This is the best combination of offense, defense and special teams in the NFL. This is why I think the Jets will win by a touchdown next Monday.

I predict Jets 27 - Patriots 20.

People want to Jump on the San Diego Chargers bandwagon...but of their 5 losses 3 of them were to teams under .500. Not me sir. Would rather barely win vs sub .500 teams than lose to them

I will be here all week, respectful, and would appreciate the same in return.

Reponses....comments...rebuttals?

Let's compare the Jets vaunted running game shall we!! Thru 12 weeks the Jets have 1629 yards on 365 attempts for a 4.5 average. The Pats have 1237 yards on 291 attempts for a 4.3 average. Looks like the running game is a wash. Nice Try Though.

Could you show your proof please that Revis shut down Jennings other than your say so?

And McCourtey changes how he plays depending on the defensive play called.. He plays zone. He plays man. He jams the receivers. He runs with them.

ProFootball Weekly via Yahoo

Attention visitors: Revis Island is open for business again.

After missing all of training camp because of a contract holdout, CB Darrelle Revis(notes) started off the season slowly from not being in proper playing shape and was famously burned by then-Patriots WR Randy Moss(notes) on a long one-handed TD grab in Week Two. A hamstring injury forced Revis to miss two full games and parts of others before the Jets' Week Seven bye. But the All-Pro is now 100 percent healthy and back in elite form. Since the off week, Revis has held Greg Jennings(notes), Calvin Johnson(notes), Andre Johnson(notes) and Terrell Owens(notes) to a combined nine catches for 74 yards, well below the norm for the group of elite wide receivers.

I could be wrong, but I believe Jennings was 2-20 or 3-30 with Revis on him

Let's compare the Jets vaunted running game shall we!! Thru 12 weeks the Jets have 1629 yards on 365 attempts for a 4.5 average. The Pats have 1237 yards on 291 attempts for a 4.3 average. Looks like the running game is a wash. Nice Try Though.

Plus a lot of that comes from Brad Smith on the seminole/wildcat. Since the Dolphins torched us that first game in 2008 with the wildcat the Patriots have done a superb job of stopping it.

Plus a lot of that comes from Brad Smith on the seminole/wildcat. Since the Dolphins torched us that first game in 2008 with the wildcat the Patriots have done a superb job of stopping it.

You are correct Karguy, but you also need to take into account how many times LT needs to change his maxi pad during the game. This too could skew the yrds per attempt.

Why stats? Let it suffice to say that I believe the Jets will win because of the youthful Patriot defense. I think Bill B is brilliant and I suspect that after this year, the Pats will have a mini-dynasty. This year is the Jets year. Take that to the bank.

Why stats? Let it suffice to say that I believe the Jets will win because of the youthful Patriot defense. I think Bill B is brilliant and I suspect that after this year, the Pats will have a mini-dynasty. This year is the Jets year. Take that to the bank.

I nominate this for the pointless post of the year award. If this award doesn't exist yet, let's create it.

You'd better hope so, because the future isn't bright. As Patjew might say, "we know from old men."

You'd better hope so, because the future isn't bright. As Patjew might say, "we know from old men."

Absolutely--the Jets are an older team, particularly on defense.

I nominate this for the pointless post of the year award. If this award doesn't exist yet, let's create it.

Enough Rage----life is to short---I guess you are going to tell me that the New England defense is mature---Brilliant analysis.

I believe that the Jets will go down in flames because LT is a POS crybaby cancer. The next best thing to the Pats winning the superbowl is the Chargers winning the superbowl without LT.

Also, the Jets running game started out really strong and has faded in the last month and a half. In September, Tomlinson was the leader for Comeback Player of the Year, but surprisingly no one is talking about him that way anymore and he has been backing up Shonn Greene in recent weeks.

Enough Rage----life is to short---I guess you are going to tell me that the New England defense is mature---Brilliant analysis.

No rage at all. Its just pointless because you don't back up your analysis with any sort of evidence. Saying you think the Jets will win because of the Patriots' youthful defense does not articulate anything substantiating this claim. I could say I think the Patriots will win because we have many receivers under 5'11" and I would be giving the same amount of basis for my ridiculous claim as you just did.

I believe that the Jets will go down in flames because LT is a POS crybaby cancer. The next best thing to the Pats winning the superbowl is the Chargers winning the superbowl without LT.

LT---thats ironical in that the biggest cry baby in the NFL is pretty boy (now balding) Brady!

No rage at all. Its just pointless because you don't back up your analysis with any sort of evidence. Saying you think the Jets will win because of the Patriots' youthful defense does not articulate anything substantiating this claim. I could say I think the Patriots will win because we have many receivers under 5'11" and I would be giving the same amount of basis for my ridiculous claim as you just did.

Stats are for morons---I don't waste my time with them. I could easily bolster my claim of New England's lack of defense with stats---but thats not my style----You come back here Tuesday morning and I will give you more pointers.

Stats are for morons---I don't waste my time with them. I could easily bolster my claim of New England's lack of defense with stats---but thats not my style----You come back here Tuesday morning and I will give you more pointers.

So you prefer to talk trash here without providing any basis for your claims? okay... Just don't expect anyone here to take anything you say seriously.

So you prefer to talk trash here without providing any basis for your claims? okay... Just don't expect anyone here to take anything you say seriously.

Anyone here---well thats a shock--New England fans! You need to lighten up boy. Have a little fun.

Typical Jets fan. No substance, just sheer arrogance.

This may have already been said, but what is BB record when facing a team for the second time in a season?

Anyone here---well thats a shock--New England fans! You need to lighten up boy. Have a little fun.

Its not fun to talk to someone that only comes here to troll for no apparent reason. If you tried to discuss the game substantively, I'd welcome it (you could even crack some jokes while you did it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back