PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola's Hit on Fleming

Status
Not open for further replies.
That hit was actually the second time in the game I noticed Amendola playing too hard.

The first was on what I think was his first reception, when instead of going out of bounds on the left sideline, he turned and tried to go upfield, lowered his shoulder, and got no YAC for it. Given the outcome, he in retrospect should have spared himself the hits.

Amendola was clearly amped up for the game. Both examples were the kind of minor mistakes a good and enthusiastic football player can make.

I feel like that play was a turning point actually - Dola took a cheap shot but it was borderline within the rules. It showed that the pats were playing HARD and I think that KC tried to respond but were too soft.

I thought Fouts was decent. He has more of a pro-offense bias than an anti-Patriots bias, which is to be expected of the main man of the Air Coryell attack. He certainly had plenty of non-begrudging praise for Brady, Edelman, and the Pats offense in general.

In terms of his attitude, I agree; I didn't perceive the anti-Patriots bias others were complaining about.

The quantity of actually incorrect information was a bit annoying.

Why did Dola hit him?

This is my question as well. I can't remember another time where the receiving team blocked the kicking team solely to prevent the downing of a punt. What is the rule? Would it be legal to block the guy out of the way and return the punt?

This is my question as well. I can't remember another time where the receiving team blocked the kicking team solely to prevent the downing of a punt. What is the rule? Would it be legal to block the guy out of the way and return the punt?

The whole thing was odd.

I hope Dola isn't suspended this post season.

C'mon he hit him in the chin with his helmet...he did a little less than Burfict but Burfict has the history...wouldn't be shocked if he got a game off.

ETA: Never mind, reviewed it a bunch of times, was shoulder to chin, my bad.

Last edited:
Jeff Reinebold on Sky Sports was adamant it was a legal hit

(On a Pats sideline reception)

Fouts: "Looks like that elbow kicked up some chalk!"

*replay shows receiver's knee down two feet in bounds and his elbow six inches in bounds*

That's Dan Fouts. All. The. Time.

C'mon he hit him in the chin with his helmet...he did a little less than Burfict but Burfict has the history...wouldn't be shocked if he got a game off.

I disagree, his helmet didn't touch the mans head at all. If that was a tackle it would be a clean hit. Even the ex-head of refs when asked said it should have not been a foul. The game refs didn't get a chance to see it on slow mo replay.

Mike Carey gets most calls wrong. It's a running joke in my family. Even my wife and kids, who aren't serious fans, know and point it out when he makes a judgment that it will probably go the other way. He said that the call should be overturned when Brady made his scramble to the pylon, and he later focused on the technicalities of the defenseless receiver rule, when the penalty was for a blindside block. (The announcers relayed this information, which I assume came from the Ever Equanimous Dean Blandino, soon after the fact.)
There's always the joke of "whatever X says, do the opposite". But it's seldom as true as when Carey talks about a challenge on a play. It's almost always the oppossite of what he says. When he says "this ruling should be held up" it's like a kiss of death from a mob boss.

While I was "WTF was that?", a suspension would be complete, overblown punishment. Plays like that happen in every game, by some of the "cleanest" players. I think he deserved the penalty flag and a fine should be expected. DA is not a repeat offender, and should tone it down a bit so he doesn't become one. A suspension would piss me off a bit. I do like his toughness tho. Gotta have a little bit of fear from the opponents. I bet that guy calls a fair catch next time. :rolleyes:

sandlot-forever.jpg
You're killing me Smalls

In terms of his attitude, I agree; I didn't perceive the anti-Patriots bias others were complaining about.

I think a lot of people almost search for anti-pats bias. They will only hear complaints about the Pats, but not the complaints against the other team. I mean, it almost sounded like the announcers wanted to yell out "You guys are the worst ever at clock management" in the stadium PA to the Chiefs. As almost always, the commentators had bad stuff to say about both teams.

You give the other team one compliment and now you're rooting for them. Chiefs forum probably thought he was openly rooting for the Patriots.

I actually thought it was one of the dumbest plays of the year. Couldn't understand his thought process there, and noticed he wasn't on the field for a while (BB punished him ?). Though I was kinda chuckling about the "half the distance" penalty part, because really didn't make much of a difference field position wise.

BB did praise Amendola several times when talking about the WRs and Gronk getting open so I think all is forgiven. I think a suspension would be a bit much. Hell I thought Burfict getting suspended was ridiculous, we've seen hits just as hard as that during the year with no suspensions, just fines. Believe me, I was pissed about that hit because I wanted us to face Cincy.

The side if his helmet and pads hit just below the players head.

Was it vicious? Yes.

Was it illegal? I dunna know

Should he be suspended? Hell no but we know how much this league likes to go overboard with punishment

You give the other team one compliment and now you're rooting for them. Chiefs forum probably thought he was openly rooting for the Patriots.
I don't know, I thought Ian Eagle was gonna have an orgasm when the Chiefs scored their first TD to make the game 21-13. But maybe he was just trying to make the game sound more exciting. But he yelled "Chiefs are on the comeback trail !" And I laughed, was thinking, way to hide your bias there buddy.

But I loved when they went back to Bart Scott and all of those guys at halftime, you could see the Patriot's hatred on Scott's face during halftime, him and Gonzalez basically pleading with the Chiefs to come back. The look of utter despair on Scott's face postgame was priceless.

The most likely reason is to prevent the man from downing the football, in the hopes that the ball will bounce into the end zone.

Umm, that would not only be the 'most likely' but actually the ONLY reason. (Unless he got some stuff from jones before the game).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes