PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Albert Breer on Adalius Thomas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
he was against bringing in welker, i guess evaluating talent isnt belichickfan strongsuitsw
I wasn't against getting Welker (again, patsgo doesn't fully understand), I was just against paying a #2, #7 and a good sized contract. As it turns out Welker was worth it and I was wrong. I will say, though, I'm not convinced that we couldn't have gotten him cheaper; I think Belichick paid full price - and then some - for his value at the time and could have tried to wait out the Dolphins and paid less. He chose to pay full price to make sure he got him and, thankfully, Welker was worth it.

Last edited:
I wasn't against getting Welker (again, patsgo doesn't fully understand), I was just against paying a #2, #7 and a good sized contract. As it turns out Welker was worth it and I was wrong. I will say, though, I'm not convinced that we couldn't have gotten him cheaper; I think Belichick paid full price - and then some - for his value at the time and could have tried to wait out the Dolphins and paid less. He chose to pay full price to make sure he got him and, thankfully, Welker was worth it.

Please explain how waiting longer would have made it cheaper?

He was a restricted free agent so the only thing he could have saved was the 7.

i like a man who admits his mistakes, there may be hope for you yet belichickfan, now admit cassell wont be franchised, and ill be sending you a little message asking you to be my friend and buddy

Please explain how waiting longer would have made it cheaper?

He was a restricted free agent so the only thing he could have saved was the 7.
I think the Dolphins would possibly have taken less for him. From talking to Dolphin fans who seemed reliable I think Belichick possibly could have played poker and gotten him in a sign and trade (we did trade for him, not sign him as an RFA although he was an RFA) for a #3 or similar. Maybe not, we'll never know, and I'm happy how it worked out. But, clearly, Belichick knew what he wanted and, IMO, paid full price to make sure he got him. Had he passed, I think we may have still traded for him at a lesser cost.

now admit cassell wont be franchised
No-one knows right now, it depends on :

1) His play the rest of the way
2) The QB market

But if he plays well the rest of the way and the QB market isn't too congested then he will be Franchised. If he plays well the only way he won't be franchised is if a bunch of the UFA QB don't re-sign and glut the market.

No-one knows right now, it depends on :

1) His play the rest of the way
2) The QB market

But if he plays well the rest of the way and the QB market isn't too congested then he will be Franchised. If he plays well the only way he won't be franchised is if a bunch of the UFA QB don't re-sign and glut the market.

Huh? How can the Pats afford to franchise him? Theoretically the most they would use him for is the first 6 weeks of the season if Brady wasn't ready to go, but there is no way they are going to know that by the time they have to make the franchise designation. A team that does not overspend for anything isn't going to franchise a QB who might never play a down the following season, unless they have a pretty good idea that Brady isn't coming back at all next year. Are you talking a tag-n-trade? I think BB will just take his chances with O'Connell and Brady because that is the fiscally prudent thing to do. Odds are Brady will be back in time and able to go, and he won't waste the high price of a franchise tag on Cassell.

Huh? How can the Pats afford to franchise him?
There's 6 gazillion threads on this but Franchising him costs NOTHING as long as they are able to trade him. The only need to have the cap room available, which they already do.

Looks like Breer was full of s***, again.

Last edited:
I think the Dolphins would possibly have taken less for him. From talking to Dolphin fans who seemed reliable I think Belichick possibly could have played poker and gotten him in a sign and trade (we did trade for him, not sign him as an RFA although he was an RFA) for a #3 or similar. Maybe not, we'll never know, and I'm happy how it worked out. But, clearly, Belichick knew what he wanted and, IMO, paid full price to make sure he got him. Had he passed, I think we may have still traded for him at a lesser cost.

What the Dolphin fan you were talking to was thinking, in regards to a 3rd, was a high 3rd, like where Miami is used to drafting, in a good draft. So instead we traded out of the ass-end of the 2nd and 7th in a ****ty draft.

We had to poison-pill Welker just to get the leverage to offer the gentlemanly 7th to sign him away from Miami.

Last edited:
From talking to Dolphin fans who seemed reliable

Yeah suddenly you just lost a lot of credibility. Fans (and that certainly includes those of us at this site) know **** about the goings on in the NFL.

Yeah suddenly you just lost a lot of credibility. Fans (and that certainly includes those of us at this site) know **** about the goings on in the NFL.
I'm just telling patsgo my thinking at the time. A lot of Dolphin fans were thinking he may be non tendered so a #2 and #7 + a good sized contract seemed like a high price to pay back then. Obviously it looks like a nice deal now.

Not neccessarily but I was surprised Breer was so far off and wanted to see what others thought.
Breer was correct that the Pats gave Adalius' arm time to start healing - any patient can have setbacks, when that happens you re-evaluate and either continue or go in a new direction. Woods getting his jaw cracked certainly forced the Pats to readjust their thinking.

Did not see any posts, but was put on IR today.

There's 6 gazillion threads on this but Franchising him costs NOTHING as long as they are able to trade him. The only need to have the cap room available, which they already do.

geez, sorry about all the bashing BF. I've disagreed with you on some points but talk about ganging up on you like all these posters are know it alls.

I love how people get angry how some topics are posted as threads but if we got rid of half of them the board would be empty and they'd have nothing to whine about

geez, sorry about all the bashing BF. I've disagreed with you on some points but talk about ganging up on you like all these posters are know it alls.

I love how people get angry how some topics are posted as threads but if we got rid of half of them the board would be empty and they'd have nothing to whine about
I don't care, it is what it is. This should never have been bumped, it was valid and interesting at the time but now it's not. Breer was probably right when he said it, Thomas probably had a mild setback with an x ray that showed it wasn't healing quite fast enough and the move was made. Sh!t happens.

I don't care, it is what it is. This should never have been bumped, it was valid and interesting at the time but now it's not. Breer was probably right when he said it, Thomas probably had a mild setback with an x ray that showed it wasn't healing quite fast enough and the move was made. Sh!t happens.
my point to you is that when it comes to the patriots no media type has any sources at all, belichick runs the tightest ship in the league and the players are trained like robots when it comes to injuries, thats why i dont take anything the media says as gospel, hell riess doesnt get to many scoops he just posts the releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back