PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After we Beat down the Giants, Are The Pats the Best Team Ever?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

After the Pats beat down the Giants, Are they the best team ever?

• yes

Votes: 73 90.1%
  • no

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're now battle tested and ready to show you what for.

There was an element of luck in your win in OT, after Tynes missed 2 FGs

Brett showed some impatience last night by throwing that INT .. Instead of throwing it to the sideline (to the left of the WR), he threw it to his right where Webster could cut in and grab the ball...

Don't get me wrong ... The GMen played well in the 2nd half and outplayed the Packers but ultimately, it was a bit of luck in the end, with Brett making a mental mistake on a route he must have practised 100's of times..

I think the GMen also played well in the 16-0 game .. However, reality check.. As great a team as you are now, you cannot and will not beat the Patriots, who have seen every type of battle now and have beaten every other team (... one close one .. Ravens .. if there was one game they almost lost, it was that one)

In the SB, with TB firing on all cylinders, the blitzing GMen will pay heavily in TDs scored against them... There will be a battle perhaps but my bet is that TB will heavily outscore Eli....

This thread/poll reminds me of notes you'd pass in elementary school. "Do you like me? Yes [ ] No [ ] (check one)"

As usual, it seems to me this really comes down to how one defines "best". To me the statement implies this: the one team that would beat all others that ever existed, on a "level playing field".

As deeply as I revere the Pats, and as grateful as I am that they get to rub themselves so deeply into so many deserving s***faces (hopefully in perpetuity), I'm just not willing to go that far.

Last edited:
This thread/poll reminds me of notes you'd pass in elementary school. "Do you like me? Yes [ ] No [ ] (check one)"

Brilliant! Wish I'd thought of that...:rocker:

Well, I suppose we should wait a couple weeks to discuss........

But last time I checked, the Pats hadn't lost by 2 TDs to anyone, like that Bear team........I guess they didn't win before they got on the field that time. Or after they got on the field......

If the Pats were in the same time period and all does anyone think the 2007 Patriots would beat the 1989 49ers?

Even though they lost a game that year I think it would still be tough to beat them

If the Bears were scheduled against a different team then the phins that night and won, or Marino got hurt, and they won, would that have made the Bears a better Team?
The Bears are stupid.

There will always be a debate as to whether the 2007 Patriots are the best ever...

Despite the unblemished record and IF they end up 19-0 there will still be debate because anyone in here who has a brain can admit that the AFC East in 2007 may very well have been the worst and weakest division in NFL History thus it was 6 very easy wins for the Pats.

Just something to ponder......

if the pats win SB sunday there is no doubt they are the greatest team of all time period. great teams are measured by winning SBs and there win loss record . the pats if they win will have two more wins than the 72 phins .and last time i checked no team has ever gone 19 and 0 .case closed

I don't think so, I still think the 1985 Bears Team is the best I've ever seen, they had games won before they ever stepped on the field.

And they played their best in the playoffs.

I was just wondering if some of you yahoos really think the pats should be proclaimed as the best team ever?
if they were that good why did they lose to the dolphins ? nobody has ever gone 19 and 0 .my guess is youve never seen the 85 bears play a single game .and we are the yahoos ? lmao

All true, but I hope you're not hanging your hat on Sunday's game against the San Diego Cripples....uh, I mean Chargers.

What the hell are the NYG hanging their hat on?? Beating the Bucs (please) / Romo and the cowgirls who we beat by like 30, next! / the Packers with Favre giving the game aways with the gift INTs! Keep smoking the crackpipe ghetto wannabe..

F*ck the Gmen of the No one Freakin Cares football conference of sh*t teams!
PATS 38
midgets 21

All true, but I hope you're not hanging your hat on Sunday's game against the San Diego Cripples....uh, I mean Chargers.

Well they played some games before that...and I think they've won something like 18 in a row...

Uh.....there's a game in two weeks.

Think you could wait?

If you beat them, not when.

However, 16-0 and a Super Bowl win, I'd have to say that yes. This would be the greatest single season team of the Super Bowl era.

Though the lack of dominance in the playoffs may be perceived as a slight knock by some...

This is New England's 2007 regular season schedule (no playoffs games included). They played 13 different teams. Omit the names and it is evident this is one tough mother of a season to go 19-0 in. I think if things go well in two weeks the Pats have got a big case for best team EVER.

In order of kudos
(Note games 1-4 are away from home)

1. 2007 SB Champions, AFC South Winner
2. NFC Champion
3. AFC Championship Game Runner Up, AFC West Winner, last years AFC no.1 seed
4. NFC No.1 seed, NFC East Winner
5. 2006 SB Champions, AFC North Winner

6. The NFC no.6 (and won 1 post-season game)
7. The AFC no.7 (who went 10-6 and lost out in week 17)

8. The 2005 SB Runner Up (To NE)
9. The 2006 no.2 seed (2001 SB Champ) 200...forever no.1 defence)

10. In AFC Wildcard last year (lost to NE)
11. 2005 AFC North Champ
12. 2nd AFC East (To NE)

13. 1-15 team

That is a fairly formidable schedule. Now take this into account, NE only won by less than 17 points on 4 occasions (i'm counting the 2nd Jets game that was well in control and in bad weather).

These 4 games were the only time NE were ever really under pressure in the entire season. They were behind deep in the 4th yet still came back to win. These teams were:

The 2007 Champs (with HOF QB and no.1 scoring defence when both were undefeated). AWAY
The NFC champion. AWAY (in week 17)
The 2005 SB Runner up to NE (in week 12)
The 2001 SB Champs, 2006/7 AFC no.2 seed. AWAY (in week 13)

To me that maybe be the toughest season the NE could have had (with the jets and dolphins thrown in for pure entertainment) and they dominated the entire season. Best ever? i think they have a case if they win in the SB.

Last edited:
I voted no, because I consider this question unanswerable. We can't have teams from different eras actually play each other, nor compare them fairly due to a host of era-dependent variables.

I think it will be better simply to call the Pats "the most accomplished team of all time".

If you really think that, then you probably shouldn't have voted at all.

If you really think that, then you probably shouldn't have voted at all.

I take the (perhaps unjustified) liberty of rephrasing the question in my mind as "Would it be appropriate to call the Patriots the best team of all time?", knowing that posting a new topic phrased my way would be seen as redundant. Must be the stubborn Norwegian part of me...

Last edited:
I take the (perhaps unjustified) liberty of rephrasing the question in my mind as "Would it be appropriate to call the Patriots the best team of all time?", knowing that posting a new topic phrased my way would be seen as redundant. Must be the stubborn Norwegian part of me...

I understand what you are saying, but you are voting on something and changing the question to suit your own preference. I don't think that is fair to the overall outcome of the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News