PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After we Beat down the Giants, Are The Pats the Best Team Ever?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

After the Pats beat down the Giants, Are they the best team ever?

• yes

Votes: 73 90.1%
  • no

Votes: 8 9.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so, I still think the 1985 Bears Team is the best I've ever seen, they had games won before they ever stepped on the field.

And they played their best in the playoffs.

That Bears team only managed to win 1 superbowl with all that talent you speak off. And if a game was won before the team stepped onto the field, that would have to goto the Patriots. The 2007 Pats outprepare their opponents with the best coaching in the game. And once it gets to game time, it's just a matter of how MUCH they beat their opponents by.

I would say 4 Superbowl wins outtrumps 1 when you're talking about playing your best in the playoffs. Doesn't Tom Brady have the highest win percentage of any QB in the playoffs? Go back under your rock, troll. You're not going to win any arguments going against 19-0.

ROFLMAO!!!!:singing: What a Homer hahahahaha

See, now I never understood why "homer" has been used to insult other sports fans. It's one thing if a sports writer calls another sports writer a homer since they try (with varying degrees of success) to be as objective as possible. (see: Show, The Big)

Fans are always going to think their team is the best. So, if that makes me a "homer", fine.

I understand what you are saying, but you are voting on something and changing the question to suit your own preference. I don't think that is fair to the overall outcome of the poll.

In that case, and if others are of like mind, I give the board PTB permission to remove my vote (although given my 'druthers' there would be a third poll choice, such as "unsure" or "maybe").

Last edited:
Comparing teams from different era is kind of pointless. The way the game is played has changed, free agency, etc. If nothing else, the Patriots are by far the best team of the salary cap era.

I don't think so, I still think the 1985 Bears Team is the best I've ever seen, they had games won before they ever stepped on the field.

And they played their best in the playoffs.

I was just wondering if some of you yahoos really think the pats should be proclaimed as the best team ever?

There are only 2 factors that need to be considered;

1. Margin of victory

2. Record

"If" the Patriots win the superbowl, they will hold the record for both. So they will in FACT be the best team of all time. Not really up for debate, it will be fact.

Those two factors show dominance and consistency. The fact that the Bears lost a game to a crap team shows they lost focus. The best team of all time can't lose focus even for one game.

You're on an island pal.

The fact that the Bears lost a game to a crap team shows they lost focus. The best team of all time can't lose focus even for one game.

That Dolphins team was NOT crap. they were 12-4 and won the division. They were a very good team with a very good QB that did a very good job against their great defense.

What this really says, i think, is that even a great team can slip up against a quality opponent. Of course, the bears didn't have as many games against quality opponents as the patriots did this year.

The patriots schedule this year was VERY tough. That is what makes it all the more amazing.

There are only 2 factors that need to be considered;

1. Margin of victory

2. Record

Why are those the only factors that should be considered?

I could make an argument that, without certain rules changes, there is no way a team like the Pats stayed undefeated this year.

That's why the debate will never be "settled," outside of how certain fan bases feel about their own teams. Put the '85 Bears against these Pats 10 times (the ol' LT rule), and I'd be shocked if the Pats did better than split. Same with 1 or 2 of those 49er teams, and even the 92 Cowboys.

That said, if they get to 19-0, they will certainly have a strong argument for "the best," but that will never be settled completely, and always a subject of debate.

Definition:
best (bst)adj. Superlative of good.
1. Surpassing all others in excellence, achievement, or quality; most excellent:

Based on the definition, if the Patriots beat the Giants, they would surpass all others in excellence and achievement simply by winning 19 games. 19 wins is more than 17 wins, and therefore a greater achievement.

But since there's no real way to prove it, so this argument will go on forever if the Patriots win.

I haven't voted yet while I ponder the Pats' merits vs. the '89 49ers and '91 Redskins, but the '85 Bears' success is inflated by circumstance, IMO.

league relatively weak in offensive creativity .

The 2007 Pats would have done the same thing to the '86 and especially the '85 Bears. Brady would have killed their 46 blitz. We would have laughed at watching that Chicago secondary try to cover Moss, Welker and Stallworth much like we were laughing watching the Bears try to cover Nat Moore that MNF game when Miami beat them 38-24.

Regards,
Chris

Circumstances are that now we have free agency. NFL wanted parity. They have it for the most part. Most teams now are not very good or even good. Pretty much like NE division. Pathetically weak

Some teams are in a bigger market and can afford the big name hired guns.

Your speculation, regarding 2007 Pats and 85 Bears is all it is. Speculation.

Put the '85 Bears against these Pats 10 times (the ol' LT rule), and I'd be shocked if the Pats did better than split. Same with 1 or 2 of those 49er teams, and even the 92 Cowboys.

That said, if they get to 19-0, they will certainly have a strong argument for "the best," but that will never be settled completely, and always a subject of debate.

That's garbage. The 46 Defense was a limited scheme that would get shredded by 3, 4 and 5 WR formations.

The Bears Offense could never score with the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes