PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After Belichick who is worthy of a top 5 ranking of NFL head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is such a common misconception. They got better each year he was there, and who was the coach the last time the Cleveland Browns won a playoff game?

+1 - Taking a 3-13 team in four years to an 11-5 team with a playoff win (over
NE) before the idiot owner blows the team up was in my mind a fairly decent
job.

BB way above everyone. Best coach of all time, no one close.

Jeff Fisher
Tony Dungy
John Gruden
Bill Cowher (assuming he'll be back)
Romeo Crennel

Shanahan
Fisher
Coughlin
Reid
Holmgren

After BB..

Dungy
Fisher
Gruden
McCarthy
Coughlin

Jack Del Rio....hide and watch what happens to the teams this guy coaches in the next five years.

Some of my top would also have to be Coughlin, Reid and Shanahan. I think in a few years we may be able to add Romeo to the list. The Browns did have a much better season this year. I just want to see what Brady Quinn can do.

I would have to give kudos to Norvo. He may be part of the reason the team started off poorly. But he never game, up. Made some smart personal changes including trading for Chambers. And took that sucked at the beginning of the season to the AFCCG (hopefully not further). Compare that to others like Mangini and Cam who folded like a cheap suit.

I would also toss Coughlin on that list. He played a meaningless game like it meant the world and that propelled his team to the NFCCG or further. If they rested Giants would have been one and done.

I would have to give kudos to Norvo. He may be part of the reason the team started off poorly. But he never game, up. Made some smart personal changes including trading for Chambers. And took that sucked at the beginning of the season to the AFCCG (hopefully not further). Compare that to others like Mangini and Cam who folded like a cheap suit.

Don't forget Wade Phillips of those who folded.

shanahan
holmgren
reid
fischer
gruden

in no particular order. coughlin gets an honorable mention

Dennis Green
Art Shell
Eric Mangini
Tom Selleck
Tom Sizemore
Billy Joe Hobert
Billy Joe Tolliver

Belichick the best coach EVER?

Was Lombardi better? Thoughts?

I think BB is the best ever.

Re: Belichick the best coach EVER?

BB is the best coach I have had the privlige of seeing. I was born in '84, so to me dominant niners teams are hardly even distant memories (I just remember a lot of Montana talk).

I honestly, other than "the guy who used to coach the Packers" I don't know a whole lot about Lombardi.

BB is the best coach I have had the privlige of seeing. I was born in '84, so to me dominant niners teams are hardly even distant memories (I just remember a lot of Montana talk).

I honestly, other than "the guy who used to coach the Packers" I don't know a whole lot about Lombardi.

He's the guy they named the trophy after so he's pretty good. Maybe someday they will call it the Lombardi-Belichick trophy.

Given the salary cap and the modern game, Belichick is the best ever.

It's like in the NBA people saying old guys were great, but Bill Russell wouldn't be able to compete against Dwight Howard in today's game.

The game is better and harder than it was 50 years ago. Belichick is the best ever. Brady is the best ever.

Last edited:
Jack Del Rio....hide and watch what happens to the teams this guy coaches in the next five years.

I like you snake.

By the way who is this belichick guy you people are talking about? :wha:

Total sarcasm

Last edited:
I think Belichick is way ahead of any active NFL COACH but who is worthy of top 5 ranking after him?

Dungy has never been a top 5 coach to me,It always been Peyton and his receivers and Polian's draft selections carrying that team,Dungy proved in Tampa Bay that he is a product of the system

My ranking are as follows.....

1) Belichick - Alone at the top,And its not close
2) Reid - Has always handled issues with class whether it was T.O. or his sons situation
3) Shanahan - Has kept the team in contention nearly every season as except 2007
4) Gruden - Turned a Tampa Bay team into a respectable team ever since he got there
5) Del Rio - Has Jacksonville on the verge of becoming a very good team in the near future plus the quarterback move in early 2007 was very smart

1. Bellichik - of course
2. Dungy - don't hate, the guy has a ring and he's the one turned Buccaneers around, not Gruden
3. Holmgren - ends up here due to poor quality of alternatives. But let's be clear though, Seachickens suck
4. Coughlin - has Giants in playoffs every year. And he's surprisinly innovative.
5. That guy in Green Bay - worked wonders with an over rated and aging Favre

No matter one's rankings, I have to say your question draws attention the poor coaching epidemic sweeping through the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back