PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After Belichick who is worthy of a top 5 ranking of NFL head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I think Belichick is way ahead of any active NFL COACH but who is worthy of top 5 ranking after him?

Dungy has never been a top 5 coach to me,It always been Peyton and his receivers and Polian's draft selections carrying that team,Dungy proved in Tampa Bay that he is a product of the system

My ranking are as follows.....

1) Belichick - Alone at the top,And its not close
2) Reid - Has always handled issues with class whether it was T.O. or his sons situation
3) Shanahan - Has kept the team in contention nearly every season as except 2007
4) Gruden - Turned a Tampa Bay team into a respectable team ever since he got there
5) Del Rio - Has Jacksonville on the verge of becoming a very good team in the near future plus the quarterback move in early 2007 was very smart

Last edited:
Just posted in the other thread, but....

1998-2001 (Manning without Dungy)
Winning % .500
Division Championships 1
Playoff Appearances 2
Post-Season Wins: 0

2002-2007 (Manning with Dungy)
Winning % .760
Divison Championships 5
Playoff Appearances 6
Post-Season Wins 7

He's worthy of his praise.

Norv Turner
Eric Mangini
Marvin Lewis
Herm Edwards
Mike Nolan

Peyton runs that team...dungy gets credit..but not much. he left bucs, bucs won...

i would say

1. Belicheck
2. Reid
3. Gruden
4. Dungy
5. Del Rio
6. McCarthy...moving on up

No reggie wayne most of those early years,When Wayne came on the team and then James things changed big time...Dungy was not the difference IMO,It was guys like Wayne and James that turned it around.

If you want to give Dungy credit then maybe some of those great draft picks in the past few years were of his chosing as well as Polian's

Last edited:
This is an interesting question--reading King this morning, someone emailed him about a "golden age" of coaching, and I didn't think much of it. But presented this way, who really is a top coach? Suddenly, to me, the number drops a LOT.

King mentioned "Mike Holmgren. Tony Dungy. Mike Shanahan. Eric Mangini. Mike Tomlin." I'm sorry, but this is not a particularly impressive group to me. Dungy, whatever his failings in the post-season (and they are real) is a good coach who puts his team in the position to succeed. Holmgren I guess is pretty good--Seattle does contend in the NFC, even though I never feel that they're a particularly dangerous team. But they did arguably actually win the Super Bowl a couple years back. Mike Shanahan--I know BB respects him, and God knows Denver always gives the Pats fits, but have they won a playoff game without Elway yet? They've won one, right? Eric Mangini, enough about him. I suppose Mike Tomlin shows promise.

I think I might put Mike McCarthy up there--seems he's been able to actually retrain Favre, and that must have been a nightmare. I just can't bring myself to overly praise Coughlin. I mean, top 5? This is hard.

i'm going to sound crazy, but just for this season, norv's in the top 5

take away his past record like you would with a shanahan or a belichick, and he's looking good

an 11-5 HC (2-0 in the playoffs)

if you're talking the past 5 years, norv's well outside the top 5....well outside

i'm going to sound crazy, but just for this season, norv's in the top 5

take away his past record like you would with a shanahan or a belichick, and he's looking good

an 11-5 HC (2-0 in the playoffs)

if you're talking the past 5 years, norv's well outside the top 5....well outside

Nothing like bringing a 14-2 team to 11-5. Coach of the year.

Last edited:
Coughlin
Holmgren
Fisher
Reid
Shanahan

Jeff Fischer. He got Ten to the playoffs with an average team.

I like Dungy, although after he left TB they finally won it all with a new coach. My top 5 in no order are: Del Rio, Holmgren, Reid, Cowher (when he comes back), and Shanahan.

Last edited:
Who is the best coach is always an interesting question. I think the main problem here is separating the coach from the team/roster, which is almost an impossibility. Kind of a chicken/egg question.

Belichick is no doubt a good coach... he is the Coach of the Year for 2007. But you can fairly ask is it because off Belichick or Brady? After all, Belichick in Cleveland was not consider that good at all. And if you put Belichick in Oakland in 2007, would they be much better? Who knows. But like I said, you can't really separate the coach from the team though.

Of the current coaches, it's hard not to count Coughlin, Holmgren, McCarthy, Tomlin, Shanahan, Dungy, Del Rio and Reid. But not Mangina.

Some may disagree about Coughlin, but I would say any coach that can turn his team around from where they were ready to run him out of the locker room and no post season wins, to where he is now with 1 win away from playing in the Superbowl, he's not doubt a very good coach. We may not like him because of his personality (but that can be said with Belichick too), but he's good. Contrast that with Wade Philips. He inherited an awesome team and can't get them to win 1 game in the post season.

Like I said, a very interesting question to ponder.

Jeff Fischer. He got Ten to the playoffs with an average team.

People forget about Fisher, but he has to be number 2, and I don't think it's even close. The guy fields a pretty bad team and somehow managed to get them to the playoffs.

Romeo's starting to climb the charts, too.

After all, Belichick in Cleveland was not consider that good at all. And if you put Belichick in Oakland in 2007, would they be much better?

This is such a common misconception. They got better each year he was there, and who was the coach the last time the Cleveland Browns won a playoff game?

Dungy has never been a top 5 coach to me,It always been Peyton and his receivers and Polian's draft selections carrying that team,Dungy proved in Tampa Bay that he is a product of the system

Bill
Dungy
Reid
Shanahan
Fisher
Del Rio

Dungy delivered - rebuilt the defense, won a SB, and managed the on-field organization very well.

Belichick
Dungy
Shanahan
Fisher
Reid

I did forget Fisher who indeed would challenge Del Rio as a top 5 coach

curiously, no Holmgren...

I want to see what **** Jauron does next year--he may not be top 5, but he's definitely underrated imho

I don't think this can be based on one year, you need a body of work to see how good these guys are. So no Tomlin.

Dungy, Shanahan, Fisher, Reid, Holmgren, Gruden...that's more than five.

Del Rio, John Fox, Coughlin, are good too.

Lots of good coaches in this league.

Belichick is no doubt a good coach... he is the Coach of the Year for 2007. But you can fairly ask is it because off Belichick or Brady? After all, Belichick in Cleveland was not consider that good at all. And if you put Belichick in Oakland in 2007, would they be much better? Who knows. But like I said, you can't really separate the coach from the team though.

Are you serious?? This is the same type of thread as, is Brady a system QB? Anyone who does not acknowledge that BB is a great coach does not know football. There are lots of great players who are underutilized on mediocre teams, the key is knowing how to maximize the player and the teams potential.. Bill, up to this year, has done more with less than any other modern day coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes