PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After Belichick who is worthy of a top 5 ranking of NFL head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty didn't make Marlon McCree give up the ball. That's all I'm saying.

Games are never truly decided on 1 play. Every play in a game is an opportunity to swing the outcome in another direction. What about the other 70 or so plays in that game between offense and defense that SD had a chance to do more but failed?

You can't take the blame off of Marty just because of that one play. The Chargers were unquestionably the overall more talented team on the field that day and they failed to deliver. How you can't put that on the coach is beyond me.

The Chargers STILL haven't won as many games as they did last year.
Putting last year's playoff loss on Schottenheimer is unfair.
aside from the wins and losses...now you're just trying to start an arguement

only a complete ****** would say a HC who went 14-2 and lost in their first playoff game, has a better season than a HC who went 11-5 and has gone 2-0 in the playoffs, advancing farther then the last coach

think about it in that logical part of your brain which i know you possess

and you'll see your stance is clearly that of a ******.

Games are never truly decided on 1 play. Every play in a game is an opportunity to swing the outcome in another direction. What about the other 70 or so plays in that game between offense and defense that SD had a chance to do more but failed?

You can't take the blame off of Marty just because of that one play. The Chargers were unquestionably the overall more talented team on the field that day and they failed to deliver. How you can't put that on the coach is beyond me.
certain fans will take the blame off of marty and would have left the blame on marty if sd had kept marty

we call these fans ******ed and biased, and incapable of using logic that they possess....only to be trolls and act like morons

tommy knows he's looking ******ed, but he's doing it to start illogical arguements

he does a disservice to the smart pats fans the longer he breathes lol

certain fans will take the blame off of marty and would have left the blame on marty if sd had kept marty

we call these fans ******ed and biased, and incapable of using logic that they possess....only to be trolls and act like morons

tommy knows he's looking ******ed, but he's doing it to start illogical arguements

he does a disservice to the smart pats fans the longer he breathes lol
Really no need for namecalling or being an ass in general. I haven't done that to you.

My point is; I think Schottenheimer got a raw deal last year, and he was replaced by an inferior coach. The career records CLEARLY bear that out. Norv Turner has taken over a team that should have won a Super Bowl last year, and gotten them to this point, for that he should be credited; no doubt of that. Schottenheimer is a 200-win head coach, with a .614 winning percentage and will likely be a hall of famer. Turner is 69-87-1, including his 2-1 in the playoffs career.

I'm not attempting to start an argument here, but to put San Diego's lack of playoff success last year on Schottenheimer, and to put all of this year's success on Turner, isn't telling the whole story, and I think it's unfair to Schottenheimer, who I think had a better record with San Diego than Don Coryell. That's all. I don't understand where all your ****ishness is coming from.

Scott Norwood says "hello" as do countless thousands of other players who've made, or blown, the deciding play in a game.

As for Marty, it's not his fault that Byner and McCree put the ball on the ground, just to point out 2 obvious examples.

Really no need for namecalling or being an ass in general. I haven't done that to you.

My point is; I think Schottenheimer got a raw deal last year, and he was replaced by an inferior coach. The career records CLEARLY bear that out. Norv Turner has taken over a team that should have won a Super Bowl last year, and gotten them to this point, for that he should be credited; no doubt of that. Schottenheimer is a 200-win head coach, with a .614 winning percentage and will likely be a hall of famer. Turner is 69-87-1, including his 2-1 in the playoffs career.

I'm not attempting to start an argument here, but to put San Diego's lack of playoff success last year on Schottenheimer, and to put all of this year's success on Turner, isn't telling the whole story, and I think it's unfair to Schottenheimer, who I think had a better record with San Diego than Don Coryell. That's all. I don't understand where all your ****ishness is coming from.
he's actually 3-1 in the playoffs

the facts here though are this

marty is a playoff cancer

i'm not going to just sit back when fans were calling marty a playoff cancer last year, then when we ditch him they're going to flip flop on the matter and not call those people out.

if you are a fan who isn't aware of his horrendous playoff record, or a fan who doesn't think marty's a bad playoff hc, that's cool, that's your opinion

a fact is a fact though as much as you want to talk about what ifs

marty = 0-2 as a chargers playoff HC, and norv = 2-0 so far

and in any universe 2-0 always beats 0-2

it's a fact you simply can't spin, but if you want to be that bill oreilly, go right ahead.

Scott Norwood says "hello" as do countless thousands of other players who've made, or blown, the deciding play in a game.

As for Marty, it's not his fault that Byner and McCree put the ball on the ground, just to point out 2 obvious examples.
actually it is marty's fault, he panics in the playoffs and he makes for players who also do.

he even got a Personal Foul called on himself in the jets playoff game in the 04 season.

as for norwood, the bills screwed up late by not scoring a td

chances were blown, no game is lost on one play.

this is a fact.

marty apologists are the same people who were saying he was going to be the reason sd loses in the playoffs, last season

they're just a bunch of trolls

BB.
Reid.
Everyone else sucks.

Reid outcoached BB in our game against the Eagles. If he had had our talent....we wouldn't be undefeated. He almost beat us with much worse talent.

That was just amazing coaching in that game.

BB.
Reid.
Everyone else sucks.

Reid outcoached BB in our game against the Eagles. If he had had our talent....we wouldn't be undefeated. He almost beat us with much worse talent.

That was just amazing coaching in that game.

How was BB outcoached in SB 39?

I wouldn't hang the Eagles success on Reid. His DC Jim Johnson is outstanding.

actually it is marty's fault, he panics in the playoffs and he makes for players who also do.

he even got a Personal Foul called on himself in the jets playoff game in the 04 season.

as for norwood, the bills screwed up late by not scoring a td

chances were blown, no game is lost on one play.

this is a fact.

marty apologists are the same people who were saying he was going to be the reason sd loses in the playoffs, last season

they're just a bunch of trolls

I'm not a Marty apologist, but your post is nonsensical.

I wouldn't hang the Eagles success on Reid. His DC Jim Johnson is outstanding.

entirely agree...he might be the only one out there I'd consider taking over Dean Pees, and I LOVE Dean Pees

My point is; I think Schottenheimer got a raw deal last year, and he was replaced by an inferior coach. The career records CLEARLY bear that out.

Schottenheimer is better than Norv in taking a mediocre team and making them good. But Norv has outperformed Marty in taking a good team and winning playoff games. Those are two different types of skills.

BB would have been called an inferior coach in the past too if you looked at his record. He was 41-55 in his first 6 seasons.

And amazingly he didn't get to an overall .500 record as a coach until his NINTH season.

Last edited:
BB would have been called an inferior coach too if you looked at his record. He was under .500 for his first 6 seasons.

And amazingly he didn't get to .500 as a coach until SEASON NINE!

Where the hell do you get that? He went 11-5 in his 4th year, after two 7-9 seasons. Did you just make it up?

That Byner fumble had to have been the most heart-breaking moment in NFL history. Talk about a great kid, great running back, great game that he dominated, one yard to glory and - BAM. Game over.

Jeezuz. That just doesn't even make sense.

no order
McCarthy
Shannahan
Dungy
Reid/Holmgren

if im allowed to say Marthy Schot..he is easily up there over Reid/Holmgren

Last edited:
I think Belichick is way ahead of any active NFL COACH but who is worthy of top 5 ranking after him?

Dungy has never been a top 5 coach to me,It always been Peyton and his receivers and Polian's draft selections carrying that team,Dungy proved in Tampa Bay that he is a product of the system

My ranking are as follows.....

1) Belichick - Alone at the top,And its not close
2) Reid - Has always handled issues with class whether it was T.O. or his sons situation
3) Shanahan - Has kept the team in contention nearly every season as except 2007
4) Gruden - Turned a Tampa Bay team into a respectable team ever since he got there
5) Del Rio - Has Jacksonville on the verge of becoming a very good team in the near future plus the quarterback move in early 2007 was very smart

Del Rio has donea great job and is a class act!

BB would have been called an inferior coach in the past too if you looked at his record. He was 41-55 in his first 6 seasons.

And amazingly he didn't get to an overall .500 record as a coach until his NINTH season.

Where the hell do you get that? He went 11-5 in his 4th year, after two 7-9 seasons. Did you just make it up?

I'm talking about BB's OVERALL won/loss record through six seasons. It was 41-55. And his overall won/loss record as a head coach was BELOW .500 until midway through his ninth season. It took BB almost nine seasons to be a better than .500 coach in terms of his overall coaching record.

Last edited:
Re: Belichick the best coach EVER?

For a lot of these discussions, we need to distinguish between

"Best"
"Greatest", and
"Most successful"

BB knows and can do pretty much everything Bill Walsh did, or even Bill Parcells the motivator. And he certainly knows VASTLY more than Paul Brown, George Halas, et al. He's a better coach than any of them.

Does that make him "greater" than Walsh or Halas? Not necessarily.
I think I would agree with this statement.

Belichick is probably the best student of the game in many a year. He's come up with plenty of his own innovations, but also learned from the greats and adapted into his system what he sees fit.

Of course, in 20 years time, there will be coaches who will have studied Belichick and may have their own nuances which make them in their overall football knowledge and gameplans "better" coaches. That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll reach the "greatness" of Belichick.

Determining a "greatest" coach is, I believe, far harder than determining any "greatest" position player, which is in itself highly subjective.

Re: Belichick the best coach EVER?

The all time greatest was neither of them but John Heisman. Not only could he coach to greatness but he could keep his team focused.

While coaching the Georgia Tech Engineers they defeated the Cumberland College Bulldogs 222-0. Up 126–0 at halftime he stressed to him men the need to remain focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News