PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFCE contract news: D'Bust signs D'extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get why Ferguson would sign this contract if Florio is right. He is taking a gamble for what a little over $3 million extra this year. If he has an All Pro season, he could have made that much money and more next offseason. If he ends up being a product of having Faneca next to him and sucks, he could get cut. He probably would have seen the 2011 money of his rookie deal to prove himself without new deal, but could get cut if he flames out because the extra money to gamble he will rebound.

The Jets do have a risk here. What if Ferguson does have a disapointing season, but not a disaster? They gotta pay him the guaranteed money earned for playing in 2011 just to hope that he will rebound. If he ends up that he looked so good because of Faneca or is a poor pass blocker and it was just hidden because the Jets threw the least amount of any team last year, the Jets could end up on the hook for $30 something million guaranteed for a mediocre LT. But that isn't anymore of a risk than if they gave him the reported guaranteed money from the initial reports anyway.

Last edited:
BTW that is complete BS to say that Feeguson was told to ignore Freeneny and help out with a DT.

Go look at the highlights. Brick was not trying to block Freeney and the result was a he came in unblocked for two sacks.

Go look at the highlights. Brick was not trying to block Freeney and the result was a he came in unblocked for two sacks.

Exactly.

Mark Sanchez admitted that those 2 sacks were HIS fault.

So it was Ferguson's fault. Good for you guys to admit it. He blew the blocking assignment.

Exactly.

What do you expect the QB to do? How would it go over in the lockerroom if Sanchez said that Ferguson blew his assignment and caused the sack. Any QB with any sense will take the blame for anything having to do with the line. Those guys have his life in their hands - literally.

Exactly.

So now we have to read post game press conferences to assess statistics?
If you don't count DBusts sacks allowed because you have an excuse, should we count Sanchez' Ints dropped by the DB? And not consider that the same thing happens to everyone?
You can't use an excuse to hold the guy blameless for allowing pretty much the most sacks of any decent LT.

I wouldn't go as far to say I think he is mediocre. I think he is a good LT. Nothing more, nothing less. People make him out to be a great or even elite LT though. It seems from the contract that the Jets think he is good, but not mediocre. It does sugguest they are concerned that Faneca did make him look better than he really was and that with him gone and replaced by a rookie there is at least minor concerns his play will drop to his rookie year level where he truly was a bust.

I would define a mediocre LT as those that are between about the 13th and 20th best. I dont think its hard to find 12 better LTs than him.

I must say, thats a great contract for the Jets.

Theyve really covered their you know what. Ferguson has to play lights out and not get injured, or he'll be down the road.

There are many angles.
If in fact the contract is too high but there are escape clauses, escape could also mean they lose a capable player because they set his pay at too high a level and decide to cancel the deal on performance.
It doesnt have to be bad performance that cancels the deal and saves the Jets from him sucking, it can be mediocre performance up against elite pay that causes them to have to go searching for a LT.

What do you expect the QB to do? How would it go over in the lockerroom if Sanchez said that Ferguson blew his assignment and caused the sack. Any QB with any sense will take the blame for anything having to do with the line. Those guys have his life in their hands - literally.

Except Peyton, he has no problem blaming anyong but himself.

I would define a mediocre LT as those that are between about the 13th and 20th best. I dont think its hard to find 12 better LTs than him.

I consider mediocre to be below average. Ferguson is not below average. He is average to me. He is great run blocker and a mediocre pass blocker who gets credit for the fact that the Jets rarely passed last season.

I consider mediocre to be below average. Ferguson is not below average. He is average to me. He is great run blocker and a mediocre pass blocker who gets credit for the fact that the Jets rarely passed last season.
Mediocre means average. Wait did you say he is a great run blocker? I dont know where you would even find a Jet fan to agree with that.

I don't get why Ferguson would sign this contract if Florio is right. He is taking a gamble for what a little over $3 million extra this year. If he has an All Pro season, he could have made that much money and more next offseason. If he ends up being a product of having Faneca next to him and sucks, he could get cut. He probably would have seen the 2011 money of his rookie deal to prove himself without new deal, but could get cut if he flames out because the extra money to gamble he will rebound.

The Jets do have a risk here. What if Ferguson does have a disapointing season, but not a disaster? They gotta pay him the guaranteed money earned for playing in 2011 just to hope that he will rebound. If he ends up that he looked so good because of Faneca or is a poor pass blocker and it was just hidden because the Jets threw the least amount of any team last year, the Jets could end up on the hook for $30 something million guaranteed for a mediocre LT. But that isn't anymore of a risk than if they gave him the reported guaranteed money from the initial reports anyway.

There is no $30 something million guaranteed. There is potential that $30 something becomes guaranteed over time...which essentially means it isn't. Guaranteed money is earned the day you sign the deal. That's not remotely the case here. If they decide to roll the dice on 2011, they are on the hook for 2011 and 2012 or roughly $15.5 million in additional salary. Throw in the option and call it $19M and add in the 2010 salary and it's a 3 year $24M that is guaranteed for skill but not for injury... That's just bizarre considering he was still due $13M on his rookie deal. It's not a bad deal for them unless he has a better than expected 2010 and then tanks in 2011. Although even then they are off the hook for all but $10M in 2012 that they can probably spread across 2 cap years if the new CBA is anything like the old one. Meanwhile he has to basically play for his contract this season with no injury protection or the whole thing vanishes like a whiff of smoke. And if there is a work stoppage and they cut him prior to it or he's injured as the 2010 season ends, he's in no mans land. Conversely, if he emerges as a stud LT he is locked into a pay as you play/go deal he can't hold out on in protest because they built in $4M in training camp clauses.

I'll give Tannenbaum this...where BB is considered cautiously cheap, Tanny is increasingly emerging as pretty cut throat bottom line and that has a way of catching up with you even moreso short term in the hearts and minds of the locker room. He's set it up so he can hang on to one of his potential cornerstone players while not closing the door on a dump/swap for the other two if they prove to be the better long term investments. Whether the other two buy that strategy as genius or just increasingly come to the conclusion they are dealing with a gutter snake they can't trust not to screw with them too will be interesting to see. If the wheels on the wagon start to wobble this season, the other two may decide they want off the Tubby Wrecks bandwaggon regardless because they don't trust the FO not to screw them in an attempt to save Tanny's job.

Mediocre, according to dictionary.com:
"of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate"

That screams average to me, as does D'Brick, as does the contract he just got

I think that Brick got an OK deal IF HE IS NOT INJURED. The obvious need is an injurance contract that pays in case of injury. If he can get that policy for $2M for 2010 and a bit more in 2010, he is way ahead of the game.\\

BTW, I consider Light better than Brick, so it will be interesting to see what we offer Light next year.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't.

Mediocre | Define Mediocre at Dictionary.com

of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate

Related Words for : mediocre
poor, second-rate, average, fair, middling

In all fairness, while the common definition is average, there is an acceptable alternate definition that is 'average to below'

But yes, its common usage is average an ordinary.
I was going to cut and paste it but the picture of DBust next to it wouldnt have fit.

Wrecks Cryan is a meaty ogre....just sayin'

I kinda find that hard to believe that they would leave Freeney unprotected or left one one one with a TE or RB/FB.

Weren't you the one that said you watched more Jets games than I did?

The OL works as a cohesive unit, never differentiating from the scheme.

It was a mistake made by a rookie QB not to recognize Freeney was coming unblocked.

Twice.

The line worked exactly how it was supposed to.

Meaning Brick did nothing wrong and the sack is on the QB.

PFF dedicates 70 hours a week per person watching film.

Sorry that you feel an unbiased party holding the same opinion I do is somehow making things up.

This is why your site is widely regarded as a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back