PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Pro Bowl: Bob Sanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
How did this guy make the Pro Bowl roster? He has 91 tackles, one interception, no sacks and a forced fumble. Are the AFC free safeties really that bad? Let's see:

Erik Coleman, NYJ: 100 tackles, 2 interceptions and 1 sack.
Deon Grant, JAC: 59 tackles, 3 interceptions and 1.5 sacks
Chris Hope, PIT: 86 tackles, 3 interceptions and no sacks.
Kevin Kaesviharn, CIN: 78 tackles, 2 interceptions and 1 sack.
Lance Schulters, MIA: 73 tackles, 3 interceptions, 2 sacks and 1 forced fumble.
Troy Vincent, BUF: 61 tackles, 3 interceptions, no sacks and 2 forced fumbles.
Greg Wesley, KC: 61 tackles, 6 interceptions, no sacks and 1 forced fumble.

All of these safeties have, arguably, much better stats than Sanders, especially Coleman, Wesley and Hope. So why did Sanders make the Pro Bowl over these guys?

Last edited:
becuse he was such a big part of the Colts D :confused:

Besides Troy Poliomu (sp) of the Steelers, he's one of the best young safeties in the AFC.

I'm actually surprised his numbers aren't higher. Certainly seems like a guy that plays bigger than his stats. He's very hard hitter that plays with great speed and reactions (most of the time... he looked flat in the SD game). Jealous as hell that the Dolts have him.

For all the notoriety he's getting he doesn't seem to be much of a big play guy based on those numbers.

He's on the Colts.

Duh.

(You also have to remember 3 of Wesley's picks came against Brady)

Last edited:
Numbers don't tell the whole story. Sanders has perhaps been the biggest part of the Colts defense transformation into a respectable unit. He is the physicality of a finesse unit.

He's a Colt. Nuff said.
I'm surprised that they didn't send the entire team to the probowl. Afterall they were undefeated up until last week.
And as BB would say, "that's more than anyone else can say".

I'm sorry but Sanders does not impress me. After watching my binky "Rodney Harrison" play here for the past couple of years, this kid pales in comparison. IMHO.

That guy will rip your head off. He is a young Rodney!!! I don't care what team he plays for, he will ring your bell. Sanders has every right to be on the pro bowl roster and any fan of football who has seen him play should recognize that.

some of you nailed it - he is on the Dolts and thus was selected. simple product of media creation. I would not be totally shocked if NFL commish reverses the score of Colts - Chargers.

DrewWho? said:
some of you nailed it - he is on the Dolts and thus was selected. simple product of media creation. I would not be totally shocked if NFL commish reverses the score of Colts - Chargers.

You obviously don't watch to many colt games. I don't think June is that good as a linebacker, he is awesome in coverage but terrible in run support. Sanders is decent in coverage and great in run support. Plus he will drill a reciever coming over the middle. Sanders as far as I am concerned is the man that changed the mentality of the Colts D. He is the only guy on that D that I respect because of his physical play. Don't let your dislike for a team effect your opinion of every player on that team.

Sanders is a beast. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Hey I can't take anything away from the guy. The dude can play bro.

The one INT that Sanders had was against Tennessee where it went through a Titan's hands and basically fell into Sanders' lap as he was on ther ground, not a great play on his part at all. This year it seems the media has fallen in love with a few guys on the Colts D.

The guy clearly out plays his size-physique and was a big upgrade for the Colts.

If he doesnt have the clear cut best #s; he is # 2 in tackles AND he was on a 13-0 team (when most of voting took place). Any 13-0 team members are going to get a few tie-breakers. I think Pitt got a few more players when they were 15-1 too.

When it all comes down to it; it is a popularity contest; and not necessarilly the best football players. (How many people been watching Jester games this season?) We say this every year when Pats players get ignored.

Other teams could make an argument that Tedy shouldn't go because he missed half the season. That ignores his impact since then; but they could make the argument.

Gumby said:
The guy clearly out plays his size-physique and was a big upgrade for the Colts.

If he doesnt have the clear cut best #s; he is # 2 in tackles AND he was on a 13-0 team (when most of voting took place). Any 13-0 team members are going to get a few tie-breakers. I think Pitt got a few more players when they were 15-1 too.

When it all comes down to it; it is a popularity contest; and not necessarilly the best football players. (How many people been watching Jester games this season?) We say this every year when Pats players get ignored.

Other teams could make an argument that Tedy shouldn't go because he missed half the season. That ignores his impact since then; but they could make the argument.

This is partly true, but the fan vote only counts towards 1/3 of the selection process. The rest is made up by players and coaches. While Bob may not have better statistics than everyone else, he has been a difference maker this season. They guy flies all over the play and can lay some serious wood. Fans of the Patriots should know it's not all about the stats. Before this season, Brady wasn't always amongst the league leaders, but that didn't make his play any less valuable.

workhorse said:
This is partly true, but the fan vote only counts towards 1/3 of the selection process. The rest is made up by players and coaches. While Bob may not have better statistics than everyone else, he has been a difference maker this season. They guy flies all over the play and can lay some serious wood. Fans of the Patriots should know it's not all about the stats. Before this season, Brady wasn't always amongst the league leaders, but that didn't make his play any less valuable.

Right on. Sanders is one guy I'd love to see in a Pats uni.

Can't argue with the starting safeties

I can't argue with these two guys making the probowl but it is pretty funny that both of these guys still aren't quite the player Rodney was. I think they might be as they gain more experience.... Regardless, they still would have gotten the nod over Rodeny "No Respect" Harrison.

Even though Bob Sanders has arguably made a big difference for the Colts D, the Colts have still allowed 66.1% completions to opposing QBs, the highest completion rate for any defense in the NFL; this is even worse than last year's 65.1% completion rate. Though they haven't allowed too many yards passing, this is probably due to their horrible rush defense that teams take advantage; they have allowed 4.3 yards per carry to the running backs they have faced (I'll admit that this number is lower than the 4.6 ypc of last year).

If the pass completion rate has gotten worse, what exactly is Bob Sanders doing that is improving the defense? Though he may be supporting the run well, he is a free safety and his primary job is to defend the pass. Free safeties that do this should be the ones to make the Pro Bowl.

BTW, Cato June played safety in college at Michigan. He converted to linebacker when he came to the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back