PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Peterson - "NFL Players Work in Modern Day Slavery"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the entire interview and came to the conclusion that he's made a misinformed comment or is an idiot. Either or IMO. Haven't seen AP hang around something like this;

India-sweatshop.jpg
They are all smiling, they seem very happy. Whats the problem?
j/k

For the most part, NFL players have been pampered and spoiled throughout their entire life. They were always the special ones in high school, the girls loved them, the teachers took it easy on them, if they even bothered to go to class they hung out with the cool guys, no one messed with them. They were wined and dined in high school by colleges trying to get them to attend. When they went to college, most of them didn't even have to crack a book let alone pay a cent to go to schools that would usually cost closing in on $50k a year. They were once again wined and dined and given those special presents that we weren't supposed to find out about.

Next they find themselves drafted into the nfl getting paid millions of dollars a year. Fans love them, people pay them money just to show up and say hi, they get flown all over the world by people that just want to hang out with them.

Now they wake up, and for the first time in many of their young lives they are being told "no" They aren't being paid, they aren't getting what they want, they expected all the fans to scream for them to come back, but not everyone is. Sure their buddies, the sportscasters are siding with them, because they have to, but lots of fans are siding with the owners. That 3 million dollar house has that pesky mortgage and those damn property taxes, let alone the health care for their wives and kids.

It must be a huge shock to some of these players, and they are upset, and lets face it scared a bit, and mad, and whatever else. Many of them aren't very bright to begin with, and football is all they have ever known.

Unless it is settled soon it will just get worse and worse for the players. More and more of them will make stupid comments because they aren't being asked what Sunday's opponent will have to do to stop them. They are being asked tough questions, questions they have never been asked before.

For the most part, NFL players have been pampered and spoiled throughout their entire life. They were always the special ones in high school, the girls loved them, the teachers took it easy on them, if they even bothered to go to class they hung out with the cool guys, no one messed with them. They were wined and dined in high school by colleges trying to get them to attend. When they went to college, most of them didn't even have to crack a book let alone pay a cent to go to schools that would usually cost closing in on $50k a year. They were once again wined and dined and given those special presents that we weren't supposed to find out about.

Next they find themselves drafted into the nfl getting paid millions of dollars a year. Fans love them, people pay them money just to show up and say hi, they get flown all over the world by people that just want to hang out with them.

Now they wake up, and for the first time in many of their young lives they are being told "no" They aren't being paid, they aren't getting what they want, they expected all the fans to scream for them to come back, but not everyone is. Sure their buddies, the sportscasters are siding with them, because they have to, but lots of fans are siding with the owners. That 3 million dollar house has that pesky mortgage and those damn property taxes, let alone the health care for their wives and kids.

It must be a huge shock to some of these players, and they are upset, and lets face it scared a bit, and mad, and whatever else. Many of them aren't very bright to begin with, and football is all they have ever known.

Unless it is settled soon it will just get worse and worse for the players. More and more of them will make stupid comments because they aren't being asked what Sunday's opponent will have to do to stop them. They are being asked tough questions, questions they have never been asked before.
I think you are stereotyping all players by what a small minority have encountered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mendenhall backs Peterson's 'slave' comment - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Maybe it has something to do with being a RB and getting hit a lot. I don't know how else to explain this.
These idiots are so disconnected from the world around them that it isn't funny.

They are all smiling, they seem very happy. Whats the problem?
j/k
There is no problem. The "slaves" seem happier than the NFL players or more appropriate 'All Day' ;).

This is one of those comments, like "another Hitler" and the like, that people really should avoid. It's usually bad hyperbole (at best) and, if it's ever true, people will either realize it, or be too stupid/ignorant to waste the explanation on.
When you see a homeless person in the street do you walk over to him/her and tell him/her how to better live their life as a homeless person?

When you see a homeless person in the street do you walk over to him/her and tell him/her how to better live their life as a homeless person?

Are you upset because I don't think it was a smart thing for Peterson to say, or because you think people who don't get it when a legit comparison of that nature is made are generally on the ball when it comes to the given subject?

Perhaps you just misunderstood my post. It's late, and I've been up for a lot of hours, so it may have been worded badly. I'll delete it. Hopefully that will put your mind into a more relaxed state.

Last edited:
Are you upset because I don't think it was a smart thing for Peterson to say, or because you think people who don't get it when a legit comparison of that nature is made are generally on the ball when it comes to the given subject?
No I agree with you, I'm just amused by the qualification that people should avoid commenting on something (even though it's a completely ridiculous relationship Peterson is suggesting).

No I agree with you, I'm just amused by the qualification that people should avoid commenting on something (even though it's a completely ridiculous relationship Peterson is suggesting).

Well, It's a common sense thing, to me, because it pretty much always backfires, although I should have added that I was talking about people in the sort of position that Peterson is in. You or I saying it will just get us cross-eyed look from the listeners. Someone like Peterson opens himself up to nationwide derision.

Also, the "relaxed state" part of the last post seems snarky as I re-read it, and it wasn't meant to be. I was being serious and was trying to be sure I hadn't offended without intention, so my apologies if it came off as being ill intended.

It's been a long week, and I really need some sleep, so I'm just going to try, again, to get some. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Well, It's a common sense thing, to me, because it pretty much always backfires, although I should have added that I was talking about people in the sort of position that Peterson is in. You or I saying it will just get us cross-eyed look from the listeners. Someone like Peterson opens himself up to nationwide derision.

Also, the "relaxed state" part of the last post seems snarky as I re-read it, and it wasn't meant to be. I was being serious and was trying to be sure I hadn't offended without intention, so my apologies if it came off as being ill intended.

It's been a long week, and I really need some sleep, so I'm just going to try, again, to get some. Have a good day.
Get a good night's shut eye Deus. I'm sure some other player is going to give us some pearls of social wisdom in the next few days as it is.

Never liken anything to slavery, to Hitler, or to 9/11. You just cannot spin it to look good, so nobody should try. Remove those things from the analogy toolbox.

There is a difference with slavery. Hitler, 9/11, etc. were are historical events, things that happened in the past. Slavery is a current day problem, bigger now that it was in the 1600's, 1700's, or 1800's. When we only refer to it in the past tense, we support the current situation by contributing to the denial.

There's a good chance that there is a slave living within a couple of miles of someone who will read this post.

Amazon.com: The Slave Next Door: Human Trafficking and Slavery in America Today, With a New Preface (9780520268661): Kevin Bales, Ron Soodalter: Books

Amazon.com: The Slave Across the Street (9780982328682): Theresa Flores, PeggySue Wells: Books

Amazon.com: Not for Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade--and How We Can Fight It (9780061998836): David Batstone: Books

Slavery Today: Human Traficking :: National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

I think you are stereotyping all players by what a small minority have encountered.

Stereotyping perhaps, but do you really think that is incorrect? These players aren't living in the real world now, and most of them haven't lived there since college for sure and probably high school. Are there some brilliant people who play in the nfl, sure, are there some real good guys, sure. Are there many rocket scientists, doctors, or accountants? nope, most of them went to high school and college to play football. Having a job that pays you millions of dollars to lift and work out for 6 months out of the year and then play football for the other six doesn't really give you much incentive to study Maxwell's equation in the evenings at the local college. Lots of these guys suddenly don't have a job for the first time in their adult lives. They aren't being paid, it must be a huge shock.

Always puts a bad taste in my mouth to hear african americans make these references. It just shows you to be extremely ignorant of your own history. Its very disrespectful to the people who endured those ACTUAL hardships so your ass wouldn't have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News